Coach Stuart Dew - Where is the scrutiny?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a proud South Australian LoL.

I am Humbled with the clean tap water we drink, despite the Victorians poo on the Murray River before it hits the south Australian borders. LoL

I also enjoyed gather round is it was the gathering of the drunks LoL
Onya champ for having the courage to come out as you did.

Now about that tap water……….

Next week against eagles is a potential career killer if they somehow fumble it

Not really.

They are 3 - 5 with a loss against a recent premier showing they are on the right track.

Sure, the 3 wins part isn't ideal but it is safe to say they are finally improving. The leaders are starting to show up, Jarrod Witts, David Swallow, young Noah Anderson looks set to be a genuine superstar. King to return to his best. The fwd mix to sort themselves out, I don't think they make finals this year but the improvement they do show will be enough to save Dew for one more year and in 2024 they push, if not make, finals

Not really.

They are 3 - 5 with a loss against a recent premier showing they are on the right track.

Sure, the 3 wins part isn't ideal but it is safe to say they are finally improving. The leaders are starting to show up, Jarrod Witts, David Swallow, young Noah Anderson looks set to be a genuine superstar. King to return to his best. The fwd mix to sort themselves out, I don't think they make finals this year but the improvement they do show will be enough to save Dew for one more year and in 2024 they push, if not make, finals
If he loses to the eagles (who have half their side injured) then he’s not the man for the job

I'm not sure Dew quite has the firepower to elevate this group any higher.

I watch a fair bit of the Suns and I reckon they're just treading water at the moment. They're no better or worse than they were last season. And 2022 itself was only an incremental advancement.

Dew has to see out this season at the very least; I can't imagine the club wanting to fulfill the coach-killer prophecies in this thread - who would replace him in the middle of the season?

There's still a long way to go this season, and Gold Coast's key players may yet cohere to reach new heights - they really have to push for a Top 8 finish or what's the point?

Rankine was such a big loss, he really added some character and bite to that forward line.

As another poster mentioned, the Suns actually have a decent group of onfield leaders these days that hold them in good stead; Witts, Miller (who they are missing badly), Anderson, Collins, Swallow - they shouldn't fall in a heap quite yet.

I thought their loss against Freo a couple of weeks ago at Gather Round was particularly galling; they should have iced that game, could prove costly as they push for the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL.

Home ground, against a team playing lazy football, got kissed on the dick by the umpires for three quarters and still lost.
And Dew is in the presser talking about how proud he is.
Proud of losing?

That's pathetic.
Sorry, but it really is.

I generally enjoy watching Gold Coast lose as much as the next person, but you really can't be serious with that comment. Melbourne could not have been more favoured with the umpires in that one. It's odd actually, because I generally feel like GC get a good run with the umpires and Melbourne seem to get quite a harsh one on the whole - but some of those missed frees for the Suns tonight were beyond belief.

I think you've always got to be able to honestly assess as a fan when you got the rub of the green (I know the Lions definitely did in an almost historic way back in round 1 against Port - not that it helped much), and I would've thought as a Dees fan you would have to be borderline embarrassed of the help you got from the umpires tonight.

As for Dew, my concern with the Suns seems to be that the narrative is as it has always been. Promise, potential, the occasional high-end performance, a few heartbreaking losses, all ending in a 10-14 finish on the ladder. It is almost the oldest script in the competition now (the perennial 'finally Carlton are on their way now' being the only older one I can think of).

Don't know how they break that cycle and take the next step. Feels a bit like groundhog day at the moment.

I generally enjoy watching Gold Coast lose as much as the next person, but you really can't be serious with that comment. Melbourne could not have been more favoured with the umpires in that one. It's odd actually, because I generally feel like GC get a good run with the umpires and Melbourne seem to get quite a harsh one on the whole - but some of those missed frees for the Suns tonight were beyond belief.

I think you've always got to be able to honestly assess as a fan when you got the rub of the green (I know the Lions definitely did in an almost historic way back in round 1 against Port - not that it helped much), and I would've thought as a Dees fan you would have to be borderline embarrassed of the help you got from the umpires tonight.

As for Dew, my concern with the Suns seems to be that the narrative is as it has always been. Promise, potential, the occasional high-end performance, a few heartbreaking losses, all ending in a 10-14 finish on the ladder. It is almost the oldest script in the competition now (the perennial 'finally Carlton are on their way now' being the only older one I can think of).

Don't know how they break that cycle and take the next step. Feels a bit like groundhog day at the moment.
I’d say 7 wins with percentage of 76%
To 10 wins with % 102 is a reasonable improvement. More than ‘incremental’ change.

We’ve been kneecapped by certain events along the way.

Witts out for 12 months in 2021. Then our back up rucks getting injured. We rucked with a 196cm 20 year old Caleb Graham and 194cm Chris’s burgess for 12 weeks?

Then 2022 king ACL after his very good 2021 season just stalled the momentum.

2023 Witt’s misses 2 crucial games (the Freo loss where Darcy dominates the last qtr) and our best midfielder injured for a significant period of time.

I know as a squad you’ve got to rise above these injuries but they have been to the most irreplaceable players.

GC were absolutely robbed

I hope Dew teed off in the presser.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah have to agree there, people bang on about the Crows/Pies game umpiring, this was just as bad, just mind bogglingly.

Dew has them playin good footy, very dangerous team IMO, hopefully they don’t make finals, I’d prefer not to play them, their midfield is elite and they have some trumps up forward.

I think their a Smokey for the flag this year.

Last edited:
Melbourne could not have been more favoured with the umpires in that one.
Yeah we could have. Fritsch blatant hold in a marking contest, ridiculous htb against Hunter when he clearly gets his hands away and disposes properly, the two King frees in the forward 50. Off the top of my head. Also re: King, smacked Petty unaware, the 50 Gawn copped was fair. Check the footage. If we’d lost that it would have been robbery.

Didn’t read the rest of your post sorry.

With the return of Ben King, the Suns are starting to resemble a better than average AFL spine

Fb. Sam Collins
Chb. Charlie Ballard
C. Matt Rowell
Chf. Jack Lukosious
Ff. Ben King

The win was impressive yesterday and finally look set to be on the right path. Would be a bloody good effort to play finals but hopefully Dew is given the two years with a full and fit squad with pre seasons into this group to showcase his ability to coach.

The Andersen - Rowell 1/2 punch is an enjoyment to watch. Throw in Touk Miller when he returns and the suns become a worry for a few sides.

With the return of Ben King, the Suns are starting to resemble a better than average AFL spine

Fb. Sam Collins
Chb. Charlie Ballard
C. Matt Rowell
Chf. Jack Lukosious
Ff. Ben King

The win was impressive yesterday and finally look set to be on the right path. Would be a bloody good effort to play finals but hopefully Dew is given the two years with a full and fit squad with pre seasons into this group to showcase his ability to coach.

The Andersen - Rowell 1/2 punch is an enjoyment to watch. Throw in Touk Miller when he returns and the suns become a worry for a few sides.
Should be making finals with the talent they have on their list.

Like Carlton? Like Sydney? Like Essendon?

Talent only gets you so far
Yeah, well Sydney made the grand final last year with the same coach obviously the GF smashing has hurt them, but I always thought they were making a GF before there time & injuries certainly haven't helped.

Carlton should 100% be playing finals this season, I'd be furious as a supporter if they don't play finals with the high-end talent.

Essendon not sure on them. I don't think they have a finals list yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back