Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean the obvious one is Qimir being the mysterious Sith, so I'm amused at the prospect of Darth Bortles

It was a solid episode again, and the cliffhanger was great.

Some of that dialogue though, almost as if written by George Lucas himself.

I mean the obvious one is Qimir being the mysterious Sith, so I'm amused at the prospect of Darth Bortles

It was a solid episode again, and the cliffhanger was great.

Some of that dialogue though, almost as if written by George Lucas himself.
Star wars is stuck in an identity crisis. Cheap looking sets to align with the style of the OT along with the dialogue, or get more sophisticated and have people say it doesn't feel authentic.

Star wars is stuck in an identity crisis. Cheap looking sets to align with the style of the OT along with the dialogue, or get more sophisticated and have people say it doesn't feel authentic.

That quote from Harrison Ford to George Lucas "you can write this shit, George, but you can't make me say it!" or paraphrased to that effect comes to mind.

Obviously Lucas didn't write for The Acolyte but gee, it was verging on awful at times. And yeah, let's face it, we love The Mandalorian but that wasn't exactly an example of sharp writing either.

I know I may not be the target demographic any more for Star Wars Disney+ but it could definitely be much better.

There's a lot of masochists out there it seems.

Thought you would send a message to Disney by not watching the show, a single view by someone hating the show is the same metric to them as by someone liking the show. Not helping by continuing to reward them with views.

It’s crazy. They all tune in to hate watch multiple times, then go online to complain about it. They’ll give hate YouTube channels featuring the show all the clicks, then review bomb the hell out of it on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes.

All of it is engagement keeping the show a massive part of the zeitgeist.

It’s hilarious really.

I don't get the criticisms of the effects/sets, they're fine.

Dialogue though is getting progressively worse and the exposition was heavy handed enough it was noticable.

I'll keep watching but it seems like it's just Ahsoka again. Promising first couple of episodes, followed by point a to point b, then c - d - e...then it's the last episode of the season. Not terrible, just not offering anything that couldn't be told in 3 episodes.

Reckon old mate might be the Sith. Purposely making him a weedy, seedy type to misdirect. Will be disappointed if that's the case though.
I think that's pretty abundantly clear... it's Bugs Bunny level misdirect practically saying "i, i mean he will kill you"

That quote from Harrison Ford to George Lucas "you can write this shit, George, but you can't make me say it!" or paraphrased to that effect comes to mind.

Obviously Lucas didn't write for The Acolyte but gee, it was verging on awful at times. And yeah, let's face it, we love The Mandalorian but that wasn't exactly an example of sharp writing either.

I know I may not be the target demographic any more for Star Wars Disney+ but it could definitely be much better.

Of all the series this is definitely the most “prequel” in style. I wonder if they deliberately chose to keep the style going with the writing also for consistency.

There are more and more good things about this show that make me want to like it but it's all wrapped up in the most basic narrative structure and exposition you could possibly imagine.

Highlights of this episode- I really like Saul, he's like a Luke / Qui Gon type, not a stickler for the rules and values empathy and family. It makes him endearing.

The scene with the with dude coming up behind Osha was great, really good imagery.

But boy oh boy... there is some drivel in there. The attack in the forrest with that slater bug looking thing started so promisingly. I got Aliens vibes and thought something exciting was going to kick off.. only for them to kill the only one that attacked and then weirdly.. not acknowledge the other ones surrounding them. There was no "hey we better get out of here before these other ones wake up" it was "they're attracted to light" which doesn't even make any sense, are they??

As others have pointed out Mae turning on her master was unearned and weirdly quick. Just meant nothing... were being dragged along the narrative from within rather than standing beside and watching it unfold. Means it's hard to appreciate.

And the Jedi training scene at the start... who the **** wrote that. The dude was speaking utter nonsense. Someone will have to go back but NONE of what that guy said made any sense as a teaching. They just say words that they think sound cool like a 14 year old boy writing a story.

There's a lot of masochists out there it seems.

Thought you would send a message to Disney by not watching the show, a single view by someone hating the show is the same metric to them as by someone liking the show. Not helping by continuing to reward them with views.

I was curious with episodes 1 and 2. But it was garbage. Fire on the outside of a spaceship. Someone suspected of killing a Jedi master put on an unmanned prison ship. Surviving a uncontrolled crash landing from space. After ep 3 I was in two minds whether to keep watching it for the hilarity of how bad it could be. Ep 4 was mostly boring with dialog exposition apart from the lolz of Mae and Osha both randomly changing their motivations, but we were spared because it was only 25 minutes long.

I doubt views will be the metric that decides this show's future. It's currently rating at 14% on Rotten Tomatoes and 3/10 on IMDB. The most unpopular Star Wars show ever won't get its scheduled second season.

I was curious with episodes 1 and 2. But it was garbage. Fire on the outside of a spaceship. Someone suspected of killing a Jedi master put on an unmanned prison ship. Surviving a uncontrolled crash landing from space. After ep 3 I was in two minds whether to keep watching it for the hilarity of how bad it could be. Ep 4 was mostly boring with dialog exposition apart from the lolz of Mae and Osha both randomly changing their motivations, but we were spared because it was only 25 minutes long.

