The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd suggest, where one of the grand finalists have higher "ranking" ( eg WC this year won right through whereas Dawks lost one final and had to win 2 more to get to the grannie, so WC had higher ranking) and is based in Perth and maybe Brisbane too, then there could be 2 grand finals, one at their home (Subiaco for this year) and then the finale at the G. I think the finale has to be at the G surely.
Then it's decided on who got most points total.
And everyone makes more money.

so its one game over 8 quarters?
so the start of the second game has the final score or the first game?

Keep it at the G!
Flew over for my first ever GF and just could not imagine the game being played anywhere else. Visiting this amazing stadium is all part of the day.

Sure our game plan got picked apart by the Hawks at the wider expanses of the G , but that's something the coaching staff should have planned for in the lead up. The fact that the Eagles players were soft, could not execute basic skills, fumbled and seemed overawed by the occasion is the real reason we lost.

In saying that, playing a few more games at the G instead of places like Tasmania is obviously going to give us that experience required come GF day. And this is what the Eagles hirachy have campaigning for over the years and will continue to do so.

The MCG is the perfect stadium for the grand final for many more reasons than just capacity, and it'd be a silly decision to move it. It should remain at the MCG and be played in the afternoon, indefinitely.

That being said, it's a huge advantage for teams like Hawthorn to be able to play the GF on their home turf. Not an 8-10 goal advantage, but an advantage nonetheless.

Keep it at the G!
Flew over for my first ever GF and just could not imagine the game being played anywhere else. Visiting this amazing stadium is all part of the day.

Sure our game plan got picked apart by the Hawks at the wider expanses of the G , but that's something the coaching staff should have planned for in the lead up. The fact that the Eagles players were soft, could not execute basic skills, fumbled and seemed overawed by the occasion is the real reason we lost.

In saying that, playing a few more games at the G instead of places like Tasmania is obviously going to give us that experience required come GF day. And this is what the Eagles hirachy have campaigning for over the years and will continue to do so.
Yep they really looked liek they were going to run over the top of the DAwks at start of the 2nd half. but they fkd up their chances, got bullied and were soft, and got broken too easily - ie by 2/3rds through the 3rd were a rabble. Too mentally weak and that will obviously have to be addressed. I really think for all their skill, this is the main advantage DAwks have - mental strength.

so its one game over 8 quarters?
so the start of the second game has the final score or the first game?
well it's 2 games, but effectively may as well be one game because the winner is the same whichever way you look at it. But it would affect teh record books - ie going down as one game each but X got more total points is different than X just won the double game.
I suppose you could also have a split game over 2 days - SAturday play in Perth or Bris 2 quarters, Sunday finish off at the G - that would mess with the player time off less.
In that case the Melbourne team would be told to come to Perth the afternoon before to even it up.

Been to two GFs - '05 and '06 - and wouldn't want to have seen them anywhere else but the G. That ground is something special and I will die happy having got to experience a Swan's premiership there.

Did you not understand that those statistics prove that it is not an unfair advantage that Victorian sides have?

Is it peer reviewed?
You could argue there are slight anomalies, such as the results are flawed anytime prior to the introduction of around the ground zones.

One could argue differently if you used a different section of results. (i.e. 2010 onwards).

Interstate teams: 1
Vic Teams: 3

If there is no home ground advantage then you'd have no problem rescheduling all games to be held at the MCG (Excluding finals) at an alternate venue.

But then we get the argument of contracts which just means "I have no way of providing anymore information to prove my point - so I'll just argue it was already determined to be the way it is and sweep it under the carpet".

Yet, why do interstate teams get referred to as having a home ground advantage.

For that matter why are interstate teams referred to as interstate teams, this is a national competition not a state level league? (This is a different discussion for a different day).

Is it peer reviewed?
You could argue there are slight anomalies, such as the results are flawed anytime prior to the introduction of around the ground zones.

One could argue differently if you used a different section of results. (i.e. 2010 onwards).

Interstate teams: 1
Vic Teams: 3

If there is no home ground advantage then you'd have no problem rescheduling all games to be held at the MCG (Excluding finals) at an alternate venue.

But then we get the argument of contracts which just means "I have no way of providing anymore information to prove my point - so I'll just argue it was already determined to be the way it is and sweep it under the carpet".

