Sydney writer rips into AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick said:
I've noticed all the rugby league zealots come out of the woordwork recently because scenes like this scare the bejesus out of people like Gibbo.

scgcrowd.jpg

HEYHEY I'm in that photo!!!!!

Refried Noodle said:
HEYHEY I'm in that photo!!!!!

And all the other parts of the ground.

5000 as it was reported is a bit dissapointing wouldn't you think considering it was Sydney's first ever AFL premiership.

dr nick said:
Nice Lie...

And thats very brave of you predicting places like NSW and Qld will rate more for the NRL... has it come to that has it?

You found 3 Nick.. I'm impressed. You got yesterday;s one of the people queueing up for the NRL GF tickets??

Sladest said:

5000 as it was reported is a bit dissapointing wouldn't you think considering it was Sydney's first ever AFL premiership.

On channel 10 news they said 10,000.

Sladest said:

I'm sure if it was held when all the members/fans were back from Melbourne there would have been well over 10,000. Dunno why alot didnt turn up.
I daytripped from Canberra to see 22 hungover champs! and the cup.

EDIT: I'd say the figure was between 5,000 and 10,000.

BuffaloRules said:
You found 3 Nick.. I'm impressed. You got yesterday;s one of the people queueing up for the NRL GF tickets??
Nope, as you might have missed i can only post 3 images, there are many more, such as these..

0,1658,5052831,00.gif
0,10114,5050405,00.jpg
0,1658,5049656,00.jpg

...and the fact remains that the Tigers did not once make the front page until the AFL season had moved on.

Refried Noodle said:
I'm sure if it was held when all the members/fans were back from Melbourne there would have been well over 10,000. Dunno why alot didnt turn up.
I daytripped from Canberra to see 22 hungover champs! and the cup.

EDIT: I'd say the figure was between 5,000 and 10,000.
It was reported by the Telegraph as 10,000 and the smh as 12,000

I think that's an excellent effort for a team not even in a traditional AFL area, i mean iy beats some NRL crowds even!

I tend to agree with him about the boring nature of football these days.

Being old enough to remember the football of the 80's, the game today has become more boring. Flooding, unlimited interchange and posession tactics have all been detrimental to the game.

The days of the great Hawthorn team up against the Bombers or Carlton in the 80's, not much in the world of sport was much better as a spectacle than this event.

RL today is as strong as it has ever been and has done extremely well to recover from the SL war, and I must also say that the quality and excitement of the football seems to getting more exciting by the year.

dr nick said:
Nope, as you might have missed i can only post 3 images, there are many more, such as these..

0,1658,5052831,00.gif
0,10114,5050405,00.jpg
0,1658,5049656,00.jpg

...and the fact remains that the Tigers did not once make the front page until the AFL season had moved on.

3 out of 365, well done to the Swans.

BuffaloRules said:
We'll await their next front page the next time they make it through to the GF.

Well done boys :thumbsu:
They made the front page about 5 times in the week before the prelim and i think every day in the lead up to the GF and then again for the next 3 days... An awesome effort considering the Tigers only made it once and even then they shared it with the swans.

Well done swans!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BuffaloRules said:
We'll await their next front page the next time they make it through to the GF.

Well done boys :thumbsu:

You're all making it sound like the other 362 days are covered with League. If you were just counting sport covers, the Swans had the most.

Refried Noodle said:
You're all making it sound like the other 362 days are covered with League.

No..your right ....not always ...I think the London bombings got League off the front pages for a while in July....

pazza said:
Where's the evidence of those Sydney figures?

1996 ratings

http://www.smh.com.au/handheld/articles/2005/09/20/1126982062219.html

But Colless points out the 1996 grand final between the Swans and North Melbourne, which attracted 1.018m viewers in Sydney, already holds the record as the most watched AFL grand final in history and that didn't do the Swans a power of good.

2005 ratings

http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=231616

Encouragingly for the AFL, an average audience of 991,000 in Sydney tuned in to watch their local side obtain the premiership cup in one of the most exciting grand finals in the history of the competition

A drop in numbers despite a population increase. Not too good for the AFL.

BuffaloRules said:
No..your right ....not always ...I think the London bombings got League off the front pages for a while in July....

Ahhh this is pretty funny.

All the League people feel threatened. Theres no other reason why so much of it has been happening over the past couple of days.

Refried Noodle said:
Ahhh this is pretty funny.

All the League people feel threatened. Theres no other reason why so much of it has been happening over the past couple of days.

We don't start the threads though... who is really insecure??

Fred Nerk said:

I think you will find that the 1996 figure quoted was a peak figure. This years peak was 1.2 million.

Nevertheless, 991,000 viewers or whatever it was is only 10,000 people less than the 2004 NRL Grand Final which is prime time on Sunday Nights.

Refried Noodle said:
So starting threads about a reporter who can't report means we're insecure eh? This is laughable.

Its an opinion piece mate... He's entitled to have one.

Its not 'reporting" as such.

He was right in so far that the AFL grand final was scrappy and the skill level wasn't very flash.

Most NRL games are akin to the worst of the football matches, the number of forward passes, knock-ons, sloppy tackles, etc... rugby is more prone to being a very ugly game to watch which is riddled with errors.

I haven't watched many rugby games this year, the few I saw were not of an exceptional quality, even by rugby standards.

He had one valid point and turned it into a garbage arguement that league is better than AFL.

Notice the growing trend of NRL appologists trying to convince people that NRL is better? AFL doesn't need to sink to that level because we have the runs on the board, it is better to walk the talk.

Put up or shutup. NRL is #2 until the numbers prove otherwise.

dr nick said:
I think you will find that the 1996 figure quoted was a peak figure. This years peak was 1.2 million.

Nevertheless, 991,000 viewers or whatever it was is only 10,000 people less than the 2004 NRL Grand Final which is prime time on Sunday Nights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney writer rips into AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back