T20 World Cup Game 14 New Zealand v Afghanistan, June 8 0900hrs @ Providence Stadium Guyana

Who will win?

• New Zealand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Afghanistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Was there any logic behind choosing to have most of the squad go in entirely cold?

I don't think there was any logic behind it, certainly not ideal going in with no warm up matches and that's been shown tonight.

Not sending best players / players not wanting to go? whats that all about?

Apparently many of their main squad didn't go to the Pakistan t20 matches - I don't know the NZ squad that well but that's what I've read. The narrative on the ICC stream has been nothing but "NZ's players havent played any matches recently"

Just explained it on the ICC stream, 2 of the lineup tonight played in the Pakistan t20s in April.

Apparently many of their main squad didn't go to the Pakistan t20 matches - I don't know the NZ squad that well but that's what I've read. The narrative on the ICC stream has been nothing but "NZ's players havent played any matches recently"
They have one of the weaker domestic T20 leagues, plus the majority of their squad were playing IPL.
In regards number of games played in the IPL though, Conway was injured, Williamson only played two games, Glenn Phillips didn't play, Rachin played 10 games, Mitchell played 13, Santner played 3, and Boult was the only consistant performer playing 16 games

They have one of the weaker domestic T20 leagues, plus the majority of their squad were playing IPL.
In regards number of games played in the IPL though, Conway was injured, Williamson only played two games, Glenn Phillips didn't play, Rachin played 10 games, Mitchell played 13, Santner played 3, and Boult was the only consistant performer playing 16 games
It's simply not good enough.

Either
1. Don't schedule the bilateral during IPL
2. Organise warm up matches like every other nation
3. Tell your players to take the 90 minute flight to Pakistan and skip a couple matches in your money league as is your right as a national board with a contract for the player.

Either
3. Tell your players to take the 90 minute flight to Pakistan and skip a couple matches in your money league as is your right as a national board with a contract for the player.

IPL goes too long, there was close to no international cricket of note for 2 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either
I think option 3 is the right call. Just like what England did

Only the first game, but as folk have already said, losses like this, only makes things tougher for NZ from here on. Diabolical in the field and with the bat, can only get better I guess....hope not though.

Remove this Banner Ad

T20 World Cup Game 14 New Zealand v Afghanistan, June 8 0900hrs @ Providence Stadium Guyana

Back