the baby hawks are hell impressive

Remove this Banner Ad

They've been impressive.

But it's actually been the mid career players that have impressed me most. Hardwick, Moore, Chol, Scrimshaw, Impey, Amon and Worpel as a collective have been much better than I expected. I think I just underrated them. None of them are old but they're mature bodies.

Add in Day who looks a flat out superstar and you've got a very competitive team.

The kids have done ok. Weddle looks great, Makenzie and Dear talented, etc. But it's not the really young ones that have shifted the momentum for them.
Looks like the hawks are getting that mix right. Still a few pieces missing from the puzzle.
Just for fun, Saturday's team average 25.3 years and 98 games. The 08 premiership team was 24.7 years and 107 games.
The time for this group to show a bit is now!
Freo, NM and Adelaide all fielded younger teams this weekend.

I've always thought it's were we finish next year is the key.

Don't won't to be this years Adelaide next season.

Still about 4/5 players short of what we need, would absolutely love Nick Larkey in our goal square, 2 more mids would be better and another KD as well.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah no one is taking Hawks under 25 list over Gold Coasts… probably not even Sam Mitchell :D
As you are new to the sport it’s necessary that you move beyond the hackneyed observations you’ve developed since expressing an interest in footy. Look less at names on a piece of paper and more game plan and in-game tactics; that should help clarify your thoughts. Sydney has only 3 bona fide stars, supported by a host of players who are able to consistently execute their roles.

I've always thought it's were we finish next year is the key.

Don't won't to be this years Adelaide next season.

Still about 4/5 players short of what we need, would absolutely love Nick Larkey in our goal square, 2 more mids would be better and another KD as well.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Larkey is signed up at North Melbourne until 2030. Look elsewhere.

Didn't realise Hawks were that old. Time to Carltank!

You are in the same spot as Essendon.

Terrible list builds.

False perception of youth.

List being heavily propped up by a large stack of senior players on the verge of retirement.

Current momentum will be short lived as they drop off.

Going no-where fast.

You are in the same spot as Essendon.

Terrible list builds.

False perception of youth.

List being heavily propped up by a large stack of senior players on the verge of retirement.

Current momentum will be short lived as they drop off.

Going no-where fast.
If it wasn’t bad enough when you stated that VFL was Harley Reid’s level you go and write something as wrong as this.

Last edited:
If it wasn’t bad enough when you stated that VFL was Harley Reid’s level you go and write something is wrong as this.

Another casual fan getting sucked into the Harley Reid highlights package.

Most young players come into the system with skill but lack the body to compete.

Harely already has the body. I genuinely struggle to see where his improvement comes from.

If we are already witnessing his peak he is a statistically "average" or "below average" footballer.

1718749355256.png

For comparison here is what a good young footballer looks like.

1718749548524.png

Most young players come into the system with skill but lack the body to compete.

Harely already has the body. I genuinely struggle to see where his improvement comes from.

If we are already witnessing his peak he is a statistically "average" or "below average" footballer.

View attachment 2023760

View attachment 2023762
Thanks for doubling down and proving my point about your opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2023760

View attachment 2023762
His peak? At 19? What the actual ****? What are you smoking?

Refer Daniel Rich.

Physically ready from day 1.

Never improved thereafter.

😘
Refer Jordan Lewis:

Physically ready day 1 (actually got lighter as he got older) and continued to improve each year until he was about 31.

Another 3peat is coming Hawthorn's way. Better build a bigger trophy cabinet at Hawthorn's new HQ!
1 is enough.. Aside from 1999-2001, in the AFL Era, the Hawks have never really been a mid tier side. Either winning flags or rebuilding. Doubt Gunston/Breust will make it but it would be nice if Frost/Sicily get a flag. But lots of water to go under the bridge

Didn’t even bother trying to make counter points…

I’m just putting the hyperbole into perspective. We are all miles behind Gold Coast, Sydney and GWS in the young talent stakes. Best not delude ourselves into thinking otherwise

Sydney? clearly.

Gold Coast? Yes, but what are they actually getting out of their young talent? Still can't win a game away from home. If and when it clicks they will be a scary proposition, but for now I want to see them win on the road and show the consistency required to compete with the elite sides of the competition.

GWS? One of the most talented lists in the comp, but is that because of the young players?
The real talent driving that football club are still the likes Greene, Kelly, Taylor, Coniglio, Hogan etc.
Green and Callaghan in particular could and should be stars, but are they automatically more promising than Day. Newcombe and Weddle by comparison?

Do Harvey Thomas and Connor Stone (as young small forwards) look more promising than Ginnivan and Watson?

Calsher Dear is actually tracking along better in many statistical categories than Aaron Cadman also.

I love watching the Giants play footy, but I wouldn't say their 'young' talent is better than Hawthorn's.

View attachment 2023760

View attachment 2023762

24 year old in his 6th season does better than 19 year old in his 1st.

I mean that just ****ing blows me away. No really.

No man's land isn't fair. They don't have key players coming to an end for a while and they have plenty of young players who could improve a lot before then. Who knows how good they could be.

But the turn around this year has mainly been about getting more mature along with getting their best player (Day) back. Compare the team against Richmond to the team that was thumped by Gold Coast earlier in the year:

Ins - Breust (33), Gunston (32), Jiath (25), Day (23), D'Ambrosio (21), Watson (19), Dear (18)

Outs - Maginness (23), Butler (21), MacDonald (21), Mitchell (21), Ramsden (20), Ward (20), Hustwaite (19)

They've gone from very young early in the season to youngish now. They were much older than Adelaide's team last week, comfortably older than North and similar to Freo, GWS and Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

the baby hawks are hell impressive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back