Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The media must love the bye for us because it's a perfect excuse not to mention us despite our dominance.

Must be why our coach is on Footy Classified and most of the footy shows have talked about how well we're now set up. ;)

Best of 3 would of went against us in 2012 but likely benefitted in 2014, 2016 and 2022.
Why would it go against us in 2012 when we won in Melbourne and would have come back to the SCG to finish them off??

Why would it likely have benefited us in 14 or 22??

Why would it go against us in 2012 when we won in Melbourne and would have come back to the SCG to finish them off??

Why would it likely have benefited us in 14 or 22??

Because we couldn't of played better in 2012 that type of performance would of been extremely unlikely to be repeated.

2014, 2022 the game was done very early unlikely we get blown away in the first quarter again in games 2 and 3 (but still a possibility i suppose)

Because we couldn't of played better in 2012 that type of performance would of been extremely unlikely to be repeated.

2014, 2022 the game was done very early unlikely we get blown away in the first quarter again in games 2 and 3 (but still a possibility i suppose)
Unlikely to repeat at the SCG or Accord where we'd been dominant that year? Having gone 1-0 up away from home?

Yes, done early meaning they would have managed players to prepare for games two and three while we'd have been mentally scarred.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern with a best of 3, 22' we lost by 80 points. Imagine backing up that performance the next week.
Absolutely. It's crazy to think we'd have performed any better the following week. Look at how we performed at GMHBA the following year.

Absolutely. It's crazy to think we'd have performed any better the following week. Look at how we performed at GMHBA the following year.
That was the game when we were missing anyone remotely resembling a key defender (as well as Franklin and McDonald in the forward line) and resorted to playing Mills on Hawkins.

That said, I think the idea of a best-of-three grand final is a bit silly (other than as an idea to reinforce the unfairness of the MCG situation).

That was the game when we were missing anyone remotely resembling a key defender (as well as Franklin and McDonald in the forward line) and resorted to playing Mills on Hawkins.

That said, I think the idea of a best-of-three grand final is a bit silly (other than as an idea to reinforce the unfairness of the MCG situation).

It sure was, but my point is we didn't perform any better 8 months later, why would anyone think we would have performed better a week later when Reid was still injured, and the Cats would have likely had Holmes back?

I understand the reasons it's being discussed but the idea of a best of 3 is awful to me.

Works in the NBA and MLB where games can be played every couple of days or Origin where it happens in the course of the season it makes sense.

For mine, footy is like the Superbowl. It's a spectacle and you need to show up on the day. The 2014/22 results were thoroughly deserved for each team given the way they prepared and performed.

I understand the reasons it's being discussed but the idea of a best of 3 is awful to me.

Works in the NBA and MLB where games can be played every couple of days or Origin where it happens in the course of the season it makes sense.

For mine, footy is like the Superbowl. It's a spectacle and you need to show up on the day. The 2014/22 results were thoroughly deserved for each team given the way they prepared and performed.

It also creates logistical issues around Game 3 which quite often wouldn't be required.

It sure was, but my point is we didn't perform any better 8 months later, why would anyone think we would have performed better a week later when Reid was still injured, and the Cats would have likely had Holmes back?

I don't like the best of three idea myself, but someone supporting it might argue that if you know going into the GF series that game 1 isn't completely cut-throat and you play terribly, you have a chance to make up for it next week. Not dissimilar to how top 4 teams get another chance if they lose in week 1 of the finals to atone in week 2.

I don't like the best of three idea myself, but someone supporting it might argue that if you know going into the GF series that game 1 isn't completely cut-throat and you play terribly, you have a chance to make up for it next week. Not dissimilar to how top 4 teams get another chance if they lose in week 1 of the finals to atone in week 2.

Sure, and I'm sure the biggest advantage of Best of 3 is that it'd save Horse from himself with risking injured players in Game 1 (although you could then argue anyone injured during Game 1 is likely to be risked in Game 2 so maybe not so safe..). I just took issue with someone claiming it harmed our 2012 chances (where we beat a Vic team IN Victoria) and helped our 2014 and 2022 chances when both years we were comprehensively outplayed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back