Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone watch Glenorchy V Hobart on the weekend? Good to see some youngsters being blooded! Very impressed with Jake Cox for Glenorchy and Ryan Sullivan for Hobart

Yes, I was dragged through the torture chamber....:eek:
I won't say any more about the match!

Yep, then Turner ran in about 30m away and floored the Channel Player (Smith I think), at the time I said to someone he'll get 10 weeks for that!
I think he got 6 or something....?

That was one of the hardest hits i have ever witnessed!

I watched it over and over on DVD and couldnt belive how hard he hit him!!

Should still be sidelined if you ask me! And lindisfarne should have dealt with him more harshly as well ....:thumbsdown:

Anyone watch Glenorchy V Hobart on the weekend? Good to see some youngsters being blooded! Very impressed with Jake Cox for Glenorchy and Ryan Sullivan for Hobart
Was rapped to see big Jonathan Hall (son of Tiger premiership player Dale Hall) boot 8 for the Hobart reserves on Saturday.
Oughta stick him in the 1's. Aaron's progressing nicely at Colts level too they tell me :thumbsu:

everyone going on about turner are you forgetting the two blokes smith king hit just before hand. watch the video again and just before he gets hit you can see him cheap shot lockley in the bottom corner

Was rapped to see big Jonathan Hall (son of Tiger premiership player Dale Hall) boot 8 for the Hobart reserves on Saturday.
Oughta stick him in the 1's. Aaron's progressing nicely at Colts level too they tell me :thumbsu:

Hobart must really be struggling if he is anywhere near close to playing senior football.
left north because he couldnt get a game in their 2s!

everyone going on about turner are you forgetting the two blokes smith king hit just before hand. watch the video again and just before he gets hit you can see him cheap shot lockley in the bottom corner

I'm not saying the hit was unprovoked but it does not warrant Turner for a license to kill... 99 times out of a hundred the retaliator will get caught whether you like it or not.

The difference is they were looking when Wobbley hit them.... He did not king hit anyone, he may have got a couple of cheap ones in, but he did not get a 40m run up and hit someone that was not looking at him...

must admit, I was amused when the coach decided to play a bit of 'Hally's Paddock' at the start of the last quarter. then they kicked 7 of the last 8 goals to win by 28 haha

must admit, I was amused when the coach decided to play a bit of 'Hally's Paddock' at the start of the last quarter. then they kicked 7 of the last 8 goals to win by 28 haha
Yes that'd be the brainchild of one 'Brer' Fox there.
Speaking of 'Brer', I heard he had a bit of an altercation with Scott Wade at the end of the Colts match at the TCA against Brighton when Wade and Povey umpired the other week.
Apparently a few words were exchanged at one another.
For the record the verdict on the umpiring was Povey :thumbsu: | Wade :thumbsdown:
LOL Imagine the comments that would've flown a few years back when Hobart still had that vocal support they once had if Wade had've umpired a game.
Would've been worth videoing simply for the comments alone :D

The difference is they were looking when Wobbley hit them.... He did not king hit anyone, he may have got a couple of cheap ones in, but he did not get a 40m run up and hit someone that was not looking at him...

lockley wasnt looking at him, not sure about the one just a minute or so earlier in the centre

Ol Barralupo, I thought you'd disappeared.

At OHA now aren't ya?

No way you can justify Turner's actions that day (that I saw with my own two eyes) any way you look at it.

The ol' saying, two wrongs don't make a right!

Speaking of 'Brer', I heard he had a bit of an altercation with Scott Wade at the end of the Colts match at the TCA against Brighton when Wade and Povey umpired the other week.
Apparently a few words were exchanged at one another.

Probably a good thing for Wade it was just words and nothing more.

Or we could have been having a double funeral.

One for Wade and one for the Devils!

Wonder if Wade and Povey paid themselves for their umpiring?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a good thing for Wade it was just words and nothing more.

Or we could have been having a double funeral.

One for Wade and one for the Devils!

Wonder if Wade and Povey paid themselves for their umpiring?

They got paid out by the clubs, whose money goes to the TFLUA, who then paid them.

