Southern Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hobart Football Club has denied it sacked coach Todd Lewis.
Lewis was called to a meeting with club officials late yesterday and it was decided he would no longer continue in the position.
Lewis says his increased work commitments have made it hard to carry out the role to his fullest.
But he says before the meeting he expected to coach the Tigers against Clarence this Sunday.
"I would have loved to have seen out the rest of the year but like I say, with my work commitments as well, I don't think I have given as much as I can into the footy area," he said.
"I don't want to see the Hobart Football Club and the players suffer because of me being selfish on the outside world."
In a statement, the club says Lewis relinquished his position at a meeting last night.
The former Tigers' player publicly questioned his team's desire after last week's loss to Lauderdale.
Assistant coach, Graeme Fox, has been appointed as caretaker.

QUOTE-ABC Radio Hobart

Ladder
POS TEAM P W L D B FF For Ag PC Pts
1 New Norfolk 10 10 0 0 1 0 1966 444 442.79 40
2 Lindisfarne 10 9 1 0 1 0 1288 638 201.88 36
3 Dodges Ferry 10 8 2 0 1 0 1270 704 180.40 32
4 Central Hawks 10 6 4 0 1 0 890 848 104.95 24
5 Kingborough 10 5 5 0 1 0 1096 944 116.10 20
6 Huonville 10 5 5 0 1 0 896 880 101.82 20
7 Claremont 10 5 5 0 1 0 839 1079 77.76 20
8 Sorell 10 3 7 0 1 0 936 1211 77.29 12
9 Cygnet 10 3 7 0 1 0 703 1372 51.24 12
10 Brighton 10 1 9 0 1 0 604 1387 43.55 4
11 Triabunna 10 0 10 0 1 0 608 1589 38.26 0

Previews Round 12 (All from the Southern Football League Website)
Cygnet v Sorell
Cygnet remains at home for the second week in a row and have a great chance to record their fourth win of the season when they host Sorell. The Port recorded a good win over Triabunna last week but would have been very disappointed in their last quarter as they lost a lot of percentage with a poor finish. The Port need to find some more consistency against sides above them on the ladder and if they can get the early breaks and put some scoreboard pressure on the opposition then their home ground should come into play. The Eagles were very disappointing last week after a very good start against Claremont and need to address their defensive side of the game if they hope to keep the opposition to a losing score. Both sides have key forwards starting to hit top form and whichever side can take control of the midfield battle should take the points. In what should be a very close game all day, perhaps Sorell may have an edge in class and a bit more goal scoring avenues in attack and take the points.

Claremont v Central Hawks
The in-form Claremont get a chance to break into the top six for the first time this season when they are at home to fourth placed Central Hawks. The Magpies recorded a very big win over Sorell last week and with several key players returning to the side and starting to hit top form they will remain a real threat to most sides. The Hawks have also been in good form and recorded a confidence boosting victory last week over a struggling Brighton which should have brought some of their younger players back into form. The Hawks have a potent midfield and they will attempt to control this area and dry up the supply for the Magpies key forward in Curtain to eliminate their high goal scoring ability. Claremont play their home ground really well and their confidence will be at a seasons high and if they can start the game well and gain the momentum the Hawks may struggle to peg them back. In what should be a close game all day, The Magpies with the home crowd cheering them on may take the points and finally move into the top six.

Lindisfarne v Brighton
Second placed Lindisfarne is back on home soil when they host the struggling Brighton in what appears a one sided game. The Blues received a scare last week against the improving Kingborough and this tough contest will help them concentrate for the full quarters and become more consistent. They relish playing on their home ground and usually start the game well in an attempt to stop visiting sides gaining any momentum and confidence. The Robins have struggled all season and have only registered one win and they need to start the game like they did last week against Central Hawks and maintain that sort of pressure if they are to cause an upset victory. The Blues have plenty of big marking forward in Tubb and Rainbird and if they are allowed to control the stoppages and win the clearances then they will provide plenty of goal scoring opportunities. Lindisfarne will have far too much class and experience for the undermanned Robins and record another percentage boosting victory

Kingborough v Dodges Ferry
In what could be the closest game of the round the in-form Kingborough are at home for the second week in a row when they tackle third placed Dodges Ferry. The Tigers were very gallant in defeat last week against second placed Lindisfarne and only need to repeat that performance to cause an upset victory. They usually play their home ground very well and need to eliminate patches in their quarters where they lose concentration and let opposition sides score easy goals. The Sharks recorded their best win of the season last week away from home against Huonville and this victory will have given them plenty of confidence and self belief to win away from home against class opposition. Their ground is similar in size to the Tigers so they won’t have to adjust their game style too much. Centre clearances are always the key to victory on the Kingston Beach Oval and which ever side takes the early advantage will win the game. In a game which could go either way, perhaps Dodges Ferry may have a slight edge in class and experience and take the points.

