Strategy The great, big ruckmen thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: mumford our number 1 ruckman

Look forward, not back.

The one area Saints have an advantage (IMO) is in the ruck - especially with Ottens current situation.

Really? How so?

I think the Saints have an advantage in the key forward dept, but I actually think their rucks are average at best.

Pity West was woeful in his chances at senior level. Mumford is very good, might overtake Blake pretty soon.

"Trent West had nine touches for the quarter and kicked a goal. He also had 34 hit outs for the match. "

Thats all i could find. Whoever does the GFC VFL reviews needs to take journo lessons :(
I still think West should be trialled as a CHB. I honestly think he could be a solid player there.

Pity West was woeful in his chances at senior level. Mumford is very good, might overtake Blake pretty soon.
How was westy woeful with his chance? he got alot more hitouts than mumford is gettting and more % to advantage! look at the stats both mumford and blake hit the ball to the other team all you have to do is watch a game to see that.

How was westy woeful with his chance? he got alot more hitouts than mumford is gettting and more % to advantage! look at the stats both mumford and blake hit the ball to the other team all you have to do is watch a game to see that.

Surely you don't need to be told that one handball is woeful. Blake gets criticised for not having enough influence outside the hitouts, why should West be immune?

The problem with Wests game was that he didn't get ANY stats at all when you don't include his few hit outs. I thought he deserved to get a few weeks in a row, but Mumford has been great.

Mummy or Blake ?

If the Granny was played tomorrow, who would you want as our number 2 ruckman ?

I recon as soon as Ottens comes back into the side, Blake will be omitted, and Mummy will be the new number 2!!.

Every game that Blake and Mummy have played together this year, Mummy has had 'way' more impact on the game than Blake.

It appears to me that whenever Blake gets it, he stuffs something up, & he doesn't really seem to have much impact in the ruck either, whereas Mummy is creative and a competitor and thrives on the contest which gives us another midfielder in the middle which is FAR more valuable than Blake.

What do you recon ?

Re: Mummy or Blake ?

As much as Mumford has improved out of sight this year, it would be incredibly harsh on Blake to be the one to go out for Ottens, especially after shouldering #1 ruck duties all year.

It seems people are getting caught up in Mummy hype (kind of understandable...love this man's ground level efforts) and forgetting how much Blake has improved.

Ottens won't be around forever. Mumford is only in his second year, so there is still plenty of time to build and improve on what he has achieved so far. We're extremely lucky to have such a talented 3rd ruckman...one that we plucked out of Bunyip and promoted from the rookie list at that :)

Mummy or Blake ?

If the Granny was played tomorrow, who would you want as our number 2 ruckman ?

I recon as soon as Ottens comes back into the side, Blake will be omitted, and Mummy will be the new number 2!!.

Every game that Blake and Mummy have played together this year, Mummy has had 'way' more impact on the game than Blake.

It appears to me that whenever Blake gets it, he stuffs something up, & he doesn't really seem to have much impact in the ruck either, whereas Mummy is creative and a competitor and thrives on the contest which gives us another midfielder in the middle which is FAR more valuable than Blake.

What do you recon ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blake gets more hitouts and has more clues on the ground about what to do, and sets up some classic hitouts to a midfielder or goalsneak. If you check out the supercoach scores, Blake is ahead most times. Blake will likely be #1. ruck, Mummy #2, if Ottens returns, he'll hardly have time to get fit enough to ruck, and could go forward .

An outsiders opinion guys, after going to the game on Sunday, i decided (at quarter time after it was obvious we were no hope) that i'd just imagine Essendon weren't playing and just watch a class team at work. You guys were absolutely sensational in every aspect of the game, and there was one player i was particularly impressed with...Shane Mumford. Boy, did i like the look of him. Now having not watched every Geelong game this season as closely as you fans, i can't give a definate decision on whether you should have Blake or Mumford in the side, but i can say, Mumford will be a player, that's for sure.

Do people really think that Blake's ruckwork is decent?

Forget stats, I'd like to hear a qualitative account from one of the people who constanty refer to this aspect of his game when the majority of us bag him.

Do people really think that Blake's ruckwork is decent?

personally, im undecided, but it is a tale of two cities from my perspective.

blake, is effective at centre bounces and next to useless around the ground (that shan pass to blake in the 1st or 2nd was bordering on comical)...mumford is useleless at centre bounces but is much more effective and agile around the ground.

if mumford had west's athleticism or leap this argument would be null an void.

I seriously hope Blake is carrying an injury no one knows about because he got thrown around like a rag doll today. Mistimed jumps. Got NOWHERE near the pill at center bounces mostly and got monstered at throw ins. Mummy had some great signs around the ground. Was no worse than Blake in then ruck, and had some nice pick ups at his feet, took a great contested grab in the last quarter. I would be staggered if they drop him once Ottens is fit. He appears to think light years faster than Blake and seems infinitely more comfortable at senior level. PREDICTION...Blake will (a) be playing the back end of this year for our VFL side, and (b) be traded at seasons end (provided he is out of contract) I'd bet the house on those two things happening. He is regressing. Rapidly. I'd ALOMST be tempted to ruck West and Mummy if we were playing next week.

I seriously hope Blake is carrying an injury no one knows about because he got thrown around like a rag doll today. Mistimed jumps. Got NOWHERE near the pill at center bounces mostly and got monstered at throw ins. Mummy had some great signs around the ground. Was no worse than Blake in then ruck, and had some nice pick ups at his feet, took a great contested grab in the last quarter. I would be staggered if they drop him once Ottens is fit. He appears to think light years faster than Blake and seems infinitely more comfortable at senior level. PREDICTION...Blake will (a) be playing the back end of this year for our VFL side, and (b) be traded at seasons end (provided he is out of contract) I'd bet the house on those two things happening. He is regressing. Rapidly. I'd ALOMST be tempted to ruck West and Mummy if we were playing next week.

well the boys are playing the dockers next game and will be facing bean pole sandipants in the ruck,and that cant be easy

....Mummy had some great signs around the ground. Was no worse than Blake in then ruck, and had some nice pick ups at his feet, took a great contested grab in the last quarter. I would be staggered if they drop him once Ottens is fit.

Crap. He had 7 possessions (zero kicks) and 1 mark today. He was an absolute non-factor in the game.

I'd ALOMST be tempted to ruck West and Mummy if we were playing next week.

Then we could field a ruck tandem comprising a bloke who had zero possessions in his last game, and a bloke who had zero kicks and 1 mark in his last game. Awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy The great, big ruckmen thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back