Listen Sport,

I know how local football works.

I know you parasites, most of who don't deserves to get paid at all, get paid by the clubs.

What I meant was surely they'd have done it for free and refused any payment.

MInd you, knowing Wade I wouldn't be so sure!

What I'm saying is if they're happy to have these "Oh aren't we doing a great job helping out local footy umpires in their time of need" stories on tv and in the papers, then you'd think they wouldn't be getting paid to umpire Hobart v Brighton Under 19s.

Did they umpire a game on the weekend?

Do they plan to do any more games?

Was very poor by the Ol's Football Club. Very unfortunate and puts a tarnish on NTFA Football. Ol's Didnt come to play football it looked like they just went the knuckle from the start. One chap was knocked out in the second quarter trying to pick up the footy and got kneed front on deliberatley by a Ol's player who wasn't even going for the ball (yet wasn't reported) . another player copped a punch after taking a mark (yet wasn't reported) and then little dog acts all day leading up to a Old Scotch player being punched and then kicked while he was on the ground was DISCRACEFUL. The OL's Football club should cop a maximum penalty and these offending players should be outed for a long long time. Credit to Old Scotch football club on the way they handled the situation!

One suspension from this game
Brett Martin - A measly 4 weeks for laying a boot into someone lying on the ground holding their face. Shame on the NTFA for this bullshit. This will go further. Letters have been written to the NTFA by people outside Old Scotch F.C. we are lead to believe.

They got paid out by the clubs, whose money goes to the TFLUA, who then paid them.

Whats the going rate for umpire payments for reserves and seniors in regional level?

Thats including field, boundary and goal umpires.

I remember something mentioned last year about having to increase umpire payments to try and recruit more umpires for this year - did it happen?

Not sure where this was published but its on the AFL Tas site now. This is extracts from the whole long "interview"
http://www.footballtas.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=122078
Interview with AFL Tasmania Chairman Dominic Baker
Q...is Tasmanian football at its lowest level?

AI think it has actually improved. I think we have been at a lower ebb than this over the past four years. The work that the NTFL and the SFL have done administratively has been absolutely terrific. Those competitions are administered really well and you have to start somewhere. The Devils sit at the top of the development pathway if you look at last year. Although we didn't finish in the finals, we still had four guys drafted, three in the top 20. The Devils as a product are really working quite well. But the broader issue for the Devils is what's underneath. Talent-wise, there just seems to be a very large gap between local football and playing with the Devils. I go around the games and I've seen nearly all of the Premier League teams play, and there are not a lot of players you could pluck out for the Devils. At the same time, the gap between the VFL and the AFL is getting broader and broader.
How do you fix the difference in standard between local and VFL football? Do you go back to a statewide league?

The most difficult thing I see with regional footy is how can you have a group of really good players playing against a side that isn't competitive, and how do they continue to develop while they are playing in that competition? One of the things we are going to look at is how do we narrow down that funnel? Is it a statewide league? Is it some kind of super league North and South? The South was probably on its knees two or three years ago but under [SFL president] Roger Viney's really strong leadership, he has brought that back together.
It is a competitive competition besides two or three [teams], but that gap there is still quite large. In a state our size we should be diluting that talent down to as few teams as possible. Whether it is statewide or two conferences like Blair Brownless suggested, or elite North and South competition, we don't really know. We haven't got any fixed ideas, but we are going to be having a pretty close look at it.To lift the standard, you are going to have to make some tough decisions that could involve forcing clubs out of their present competitions into lower levels.
The thing about footy over the next couple of years is there are not going to be any easy decisions. They are all going to be hard. And the one thing I'm finding hard about this role, as soon as you open your mouth, you split different groups, and there tends to be fewer on your side.
In saying that, we have got a great group on the board.:rolleyes: We have evolved from an organisation that didn't have a lot of respect from government or its stakeholders. We have got [former AFL players] Brendon Gale and Scott Clayton on the board, which really was a coup for us to get guys of that calibre. As a board we've come a long way but the real work is about to start now. The members of the public are ready for something to happen now as well, and the time is probably right.[/B

Ol Barralupo, I thought you'd disappeared.

