news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty hard to rate Jones at this point, he's had one fight in 5 years, I'd probably not even have him on the list
You've done the big man a tad dirty. JJ has fought 3 times in the past 5 years, but soon to be twice in 5 years.
July 6 2019 Santos.
Feb 8 2020 Reyes
March 4 2023 Gane
Still, not a lot of action.

You've done the big man a tad dirty. JJ has fought 3 times in the past 5 years, but soon to be twice in 5 years.
July 6 2019 Santos.
Feb 8 2020 Reyes
March 4 2023 Gane
Still, not a lot of action.

Ah true, thought Reyes was 2019. Anyway yeah he’s on the list with a bunch of way more active fighters, surely activity comes into it too?

If Jiri goes down to middle weight, its going be the greatest pointy end of a division since early Jon Jones career, when he fought Machida, Rampage, Rua, Belfort and Evans in a row.
Nah lightweight still kills middle weight, middle weight is weak

Not for me. With Jiri MW Top 5 is literally 5 champs in their primes. Lightweight has 2, with Gajethe/Poirier talking retirement.
Doesn't matter if they talking retirement, DP is hall of fame even without a title, guys like Fiziev outside the top 5 are killers. Mw is shit outside of Strickland and Rob

Doesn't matter if they talking retirement, DP is hall of fame even without a title, guys like Fiziev outside the top 5 are killers. Mw is shit outside of Strickland and Rob
It does matter, they aren't prime and DP and Gajethe have no technique, no defensive strategy. They scrap but really have the reason they are HOF is the weakness of that division for so long. Gajethe getting pieced and starched by a feather weight is evidence of that. They could not have a technical fight like Strickland/Izzy or Whitaker/Izzy 2. Also outside top 5 is not pointy end. DDP, Strickland, Rob, Izzy and Jiri smokes their top 5.

It does matter, they aren't prime and DP and Gajethe have no technique, no defensive strategy. They scrap but really have the reason they are HOF is the weakness of that division for so long. Gajethe getting pieced and starched by a feather weight is evidence of that. They could not have a technical fight like Strickland/Izzy or Whitaker/Izzy 2. Also outside top 5 is not pointy end. DDP, Strickland, Rob, Izzy and Jiri smokes their top 5.
Lol that's an insane thing to say. DPs boxing technique is a mile better than Costa, DDP and even Strickland. Strickland has a shoulder roll and one two combination with Grit. His actual technique is shit. You keep adding Jiri, I love Jiri but one his actual technique is shit and 2 he ain't a middle weight until he makes little weight. He's a power striker with technique.

Also I like DDP, he's the least technical champion in the whole UFC, Islam has better technique and he's not a striker predominantly

Lol at Gaethje getting starched by a featherweight, yeah Holloway who's top 5 in the UFC at boxing and went from 145-155 which ain't that crazy of a jump. Middleweights is weak as **** outside the top couple

Lol that's an insane thing to say. DPs boxing technique is a mile better than Costa, DDP and even Strickland. Strickland has a shoulder roll and one two combination with Grit. His actual technique is shit. You keep adding Jiri, I love Jiri but one his actual technique is shit and 2 he ain't a middle weight until he makes little weight. He's a power striker with technique.

Lol at Gaethje getting starched by a featherweight, yeah Holloway who's top 5 in the UFC at boxing and went from 145-155 which ain't that crazy of a jump.

He's 2 and 3 in his last 5 fights with no wins over top 10. I've loved DP's career but you're talking about old DP, he's so much not a threat to top guys that Islam literally fought the fight on his terms as a good news story. The last time he had a top 5 win was 2019. He's very hittable, unlike Izzy, Rob and Strickland. At the same power as the middle weights, he'd be braindead with the amount of hits he's taken, same with Gajethe.

Middleweights is weak as **** outside the top couple

Almost like I said the pointy end. AKA top 5.

He's 2 and 3 in his last 5 fights with no wins over top 10. I've loved DP's career but you're talking about old DP, he's so much not a threat to top guys that Islam literally fought the fight on his terms as a good news story. The last time he had a top 5 win was 2019.

Almost like I said the pointy end. AKA top 5.
Nah that's shit. You're using false logic, the title challenger Dog****er is 4-3 in his last 7 fights. Strickland got destroyed by the LHW champ if you wanna play that game.

The LW top 10 are killers. The middleweight division has Rob, Izzy DDP and Strickland and DDP fights like a drunken bar guy, Izzys on the decline and Strickland Philly shells and wins decisions.

155 is full of killers, Islam is arguably the most complete fighter in the UFC or else DP would have been a champion already. The fact that Strickland was the middleweight world champ lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah that's shit. You're using false logic, the title challenger Dog****er is 4-3 in his last 7 fights. Strickland got destroyed by the LHW champ if you wanna play that game.

The LW top 10 are killers. The middleweight division has Rob, Izzy DDP and Strickland and DDP fights like a drunken bar guy, Izzys on the decline and Strickland Philly shells and wins decisions.

