Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Have a family friend who was dining at a high end restaurant about a month back

She overheard Andrew demetriou, who was at lunch with Brendan Gale, and a few other high profile figures
He was overheard saying the AFL must get Hawthorn out of Tasmania, as they are getting in the way of plans to relocate north Melbourne

It was said Hawthorn must be "taken care of" to avoid a media shitstorm (his words)

Next yr will be interesting

Mmm, we can have essendons fine as compo...and then some

Then within a year or so theyll be begging hawthorn to return as the away team to keep it afloat

Bring it on I say

Have a family friend who was dining at a high end restaurant about a month back

She overheard Andrew demetriou, who was at lunch with Brendan Gale, and a few other high profile figures
He was overheard saying the AFL must get Hawthorn out of Tasmania, as they are getting in the way of plans to relocate north Melbourne

It was said Hawthorn must be "taken care of" to avoid a media shitstorm (his words)

Next yr will be interesting

HAWTHORN has received a verbal commitment from the AFL that it won't be pushed out of Launceston, but did not receive the same backing from Tasmania's football-going public yesterday.
Hawthorn president Andrew Newbold told a pre-match function that the Hawks would be here beyond its 2016, $18 million contract, and had the backing of the sport's governing body.
"People have been asking me what the AFL's attitude is towards Hawthorn being in Tasmania now the Kangaroos are there [in Hobart]," Mr Newbold said.

"The message is very blunt and the message is this: the AFL is happy for Hawthorn to be in Tasmania for as long as the Tasmanian people want us and the Tasmanian Government want us."
"The next four years we are paying $150,000 to AFL Tasmania, we paid $15,000 to three junior leagues across the state and contributed $300,000 to this stadium," he said.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2013/05/19/379525_afl.html

Dont want to sound rude Mitch but why would Demetriou be discussing this subject at a public restaurant with Brendon Gale?

I questioned that also
Really, don't know why

Gale is involved as it will involve the AFLPA (NM relocation)

The info I gained was gale is against the push(player welfare, he actually give a damn)

Demetriou is a politician after all, perhaps it was an effort on his behalf to get gale on side

Dont want to sound rude Mitch but why would Demetriou be discussing this subject at a public restaurant with Brendon Gale?
Yeah it does seem iffy, but it would not surprise me one ioata if Vlad wants us out of Tasmania so they can force Norf to permanently relocate there.

Frankly I think it'd almost be worth seeing an end to our sponsorship with the state if it means Norf is finally kicked out of Melbourne forever. I've never been terribly keen on us playing "home" games in another state either. Obviously its been a windfall financially though.

I questioned that also
Really, don't know why

Gale is involved as it will involve the AFLPA (NM relocation)

The info I gained was gale is against the push(player welfare, he actually give a damn)

Demetriou is a politician after all, perhaps it was an effort on his behalf to get gale on side

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought Gale hadnt been CEO of AFLPA for 4 years or so. He's the CEO of Richmond is he not? Why would Demetriou be discussing this with the Richmond CEO??

We should approach the AFL and have a quiet chat.

If they want us out of Tassie, give us something to make it worthwhile for us to co-operate.
Eg - better / fairer fixturing
- plus 2 x mini-draft picks as FA compo for Buddy
- plus some significant compo money
- plus 11 home games per year at MCG

Then we start talking exit strategies.

Otherwise, we're allowed to talk to any sponsor we want to, thanks very much.

HAWTHORN has received a verbal commitment from the AFL that it won't be pushed out of Launceston, but did not receive the same backing from Tasmania's football-going public yesterday.
Hawthorn president Andrew Newbold told a pre-match function that the Hawks would be here beyond its 2016, $18 million contract, and had the backing of the sport's governing body.
"People have been asking me what the AFL's attitude is towards Hawthorn being in Tasmania now the Kangaroos are there [in Hobart]," Mr Newbold said.

"The message is very blunt and the message is this: the AFL is happy for Hawthorn to be in Tasmania for as long as the Tasmanian people want us and the Tasmanian Government want us."
"The next four years we are paying $150,000 to AFL Tasmania, we paid $15,000 to three junior leagues across the state and contributed $300,000 to this stadium," he said.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2013/05/19/379525_afl.html
Waste of money as crowds are dropping off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On pure financial terms we are now better off playing our home games in Melbourne. However this is a unique arrangement with a clean stadium, a state sponsorship through tourism ROI and over 8500 members. Hawks won't walk, they will position themselves with another term with the Tas Govt so the AFL will need to buy them out to make way for their Tassie strategy, they know that. Either way the Club is well placed to come out on top.

We've all seen what pricks the AFL can be with fixturing - the only way we can leave the Tassie arrangement is if we get a terrific 10 year long term deal from from the AFL
IE.
1. 11 Home matches - 9 MCG, 1 Etihad, 1 Tassie
2. Of the 11 Home matches, guaranteed minimum of 8 matches against other Vic teams/Swans/Lions
3. And a minimum of 3 Home MCG blockbuster fixtures against Collingwood/Carlton/Essendon/Geelong/Richmond played on Friday/Saturday/Public Holiday
4. At least one of the blockbuster Home matches must be played in March/April

We should approach the AFL and have a quiet chat.

If they want us out of Tassie, give us something to make it worthwhile for us to co-operate.
Eg - better / fairer fixturing
- plus 2 x mini-draft picks as FA compo for Buddy
- plus some significant compo money
- plus 11 home games per year at MCG

Then we start talking exit strategies.

Otherwise, we're allowed to talk to any sponsor we want to, thanks very much.

Plus 19.6% COLA. Eastern suburbs are the most expensive in Melbourne.

Cool to walk away from s $4mil a year deal forever?

let's say $3mil a year for 20 years, hands off Buddy and dump the cola and you got yourself a deal.

AFL has all the aces
They just makes us play Port, Freo, WCE ,GWS and GCS at MCG and the top 4 at Etihard top up Buddy with an ambassador role to go to their franchise and they can squeeze the money flow so we become more compliant.

AFL has all the aces
They just makes us play Port, Freo, WCE ,GWS and GCS at MCG and the top 4 at Etihard top up Buddy with an ambassador role to go to their franchise and they can squeeze the money flow so we become more compliant.
To which is precisely what they done this year and also given us the hardest draw out of last years grand finalist ... Tried to screw us in the last round until it was caught on to before it was " logistically too late" ...

We may have more screwing to go through ... Home final at etihad ...

1 less day prelim to grand final again ... Suspensions etc etc

AFL has all the aces

But Hawthorn has the support in the north of Tasmania to make it hard for any other side other than a totally new Tas franchise to get a foot hold in the state.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1621177/hawthorn-deserves-our-backing/?cs=96

Remove this Banner Ad

Back