Huonville v New Norflk
Premiership favourite and undefeated New Norfolk faces a tough assignment away from home when they tackle last year’s premiers Huonville. The Eagles have taken all before them this season and should relish another challenge away from home and will be very fresh after having the bye last week. This bye will freshen up many players who would be carrying niggling injuries mid season and this only spells danger for their opposition. The Lions have struggled all year to gain some consistency and momentum and will be hurting after last week’s loss at home to Dodges Ferry in a very close game. They will need to get their defensive match up spot on from the first bounce and play accountable football and not let the powerful Eagles any space to run and deliver the football to their forwards. New Norfolk’s main strength is their ability to win the contested possessions and create numbers around the ground and if they are allowed to control this area the Lions will be in for a long afternoon. Expect the Eagles to record a comfortable victory but may be surprised by Huonville’s fight especially on their home turf.

Tips: Sorell by 25, Claremont by 7, Lindisfarne by 100, Dodges Ferry by 30, New Norfolk by 80

I just read the paper and it stated that SFL guys have to play on the Saturday and then play the NTFL on the Sunday, that cant be right., If true i dont reckon they will shape up real good.

For the record, the clubs voted to cancel the Rep game, due to this very issue after the roster was re-drafted.

The League overruled the clubs and said it was going to be played. Without the authority to make that decision, but the clubs let the league get away with it.

Latest news re everyone's favourite son from Triabunna.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/06/27/81365_afl.html

The culprit.....none other than one Dean Norman Mills :eek:

When I first read the headlines, Umpire outrage at Triabunna.....I immediately thought....Mills!

How many times has this bloke been mentioned on Bigfooty for various low acts over the last few years?

King hits....breaking Darren Martin's jaw.....rough intimitading conduct towards junior players, I know of a guy I work with, who's young fella is not playing this year due to head injuries suffered by this wannabe tough guy shoving him into a fence last year....... and now threatening umpires....the list goes on

Is there anyone else in Tasmanian footy circles that has such a reputation as this bloke?

Now I know it can be extremely frustrating at times when umpire decisions don't fall your way.

I would have loved to give a couple of chinese ear burns :D to a couple of smart assed umpires over the years but unfortunately the rules of the game didn't allow me to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 13 fixture: Central Hawks v Cygnet (Bothwell), New Norfolk v Kingborough, Sorell v Triabunna, Dodges Ferry v Brighton, Lindisfarne v Claremont

This weekends game of the day looks to be at Lindisfarne where the 6th placed Claremont face Lindisfarne and again face a must win game in relation to finals chances. A win will see them skip two wins clear on 7th spot and potentially one hand on a finals spot while a loss will keep them in the "cut zone" so to speak. The Lindisfarne boys are playing well at the present moment and they present a big challenge to the Magpie side. Lindisfarne to win.
Kingborough despite their win against Dodges Ferry at home will find things a lot tougher at Boyer against New Norfolk. Sorell, Dodges and Central Hawks should get the easy wins in their games.

Tips: Hawks by 70, New Norfolk by 140, Sorell by 110, Dodges by 100, Lindisfarne by 35

I notice Sorell barely got over the line against the hapless 'Bunna!

Given the Roos beat them last year, does Triabunna lift against the Eagles, Sorell just not get themselves up for these games, or both?!

Surely Sorell are more than 3 goals better than this lot?

dodges ferry smashed central hawks on sat the hawks didn't look intrested at all i reckon their reserves woulda played better well they had a few seniour players running about jury!! wat the hell??

dodges ferry smashed central hawks on sat the hawks didn't look intrested at all i reckon their reserves woulda played better well they had a few seniour players running about jury!! wat the hell??

Not a case of the Hawks not looking interested at all. A case of being comprehensively taken apart by a dominant performance by Dodges. Is criminal to try and take anything away from the Sharks performance. Will play Norfick in the Grand Final.

Not a case of the Hawks not looking interested at all. A case of being comprehensively taken apart by a dominant performance by Dodges. Is criminal to try and take anything away from the Sharks performance. Will play Norfick in the Grand Final.
Can anyone tell me how little weapon has been going for New Norfick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back