155 is full of killers, Islam is arguably the most complete fighter in the UFC or else DP would have been a champion already. The fact that Strickland was the middleweight world champ lol

Re 155 I reckon you could make the argument that Volk v Islam is the highest level MMA fight we’ve seen, incredible how far the sport has come really

Re 155 I reckon you could make the argument that Volk v Islam is the highest level MMA fight we’ve seen, incredible how far the sport has come really
Yeah I agree, They basically fought at an elite level on the ground and the feet and it swung from start to end.

Meanwhile the middleweight champ before DDP was embarrassed on the feet and that's the elite division lol

Imagine saying Izzy is a bad striker and acting like you're making a valid point. Meanwhile the either division trades blows cause none of them have any range management skills.

Imagine saying Izzy is a bad striker and acting like you're making a valid point. Meanwhile the either division trades blows cause none of them have any range management skills.
Imagine your only argument is something I've never said and you'll realise why you've lost this.

Imagine your only argument is something I've never said and you'll realise why you've lost this.

You literally just implied that "and that's the elite division". As if what Strickland did wasn't very impressive against an amazing top 10 in the history of the ufc striker. No one can do this at light weight because they are all just bleed brawlers.

You literally just implied that "and that's the elite division". As if what Strickland did wasn't very impressive against an amazing top 10 in the history of the ufc striker. No one can do this at light weight because they are all just bleed brawlers.
Nah you're moving the goalposts now. I never said Izzy was a bad striker. Izzy's a great striker with no wrestling.

The champ at 155 is complete, the champ at 145 and before (Volk) were complete.

Strickland's walk forward 1/2 philly doesn't ever win the 155 title

Nah you're moving the goalposts now. I never said Izzy was a bad striker. Izzy's a great striker with no wrestling.

The champ at 155 is complete, the champ at 145 and before (Volk) were complete.

Strickland's walk forward 1/2 philly doesn't ever win the 155 title

Volk and Islam are/were definitely better champs. Are arguably the top 5 champs of all time with JJ, Silva and GSP. But I think the guys challenging them would not be close in other divisions. Frankly I put Gajethe and DP in the class of Costa. Talented strikers, but they are scrappers. I want that range, that in and out with out taking damage, not just biting the mouth piece.

The problem with that division is Volk and Max are way more deserving of title shots than anyone actually in the division.

Stricklands not taking Islam, but he's taking Oliveria, Gajethe and Poirier.

Izzy's wrestling is a bit under rated. Has a decent take down defense ratio without being elite but no one's been able to hold him down at middle weight. Managed to avoid Romero and Vettori as pure wrestlers.

Only really Jan, even managed to stand up against him and he was minimum 20 pounds on him, but not counting any fight outside of either division against any one in this.

Volk and Islam are/were definitely better champs. Are arguably the top 5 champs of all time with JJ, Silva and GSP. But I think the guys challenging them would not be close in other divisions. Frankly I put Gajethe and DP in the class of Costa. Talented strikers, but they are scrappers. I want that range, that in and out with out taking damage, not just biting the mouth piece.

The problem with that division is Volk and Max are way more deserving of title shots than anyone actually in the division.

Stricklands not taking Islam, but he's taking Oliveria, Gajethe and Poirier.

Izzy's wrestling is a bit under rated. Has a decent take down defense ratio without being elite but no one's been able to hold him down at middle weight. Managed to avoid Romero and Vettori as pure wrestlers.

Only really Jan, even managed to stand up against him and he was minimum 20 pounds on him, but not counting any fight outside of either division against any one in this.
I'll leave it at this because it's all opinion mate but Dustin Poirier kills Strickland's basic rhythm.

It's very rookie to discount Poirier just because he didn't get the title and then big up Strickland when his resume isn't half of Poirier.
Outside of Hill Strickland is the worst credintialed champ in years
Poatan won the middleweight title about half a pound away from dying. You tell me who's winning the 155 title 7 fights into their MMA career lol.

I'll leave it at this because it's all opinion mate but Dustin Poirier kills Strickland's basic rhythm.

It's very rookie to discount Poirier just because he didn't get the title and then big up Strickland when his resume isn't half of Poirier.
Outside of Hill Strickland is the worst credintialed champ in years
Poatan won the middleweight title about half a pound away from dying. You tell me who's winning the 155 title 7 fights into their MMA career lol.

I think it’s hard to compare weight classes, size and strength becomes so much more important as you go up. I mean just look at the guts on half the HW division and at bantamweights, it’s ridiculous. But weight on its own can be crucial at HW if you use it right.

I think it’s hard to compare weight classes, size and strength becomes so much more important as you go up. I mean just look at the guts on half the HW division and at bantamweights, it’s ridiculous. But weight on its own can be crucial at HW if you use it right.
Not really though, Tai made it to #3 in the heavyweight division with **** all kickboxing skills and no wrestling. Heavyweight is weak af really, most guys are between 145-185 that's where the talent is. The technical skills of a Volk/Holloway/Islam/Leon etc are miles above the higher weight classes outside unicorns like Aspinall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back