At OHA now aren't ya?

No way you can justify Turner's actions that day (that I saw with my own two eyes) any way you look at it.

The ol' saying, two wrongs don't make a right!

agree, i coudn't believe it when he did it either just trying to put it into a bit better perspective. he got 12 for it with 6 suspended.

yeah went for a run with OHA, most likely out for the season though did my knee pre season doesnt look good

Whats the going rate for umpire payments for reserves and seniors in regional level?

Thats including field, boundary and goal umpires.

I remember something mentioned last year about having to increase umpire payments to try and recruit more umpires for this year - did it happen?
I was going to ask the same question in regard to the Premier League umpire payments.
I'm kinda out of the loop, so-to-speak, but someone from Hobart was telling me on Sunday that it costs them over $3000 to stage each home game, and in their words "most of it goes to the umpires and it's crippling all the clubs".
Given that only ten years back, in the Statewide league, it used to cost each club $4850 to stage each home match - consisting of ground fees, umpires fees, buses/transport for opposition clubs players etc - just wondering what the rate of payment for everything is nowdays given that it's only really local stuff.
Like I say, I'm not really in the loop anymore, so I'm just asking out of interest really :)

PS: Roorat - Here is the link to that article from the Online Archives. :thumbsu:

Dominic Baker makes some very valid points. The talent does seem to be spread too thinly, but having said that, doesn't that contradict all the propaganda released by AFL Tas that says that participation rates are up and therefore, the pool of talent should be larger? Or are there just more no talent hacks like Barge and myself running around? :D

Perhaps a six year old having a kick-to-kick in the school playground doesn't really add much depth. :rolleyes:

Well after another weekend of football it is clear that everyone continues to still write off a few clubs chances of going all the way this year...
There look to be only 4 teams in the race in both leagues and this is the order i believe....
Nth Hob
Glen
Clar
NN
REG
KER/Huonv

Central
dodges
Looks as though Nth hob easily the best side and in the regional With it likely Huonville and Kermandie will finish 1st and 2Nd on the ladder don't be surprised if they are playin off in the last week!!!!!! A true rivalry(Be great for footy)

Well after another weekend of football it is clear that everyone continues to still write off a few clubs chances of going all the way this year...
There look to be only 4 teams in the race in both leagues and this is the order i believe....
Nth Hob
Glen
Clar
NN
REG
KER/Huonv

Central
dodges
Looks as though Nth hob easily the best side and in the regional With it likely Huonville and Kermandie will finish 1st and 2Nd on the ladder don't be surprised if they are playin off in the last week!!!!!! A true rivalry(Be great for footy)

You're more likely right with the Premier predictions.
Regional - You discounting Cygnet, Claremont, Sorell and Lindisfarne from the finals race? Keep in mind from fourth to eighth there is a 2 game gap only, and Lindisfarne has an unusually strong percentage at about 140!
Sorell, whilst they've failed to fire a major shot in 2007, they are still there abouts.
Claremont had their bubble burst last week, but have won 6 out of their last 7 matches.
Don't be surprised if it comes to the Match Number 90 of the season, Lindisfarne v Huonville at Anzac Park, I don't think I've seen a closer roster than this in a very long time!

I was going to ask the same question in regard to the Premier League umpire payments.
I'm kinda out of the loop, so-to-speak, but someone from Hobart was telling me on Sunday that it costs them over $3000 to stage each home game, and in their words "most of it goes to the umpires and it's crippling all the clubs".
Given that only ten years back, in the Statewide league, it used to cost each club $4850 to stage each home match - consisting of ground fees, umpires fees, buses/transport for opposition clubs players etc - just wondering what the rate of payment for everything is nowdays given that it's only really local stuff.
Like I say, I'm not really in the loop anymore, so I'm just asking out of interest really :)

for a standard 6-umpire game of footy, you'd be looking at around $500-$600 in match payments I believe. or, in percentage terms, around 15-20% of their costs for the day.

if I were Hobart, I'd be more worried about getting fans through the gate than how much a bunch of bloody umpires costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back