I doubt views will be the metric that decides this show's future. It's currently rating at 14% on Rotten Tomatoes and 3/10 on IMDB. The most unpopular Star Wars show ever won't get its scheduled second season.

So we’re just refusing to accept review bombing is a thing now I guess? Despite copious evidence to the contrary.

Still hard to watch, but was better purely because if didnt have those witches singing that stupid song I guess. Mae's turn was even less convincing than Anakin's. From being so driven to suddenly, oh you know what, dont think I will bother now.

Feels like her travelling companion, the weedy ferker, has to be the 'Sith' floating in, but I am expecting some big not so clever misdirect on that front. Also, is he/she/them gonna just shit all over like 8 Jedi? Makes the Jedi seem pretty weak if so.

Sort of reminds me of Ahsoka with Thrawn - think he didn't even appear until two thirds of the way in.

In the end Ahsoka mostly delivered on the threat of Thrawn, so not prepared to write this one off yet either. Andor took a while to get going too.

I give them the benefit of the doubt because at the end you can see if it paid off or was just pointless filler. Some people are far too impatient nowadays - not saying you're one of them.

Definitely not impatient and happy to see it through, tend not to give up on Star Wars. I enjoyed Ahsoka but it could have been better.

I just get greedy when we have a cool reveal or something and wish it was sooner so we could get more of it for longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are more and more good things about this show that make me want to like it but it's all wrapped up in the most basic narrative structure and exposition you could possibly imagine.

Highlights of this episode- I really like Saul, he's like a Luke / Qui Gon type, not a stickler for the rules and values empathy and family. It makes him endearing.

The scene with the with dude coming up behind Osha was great, really good imagery.

But boy oh boy... there is some drivel in there. The attack in the forrest with that slater bug looking thing started so promisingly. I got Aliens vibes and thought something exciting was going to kick off.. only for them to kill the only one that attacked and then weirdly.. not acknowledge the other ones surrounding them. There was no "hey we better get out of here before these other ones wake up" it was "they're attracted to light" which doesn't even make any sense, are they??

As others have pointed out Mae turning on her master was unearned and weirdly quick. Just meant nothing... were being dragged along the narrative from within rather than standing beside and watching it unfold. Means it's hard to appreciate.

And the Jedi training scene at the start... who the **** wrote that. The dude was speaking utter nonsense. Someone will have to go back but NONE of what that guy said made any sense as a teaching. They just say words that they think sound cool like a 14 year old boy writing a story.

Agreed.
It's just giving massive star wars blue balls

Yeah that was really a nothing scene. I assume they will pop up later - the "they're attracted to the light" felt like it was in there to telegraph it so the audience goes "oh that's right they're attracted to light" in the inevitable follow up scene where they all swarm the characters at once. But as a standalone scene it's really nothing. I think it's the first time we see Sol ignite his lightsaber though? But then it's just a regular blue one so who cares. You might as well have just gone all in on doing stuff because it's cool and it'll sell cool toys and stuff, and give him a new colour one or a purple blade or whatever. Why not? I guess we get a cool new blade later on according to the trailers so maybe it's not needed.

Noticed the "them" as well 🥴
Kelnacca is a dude, it's okay to call a wookiee a he. I'm not sure a dead make believe hairy alien cares much about pronouns.
Don't get so defensive about it, I just meant the dead characters will get more action in flashbacks. Bit weird to get your back up over.

Yeah that was really a nothing scene. I assume they will pop up later - the "they're attracted to the light" felt like it was in there to telegraph it so the audience goes "oh that's right they're attracted to light" in the inevitable follow up scene where they all swarm the characters at once. But as a standalone scene it's really nothing. I think it's the first time we see Sol ignite his lightsaber though? But then it's just a regular blue one so who cares. You might as well have just gone all in on doing stuff because it's cool and it'll sell cool toys and stuff, and give him a new colour one or a purple blade or whatever. Why not? I guess we get a cool new blade later on according to the trailers so maybe it's not needed.
Now that you say it I presume they'll interrupt the duel with the Sith.

Jeebus! Really?

It's like people have forgotten the plural use for them (which I admit I wasn't clear about in my initial post, but also shouldn't lead to presuming it was a misgendering of an oversized dog, much less something to get annoyed about).

A lot of boring tell don't show, with characters we don't care about speaking in platitudes. $1 million a minute! The mystery evil master is the twin's Mom. Yawn.
Yeah thats what I thought of the mystery person. I thought they said 'he' a few times but that definitely looks like a female. I actually liked that ep. Maybe the bar is so low now or it was generally good.

As others have said for the $ value spent it certainly doesn't blow you away the production and scenery.

But like.. it wasn't "light" that attracted to them, it was Osha touching them, then yeah i suppose they went over Osha and to Sol, but that could have been for any reason. Lame.

No? Osha touching it woke it up but then it flew into the air. When Sol ignited his lightsaber it changed its focus and flew straight at him not Osha.

All this 'show don't tell' and 'exposition heavy' complaining - I didn't think there was much exposition at all in that episode? Did I miss a scene? What's a key example of this exposition heavy dialogue? Genuine question as I'm a bit lost on that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back