Opinion Survival Day - Jan 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we continue to celebrate the date the British invaded Australia?

I can't wait for the day when we cut all ties with the UK and celebrate Republic Day as a united country.

What has been all the graffiti lately in footsgray?? :) BTW I actually agree with the op and long.for Australia being a republic.

Why do we continue to celebrate the date the British invaded Australia?

I can't wait for the day when we cut all ties with the UK and celebrate Republic Day as a united country.
You combine a few thoughts here
British 'invaded' Australia. Rinse and repeat discussion. Have fun with that.

Ae you 100% sure that as soon as we are a Republic in our own right, the Aboriginal will come out and celebrate with us as one country ? That the original Brits were bad but the ones that stayed and formed this country were okay ; it was only that little bit in our Constitution to remind them of all the injustice done in name of the British Crown?
Or more realistically, despite the independence, there will be resentment simmering about the past 2 centuries and their current predicament .
Moral.of the story. Republic is NOT going to bring the country together. You might get a new National day to paper over the cracks and we might appease them with that. Not much more.

Ae you 100% sure that as soon as we are a Republic in our own right, the Aboriginal will come out and celebrate with us as one country ? That the original Brits were bad but the ones that stayed and formed this country were okay ; it was only that little bit in our Constitution to remind them of all the injustice done in name of the British Crown?
Or more realistically, despite the independence, there will be resentment simmering about the past 2 centuries and their current predicament .
Moral.of the story. Republic is NOT going to bring the country together. You might get a new National day to paper over the cracks and we might appease them with that. Not much more.

#changethedate

You like Australia Day?
Yep. Countries have been occupied by foreign forces since the dawn of time. So be it. I really couldn't give a toss if the moral crusaders don't like it. Changing the date does nothing to change the past.

Yep. Countries have been occupied by foreign forces since the dawn of time. So be it. I really couldn't give a toss if the moral crusaders don't like it. Changing the date does nothing to change the past.

What is it that you like?

I don't have to justify the reasons why I like Australia Day to you.

You did say I hate Australia Day. Seems only fair that I ask you why you like it.

Would it bother you if we changed the date?

So should it be a Day of Morning then of the Aboriginals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is for many Aboriginal people. Maybe we should just change the date?

Maybe we could speak to the First Australians about that.

I agree there should be something in Australia Day about Aboriginals but it nothing what Australia is Today.

I don't Celebrate Australia Day but Mostly I just don't really care

Perhaps. To give an example. On the 4th May the Dutch have the remembrance day. On the 5th it is our VE day.
So I don’t have any issue with the same concept here. One day to reflect with the Aboriginals on the past and one to celebrate the birth of our nation and its future. We can't have one without the other it seems. And both on 1day is not possible.

Put in a good word for SuperBowl Monday for me then.

I like TD's suggestion to scrap the day completely. It's nothing more than a nationalistic wank fest anyway.

Perhaps. To give an example. On the 4th May the Dutch have the remembrance day. On the 5th it is our VE day.
So I don’t have any issue with the same concept here. One day to reflect with the Aboriginals on the past and one to celebrate the birth of our nation and its future. We can't have one without the other it seems. And both on 1day is not possible.

I be quite Fine with that idea. Both Parties should be happy with that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back