Yet, why do interstate teams get referred to as having a home ground advantage.

For that matter why are interstate teams referred to as interstate teams, this is a national competition not a state level league? (This is a different discussion for a different day).
But it's not a "section of results" though is it?

Love this spiritual home of football stuff.
I'm Western Australian, the spiritual home of football to me is Subiaco Oval. I would suspect most older South Australians would have a diferent version of the home of football other than it being the MCG as well. Most likely Football park, where like me from a WAFL perspective, they most probably watched their SANFL teams win flags, our State of Origin sides taking on the Vics.
The MCG is the the spiritual home of football for Victorians and the Spiritual home to the rest of Australia to the Australian Cricket Team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it's not a "section of results" though is it?

Well it is, the games evolved from man on man with true CHF/CHB to a around the ground zone, that requires playing a strategy relevant to the grounds dimensions (particularly home ground).

For some (not all) Melbourne teams that home ground is the MCG.

This allows those teams to refine a strategy for the oval that ultimately the championship game will be held on, whilst other teams don't get that luxury (Alas us only getting 1 game at the MCG).

I would love to see that statistic thus refined to.
Home Tenants vs Non home tenants.

or

(Collingwood/Melbourne/Hawthorn/Carlton/Richmond/Essendon)
vs
(The rest)

Well it is, the games evolved from man on man with true CHF/CHB to a around the ground zone, that requires playing a strategy relevant to the grounds dimensions (particularly home ground).

This allows those teams to refine a strategy for the oval that ultimately the championship game will be held on, whilst other teams don't get that luxury (Alas us only getting 1 game at the MCG).

or

vs
(The rest)
Of course it is not proof, but its all games, not a section.
For a more definitive view, you would need to take it over a way longer period, but at this time, it's all we have.
And the only 1 game is crap, this is the advantage bullshit the AFL give the Vics, all teams should get at least 3

Of course it is not proof, but its all games, not a section.
For a more definitive view, you would need to take it over a way longer period, but at this time, it's all we have.
And the only 1 game is crap, this is the advantage bullshit the AFL give the Vics, all teams should get at least 3

I agree with everything you said there.

Though I don't think the AFL means to give teams an advantage, more so they are too lazy to organize a schedule that allows all teams an equal (or set quota) of games at the MCG, whilst giving them a draw relevant to their previous ladder positioning.

All they want is blockbusters, for the monies.

It's a legitimate proposal... no need to be such a D*ck about it.
Or cap it so all teams only play on the ground 4 times per year + finals.

It's not a legitimate proposal. It's a rubbish proposal that was responded to appropriately.

Yours is equally rubbish.

:)

Maybe the andser is to move to another Perth ground that is same dimensions as MCG, or somehow widen the existing ground. either option very expensive but possibly worht it in the long run.
Having an odd shaped skinny home ground in WA is not a great policy for Grannie success. Btw how does the Bris ground shape up?

or

vs
(The rest)

Maybe the answer is to either widen the Perth ground or move to another, so that the ground is the same size and shape as the G.
Not good policy to have an unusually long and skinny ground for future grannie success. Very expensive option but maybe worth it in the long run.

The MCG is the perfect stadium for the grand final for many more reasons than just capacity, and it'd be a silly decision to move it. It should remain at the MCG and be played in the afternoon, indefinitely.

That being said, it's a huge advantage for teams like Hawthorn to be able to play the GF on their home turf. Not an 8-10 goal advantage, but an advantage nonetheless.

Where was that "advantage" in 2012? People, get over it. Hawthorn have won the previous three flags because they were the best and most professional team in the competition. The venue has nothing to do with it. Stop searching for excuses as to why other teams haven't measured up.

All teams outside of Victoria get more of a home ground advantage throughout the year because they don't share their ground with as many teams. If they can take advantage of that it will carry on through the first few weeks of the finals.

All teams outside of Victoria get more of a home ground advantage throughout the year because they don't share their ground with as many teams. If they can take advantage of that it will carry on through the first few weeks of the finals.
That's correct isn't it, we don't get to go over there and play 3-4 games a year, but saying that the GF is at the G, so they should get to play there more often.
IMO the home ground advantage is more to do with crowd support than travel, the gf takes that away to a degree.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back