news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This would be the main reason to back Whittaker, I don't think Chimaev has the tank to go 5.

A prime Whittaker yes, I think he's past his best now and he did cop a pasting against Costa even though he won.

I mean it's a banger of a fight though, a great fighter a bit past it vs a young fighter yet to peak.
Yeah prime Whittaker smashes Costa but he did control that for 14:30 it was only at the end of R1 getting dropped

That said, Chimaev is more dangerous than Costa!

Yeah prime Whittaker smashes Costa but he did control that for 14:30 it was only at the end of R1 getting dropped

That said, Chimaev is more dangerous than Costa!

I haven't rewatched but Whittaker won the majority of the 15 mins against Costa but Costa really managed to hurt him at times, dude must be able to crack.

Chimaev is still a bit unknown in some respects, his win against Burns was ugly but it was still a win against the #3 ranked guy. He started off like the clappers but he hasn't fought much recently, we'll get a fair picture of where he's at against Whittaker.

Though MMA fans being the way they are Whittaker will be over the hill and not that good if Chimaev cleans him up!

I haven't rewatched but Whittaker won the majority of the 15 mins against Costa but Costa really managed to hurt him at times, dude must be able to crack.

Chimaev is still a bit unknown in some respects, his win against Burns was ugly but it was still a win against the #3 ranked guy. He started off like the clappers but he hasn't fought much recently, we'll get a fair picture of where he's at against Whittaker.

Though MMA fans being the way they are Whittaker will be over the hill and not that good if Chimaev cleans him up!
LOL exactly, he'll probably always have his naysayers given the way he burst onto the scenes and the hype Dana had for him...

Chimaev does everything explosive with 100% effort, there's no set-ups or anything like a feint/jab/level change. Rob 'should' be able to see it coming and pick him off enough to survive and drown him once his cardio is gone

If Chimaev has developed more nuance (what a flog description but couldn't think of a better word lol) and cardio I think Rob could be in real trouble

LOL exactly, he'll probably always have his naysayers given the way he burst onto the scenes and the hype Dana had for him...

Chimaev does everything explosive with 100% effort, there's no set-ups or anything like a feint/jab/level change. Rob 'should' be able to see it coming and pick him off enough to survive and drown him once his cardio is gone

If Chimaev has developed more nuance (what a flog description but couldn't think of a better word lol) and cardio I think Rob could be in real trouble

MMA fighters can improve drastically from fight to fight, feels more noticeable than boxing. Chimaev is still green but maybe in his inactivity he's been upskilling, we'll see. Like I said a banger of a fight!

I feel like being an AFL fan helps understand fighters' declines, with there being a similar focus on physicality and endurance.

I see lots of opinions online from the international community being surprised when a fighter starts to decline in their early to mid 30s, like we also see with footy players. Like, no shit a 40 year old Tony Ferguson is washed - and it didn't surprise me 3 years ago either lol

It seems McNugs is going out with one huge final eff you.
ESPN has removed ads for Conor's return at 303.
Apparently Conor never signs bout agreements until late on so this is nothing new for him, he's still negotiating

the difference now is he has far less leverage while trying to bargain more $$$. UFC may very well tell him to gagf

Feel a bit sorry for Chandler but no one forced him to wait this long for a coke head.

Just saw that Nick Diaz and Tony Ferguson are on the same card but not fighting each other

What the hell, has there ever been a better matchup on paper of two absolutely cooked fighters who need to retire? Why would you put them out there to get destroyed by someone else. They shouldn't be fighting but the best case is against each

Just saw that Nick Diaz and Tony Ferguson are on the same card but not fighting each other

What the hell, has there ever been a better matchup on paper of two absolutely cooked fighters who need to retire? Why would you put them out there to get destroyed by someone else. They shouldn't be fighting but the best case is against each

The UFC wants older fighters to go out on a stretcher and have no prospects of fighting beyond their promotion. They tried feeding a 38 year old Nate Diaz to Chimaev on his way out.

This would be the main reason to back Whittaker, I don't think Chimaev has the tank to go 5.

A prime Whittaker yes, I think he's past his best now and he did cop a pasting against Costa even though he won.

I mean it's a banger of a fight though, a great fighter a bit past it vs a young fighter yet to peak.
Pasting? Costa landed a wicked spinning heel but Rob was Infront the rest of the fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pasting? Costa landed a wicked spinning heel but Rob was Infront the rest of the fight.
A bit like Bispings pasting against Anderson lol

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Never understood that, should have just done some stay busy fights until McGregor was ready, rumour is McGregor has a badly torn bicep.
Put yourself in Chandler's shoes.
Shiploads of coin, been in a heap of wars and has no real need to fight. I'd have done the same. If he was to have fought a couple times and lost, what does that do for him?

Shiploads of coin, been in a heap of wars and has no real need to fight. I'd have done the same. If he was to have fought a couple times and lost, what does that do for him?

I do get that but the new blood in 155 sucks, he isn’t losing to anyone outside the Top 5

Say he makes 1.5m for the Conor fight, which is pretty generous. He had time to fight 3x in this waiting period at least so he'd have been way ahead by staying active. 2 wins could have got him a title shot

No guarantee Conor even shows up for him to get the reward for waiting

Said if before too it's also about the exposure, if he becomes a household name like Poirier he can move into wrestling and make lots of money later aswell. Way more casuals no Poirier just from Conor

Say he makes 1.5m for the Conor fight, which is pretty generous. He had time to fight 3x in this waiting period at least so he'd have been way ahead by staying active. 2 wins could have got him a title shot

No guarantee Conor even shows up for him to get the reward for waiting
2 wins are far from guaranteed.
Chandler was well paid in Bellator and no doubt has done well $ from his 5 ufc fights (2 wins - 3 losses). 38 years old now. I think Conor is the icing and everything else doesn't really matter for Chandler.

Last edited:
At 170.. C'mon now.. Volk would get KO'd... Volk has made some poor calls this past 18 months.. from 25-1 to 26-4 and he only has himself to blame..

If McGregor does pull out they'd almost have to pull the card, McGregor is whats making the card.
"When" mystic mac.

I dont know, if the pay day is right Volk can be the hero, get paid, and even if he loses it doesnt impact his standing at his weight.

Feels like a no lose situation to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back