The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

When the AFL media are calling for no suspension and most sensible oppo fans on various media platforms are as well, then the tribunal will come down on that side.
Group, meet non-sensible oppo fan.
He’s a cheap thug with priors and it was worthy of a one game suspension. Wears the hoops though
Read the room, the AFL industry and most fans aren't all wrong and you're right.

Thought it deserved a week due to the pinning of the arms.

I give up on trying to guess it though. It all depends on the lawyers/good guy discount/how well you can argue.

We've been on the end of some actions getting off that clearly should've been upheld over the years.

Yes same, a week would’ve been fair I believe. It’s anyones guess however with these decisions.

You should take your own advice pal.

Didn’t you make a big song and dance about you leaving this place? If only you kept your word for once 🙂
Will never run out of time or energy to call out your dribblings.
Or lose my interest in footy.
I think the most dangerous part of the tackle was the hip drop technique - there's a big reason they've outlawed that technique in the NRL and NFL.

He shouldn't be suspended for that at the moment but it very much should be looked at.
Was actually a key part that got him off.
The day rules are changed so that tackles like this are rubbed out is when the games truly gone.

Violent slings. Fair enough.

This was a legitimate tackle, and the AFL cannot seemingly rationalise that incidental head contact in football acts will always still occur, and that's to the detriment of the game as a whole.

Yes same, a week would’ve been fair I believe. It’s anyones guess however with these decisions.
It's the same action that hurt Naughtons knee, but because it wasn't the head that one was fine and no big deal.

There's no consistency.

Was actually a key part that got him off.
The day rules are changed so that tackles like this are rubbed out is when the games truly gone.

Violent slings. Fair enough.

This was a legitimate tackle, and the AFL cannot seemingly rationalise that incidental head contact in football acts will always still occur, and that's to the detriment of the game as a whole.
Tell me you haven't seen the injuries a hip drop tackle causes without telling me you haven't seen the injuries a hip drop tackle causes.

There is a reason one of the biggest football leagues globally has decided that type of tackle is too dangerous and needs to be outlawed.

So the big song and dance announcing your departure from this place was all for attention? Got it.

As for you trying to engage me - please refrain. I have no idea why you keep tagging me/abusing me on the main board either. It’s f***ing weird. I haven’t posted there on this account. You should’ve taken the hint the first 15 times I ignored you. I also just noticed you have me in you sig. Get a grip. Honestly 🤦‍♂️

I have no interest in discussing anything with you. Your whole account is abusing and harassing people that don’t agree with you, even though they’ve been proven correct time and time again.

I don’t even have to respond to you to make you look stupid. You jump the gun. You did it with Spurs and you did it with Geelong. And you’ll no doubt do it again.

So don’t quote me, don’t tag me, don’t mention my name, don’t interact with any of my posts, don’t DM me, don’t send me abuse. It’s harassment and makes me feel uncomfortable. I don’t know how many times you have to be told. No means NO.

Please refer to the site rules if you’re having difficulty understanding anything I’ve written.

Thanks

Tell me you haven't seen the injuries a hip drop tackle causes without telling me you haven't seen the injuries a hip drop tackle causes.

There is a reason one of the biggest football leagues globally has decided that type of tackle is too dangerous and needs to be outlawed.
Huh? I just listed what the reasoning from Gleeson etc was.

Although not immediately apparent and not truly apparent until all angles and vision and still shots had been carefully considered, the evidence is clear here Dangerfield immediately swung his legs beside and forward of Walsh, and pulled back with considerable force to attempt to prevent Walsh being driven into the ground.

“Vision shows Dangerfield managed to pull him back so that at one point Walsh’s torso was almost vertical. “Would it have been reasonably possible for Dangerfield to release one or both of Walsh’s arms? Yes it would, but that’s not the test.

“The question is whether it was unreasonable in the circumstances not to do so.

“From the considerable care that Dangerfield went to in a short space of time in a fast moving piece of play to do what he could to avoid or minimise injury to his fellow player, we find that this was not rough conduct.”

That's the tribunal chairman noting the movement mechanics you're speaking of, and noting efforts to maintain duty of care.

You inferred rule change was needed. This shows that it doesn't as the chairman notes that forward momentum and head contact would normally mean suspension. The requirements on players around tackles is already stringent enough, any further restrictions will only do a disservice to the sport.

Huh? I just listed what the reasoning from Gleeson etc was.

That's the tribunal chairman noting the movement mechanics you're speaking of, and noting efforts to maintain duty of care.

You inferred rule change was needed. This shows that it doesn't as the chairman notes that forward momentum and head contact would normally mean suspension. The requirements on players around tackles is already stringent enough, any further restrictions will only do a disservice to the sport.
We're discussing different injuries here, I'm not talking about the head.

"Dangerfield immediately swung his legs beside and forward of Walsh, and pulled back with considerable force"

What you posted above, that type of tackle is unbelievably dangerous. It's obviously not yet in the AFL rule book but I'd be absolutely staggered if it wasn't within the next 5 - 10 years. Like I said, the NFL and NRL have already opted to outlaw it, the damage to ankles and knees it does is absurd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you pin the arms and take a player to ground then cop the consequences.

Seems medical experts agree..

But what would a neuroscientist and leading concussion expert know about player welfare when we’ve got Geelong fans reassuring us it was a safe tackle? Pin the arms, pay the consequence. Simple.

BT said Sam Walsh intentionally head butted the ground to win a free kick. He made that call twice, for a seperate tackle. 😂

We're discussing different injuries here, I'm not talking about the head.

"Dangerfield immediately swung his legs beside and forward of Walsh, and pulled back with considerable force"

What you posted above, that type of tackle is unbelievably dangerous. It's obviously not yet in the AFL rule book but I'd be absolutely staggered if it wasn't within the next 5 - 10 years. Like I said, the NFL and NRL have already opted to outlaw it, the damage to ankles and knees it does is absurd.

Changing rules again to outlaw something the tribunal last night conceded was a rare verdict under its guidelines seems superfluous. I.e. They'll likely suspend similar tackles where duty of care isn't met to such a high standard.

Changing rules again to outlaw something the tribunal last night conceded was a rare verdict under its guidelines seems superfluous. I.e. They'll likely suspend similar tackles where duty of care isn't met to such a high standard.
Why be reactive all the time though? That tackle is dangerous (we're lucky Sam fell forward, as absurd as that sounds), why can't the AFL be proactive on something like this? Why do we have to wait for players to suffer serious injuries before looking at it?

I often wonder if medical experts such as this bloke has played Aussie rules football at a decent level.
You’d probably agree with him if Toby Greene had done the same tackle to Danger

I often wonder if medical experts such as this bloke has played Aussie rules football at a decent level.
I have no issue with the article. What's getting lost is that the tribunal have made it clear this isn't setting a precedent but instead they have decided this particular instance is an exception to what would normally be adjudicated.

No issues with the Dr. having the bigger picture in mind, as we saw with the Viney case years back, issues arise that lead to footy fans/media revolting at the tribunal system when the AFL tries to make something black and white and leaves no leeway for extraordinary cases.

The MRO deemed this suspendable within his box ticking. The tribunal said this is the exception but the core act of tackle, arms pinned, head contact is still something we will suspend. This was the leeway case while they still can look at the bigger picture not setting a precedent. This had quite a large proportion of footy fans/media on its side. The tribunal doesn't normally arrive at a decision contrary to what most who follow this great game deem as fair.

Why would Neurophysiologist and concussion expert Dr. Alan Pearce have played Aussie Rules football when his career is in a totally different field?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back