Player Watch Tew Jiath

Remove this Banner Ad

Who realistically comes back into our side this year?

Pendles, De Goey, Mihocek, Elliott = yep.
McStay hopefully, Mitchell probably although I think he's nearly cooked. Cox maybe, although I like Kreuger more than him. Richards maybe.

I don't think it's harsh. I think it's just recognition that he's possibly not ready.

I don't think playing him was anything to do with him being ready. It seems we were likely to be a HB down with Markov in doubt around selection time, so it came down to a choice of Jiath, Ryan, or Parker. None of them are ready and it likely came down to a choice of giving Jiath a shot or Parker another go. Opting for Jiath probably determined he started in the 22 rather than as a sub. Both Jiath and the club will be better for giving him a taste.

Last edited:
Who realistically comes back into our side this year?

Pendles, De Goey, Mihocek, Elliott = yep.
McStay hopefully, Mitchell probably although I think he's nearly cooked. Cox maybe, although I like Kreuger more than him. Richards maybe.
Coxy over Krueger when it counts. He has the capacity to play as a tall forward and snag a goal or two or at least bring the ball to ground and is a far better back up ruckman to Cameron. You cannot play finals footy with one ruckman. Sydney have Grundy, Mclean and Amartey who can all share the load. Krueger has been uncompetitive in the ruck and was slaughtered by Teakle in the second half when he went into the middle.

There's nothing more dangerous than having a forward trying to play as a ruckman when the pill is deep inside the opposition's forward line. They are one jumper scrag or hold (always happening when blokes give away size) from giving a match winning goal on platter as AJ almost did in the ANZAC clash last year.

Coxy over Krueger when it counts. He has the capacity to play as a tall forward and snag a goal or two or at least bring the ball to ground and is a far better back up ruckman to Cameron. You cannot play finals footy with one ruckman. Sydney have Grundy, Mclean and Amartey who can all share the load. Krueger has been uncompetitive in the ruck and was slaughtered by Teakle in the second half when he went into the middle.

There's nothing more dangerous than having a forward trying to play as a ruckman when the pill is deep inside the opposition's forward line. They are one jumper scrag or hold (always happening when blokes give away size) from giving a match winning goal on platter as AJ almost did in the ANZAC clash last year.

I had a chuckle at:

You cannot play finals footy with one ruckman. Sydney have Grundy, Mclean and Amartey

Yeh not only is Cox clearly a better ruckman than Krueger, he may also be a better ruck than Cameron. At least in last years finals series Cox was our preferred 1st choice ruck and performed better than Cameron. Cox was the one that dominated Max Gawn in Q1 of the QF. Cox was the one in the middle in the last 5 minutes of the grand final.

Hard Debut when your teammates lack of Intensity and Effort
Correct weight TD - right call. The team especially the midfield were being smashed in the first half and were not applying any pressure to speak of placing undue strain on the backline (Look at Moore being smashed by North‘s Larkey). However he showed some really good qualities and will learn from the experience.

It was ok for a debut game. He looked like a 19yo out there. Will take time to learn positioning better.
He has enough tools that he could develop as a nice half back/winger type role.

I think Fly said it baest... "He showed AFL traits". I feel that his debut was reward for effort and to clearly demonstrate to Tew what it takes to play at AFL level, but I don't expect we will see him again at AFL level this year. He clearly has potential and I'm sure he will develop well and become a handy player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Fly said it baest... "He showed AFL traits". I feel that his debut was reward for effort and to clearly demonstrate to Tew what it takes to play at AFL level, but I don't expect we will see him again at AFL level this year. He clearly has potential and I'm sure he will develop well and become a handy player for us.
Never say Never but Highly Doubtful

His mind will have been blown by the pace of the game. Especially as that being as a high a pressure game as we’ve seen this year.

He’ll understand what’s expected of him now.

yup, he is obviously too skinny at the moment and gets brushed aside too easily in the contest. Nothing a couple of pre-seasons in the gym wont fix

Hopefully he can build and strengthen sufficiently like Aliir from power did

khamis at bulldogs is several years in and still getting regularly knocked off the ball in defence- just lacks strength

I had a chuckle at:

You cannot play finals footy with one ruckman. Sydney have Grundy, Mclean and Amartey

Richmond's premiership back up ruck Shaun Greig.

Cox's issue is he gets outmarked and is a liability if it hits the ground. He needs to kick 2 a game to offset that and he wasn't doing it.

Happy to let Kreuger get an extended run at it and see if his forward work can offset any disadvantage in the ruck.

Excited to see the player he becomes in a few years.

Quietly hoping too that he can recruit his brother over to the pies in the off season. CJ is out of contract at seasons end and is finally back healthy after a bad run with injuries. A big Collingwood family, so who knows?

I think he would really fill a positional need for us and it would be exciting to see the two brothers bouncing off our half back line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back