Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely missed that that's a young Ki-Adi-Mundi.

While it's fun having these PT characters pop up, it does somewhat diminish the impact of this being set 100 years before TPM and one of my initial complaints about the setting for The High Republic. If we can have Yoda, Yaddle, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and other Jedi just wandering around involved in these events, it really weakens scenes in TPM where they show skepticism at the Sith returning if in their lived memory there's these sorts of events taking place.

All this 'show don't tell' and 'exposition heavy' complaining - I didn't think there was much exposition at all in that episode? Did I miss a scene? What's a key example of this exposition heavy dialogue? Genuine question as I'm a bit lost on that one.
Rewatch it to get it's views up. You'll be helping a struggling artist.

Completely missed that that's a young Ki-Adi-Mundi.

While it's fun having these PT characters pop up, it does somewhat diminish the impact of this being set 100 years before TPM and one of my initial complaints about the setting for The High Republic. If we can have Yoda, Yaddle, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and other Jedi just wandering around involved in these events, it really weakens scenes in TPM where they show skepticism at the Sith returning if in their lived memory there's these sorts of events taking place.
I'd read that he wasn't even supposed to be alive during the period this is set in?

I'm not completely across it so wasn't sure when I'd read that.

I'd read that he wasn't even supposed to be alive during the period this is set in?

I'm not completely across it so wasn't sure when I'd read that.

I think they're meant to be a long lived species but those are becoming a dime a dozen in SW now. It kind of diminishes the impact of "This is set before anything you know" if every second characters ends up being 'long lived' and spanning multiple eras.

From memory it was Ki Adi Mundi himself who spoke the words “impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennia” in TPM. Remains to be seen of course if this baddie is denoted as a Sith.

Yeah that's the line I'm having trouble with but I guess we'll see how this pans out.

Yeah that's the line I'm having trouble with but I guess we'll see how this pans out.

Yes, I’ll reserve judgment until the end. Qui Gonn described Maul in the TPM scene at the council as “having been trained in the Jedi arts” etc.

Clearly there are some similarities here, with a dark side force user etc. Probably unnecessary to bring him into a scene like this with the potential contradictions, however remains to be seen what happens from here.

No? Osha touching it woke it up but then it flew into the air. When Sol ignited his lightsaber it changed its focus and flew straight at him not Osha.
Yeah but it also could have been because it perceived Sol as a threat, because it was attracted to the hum of the lightsaber, attracted tot he warmth of the lightsaber it could have been for any number of reasons other than that it is "attracted to light". It's just another example of the show saying things rather than showing things in a meaningful way, and also shows that they are sloppily and lazily thinking of a conclusion and then reverse engingeering to get to that point. It's clear they will be "drawn to the light" later in the episode, so they threw that line in, but they didn't do the work to earn that.

I think they're meant to be a long lived species but those are becoming a dime a dozen in SW now. It kind of diminishes the impact of "This is set before anything you know" if every second characters ends up being 'long lived' and spanning multiple eras.
His species was originally supposed to die from 65+ year old, relatively normal human life, but Wookipedia has now been updated to change it given this show, because he's clearly like 130 years old or more. I mean, the details on his species were pretty sparse anyway and all legends stuff, so this trumps it. But the thing that needs aligning is why he said there were no sith for a millenia in TPM. From the way it's going I can't wait for him to be part of some faction of the Jedi council that ignore or downplay an obvious threat... cool.

His species was originally supposed to die from 65+ year old, relatively normal human life, but Wookipedia has now been updated to change it given this show, because he's clearly like 130 years old or more. I mean, the details on his species were pretty sparse anyway and all legends stuff, so this trumps it. But the thing that needs aligning is why he said there were no sith for a millenia in TPM. From the way it's going I can't wait for him to be part of some faction of the Jedi council that ignore or downplay an obvious threat... cool.
shoehorning something that never needed shoehorning in the first place

Yeah but it also could have been because it perceived Sol as a threat, because it was attracted to the hum of the lightsaber, attracted tot he warmth of the lightsaber it could have been for any number of reasons other than that it is "attracted to light". It's just another example of the show saying things rather than showing things in a meaningful way, and also shows that they are sloppily and lazily thinking of a conclusion and then reverse engingeering to get to that point. It's clear they will be "drawn to the light" later in the episode, so they threw that line in, but they didn't do the work to earn that.

How do you 'show' that in a meaningful way? They came to a conclusion it was attracted to the light, that conclusion could be wrong. I never understand why people think characters are stating absolute facts or canon and not just their opinion/interpretation. It was the same as the "Jedi only draw their weapons to kill" line that people were taking and running with as fact.

Are you sure? Even in Legends he was meant to be about 80 in Ep III. Which is maybe 30-40 years younger than is now being presented, but not a wild difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you 'show' that in a meaningful way? They came to a conclusion it was attracted to the light, that conclusion could be wrong. I never understand why people think characters are stating absolute facts or canon and not just their opinion/interpretation. It was the same as the "Jedi only draw their weapons to kill" line that people were taking and running with as fact.
How do we know that facehuggers implant eggs in the chests of humans in Aliens, how do we know that the aliens in the Quiet Place are attracted to noise, how do we know a bunch of things about stuff that is made up, a combination of being shown things, inferring things, and having the characters conclude things.. this was just the conclusion and it was way to quick and not logical enough to make sense in your mind, like yes you get what they are saying and it "makes sense" when you give it the benefit of the doubt, but your mind doesn't immediately trust it, because it's not earned.

He's 80 in TPM. This show is 100 years before that. Doesn't matter anymore though like you said.

It's like people have forgotten the plural use for them (which I admit I wasn't clear about in my initial post, but also shouldn't lead to presuming it was a misgendering of an oversized dog, much less something to get annoyed about).

Come on man. It’s obvious you’re secretly trying to push your woke identity politics agenda.

Keep your liberal propaganda out of my Star Wars!

Another pretty good episode. The series is really starting to pick up some steam. Loved the “Oh no! He’s here.” Then the darkness rises. Then the Smiling Sith just glides silently into frame.

Creepy as ****.

Really enjoyed the rest of the episode as well. Mae’s turn was maybe a tad sudden, but I felt it was set-up earlier in the episode a few time. Sol talks about how she softened when she heard Osha was alive. Mae ands Q also talk about it plus she shows a growing mistrust of Q and “him”.

Probably the biggest disappointment has been the way the planets are designed. Really not much difference between them. Green, rocky, lush.

I’d love them to go a tad out there and really make it otherworldly.

Still, I’m continuing to enjoy the series.

How do we know that facehuggers implant eggs in the chests of humans in Aliens, how do we know that the aliens in the Quiet Place are attracted to noise, how do we know a bunch of things about stuff that is made up, a combination of being shown things, inferring things, and having the characters conclude things.. this was just the conclusion and it was way to quick and not logical enough to make sense in your mind, like yes you get what they are saying and it "makes sense" when you give it the benefit of the doubt, but your mind doesn't immediately trust it, because it's not earned.
Yeah I don't see it that way. Don't think a character drawing a conclusion about what aspect of a lightsaber a bug is drawn to matters.

So we’re just refusing to accept review bombing is a thing now I guess? Despite copious evidence to the contrary.
I feel sorry for the poor intern at Lucasfilm that spends all day going on film review sites and down voting shows they thought they'd be working on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back