Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to read The Australian a fair bit, but then stopped, even while I was still a conservative. It barely or doesn't even try to hide the bias, it just uses bigger words and looks classier. Then you've got SkyNews, which like Fox in the US, outside of maybe some decent journos in the actual newsroom, the rest are opinion giving cheerleaders for the rich, religious and donor class. Not only Murdoch though, NineFairfax has drifted right under Peter Costello, the ABC also from Coalition interference.

and years of ideologically driven budget limitations

you mean the superpower of the so-called free world, the (just) beating heart of the international economy, the global arbiter since world war II, the nation australia is unconsciously allied to militarily, the driver of western culture for much of the past century, and a behemoth on the verge of civil war? yeah, why have any interest in "yank politics"?
I know all that and BF is not a massive forum and so many interested in a small cross section that all Mr H

It's not 80m though, his base is a lot less. Unfortunately though, in the red states there are many who don't like trump buy could never vote Democrats no matter what.

there'd be a lot of trump fanatics who probably don't vote but would take up arms in his name ... well, in their heads it'd be in his name, but more likely just a willingness to take up arms against "the gubmint"
i have never understood how he managed to convince the dirt-poor ignorant hick element a criminally wealthy white (well, orange) urbanite represented them
same for the religious hard right ... how did such a visibly corrupt, blatantly, proudly "sinful" turd win over the fundamental christians?

Got to scratch my head looking at some of the contributions here.

Makes me wonder if any of you have a single conservative acquaintance that you could genuinely claim to be a friend. In most cases I suspect probably not.

Makes me wonder if any of you have a single conservative acquaintance that you could genuinely claim to be a friend. In most cases I suspect probably not.
Quite a few, as well as immediate family. Though I did grow up in one of the safest conservative seats in the nation, and spent the majority of my life in conservative religious circles, which heavily tracked that way politically too.

Got plenty of friends who are business owners or highly religious that vote conservative. The difference is they can all acknowledge when good stuff is happening and still have enough of a moral compass not to blindly buy in to the lies, hatred and vitriol that tends to come from the far right.

Multiple. And believe it or not, several that I have great conversations with. We agree on a range of things about the world, just not politics. And even when we do have discussions/disagreements about politics, we tend to have the maturity to keep it respectful or even have a laugh and some banter before moving on to something else like the footy or cricket or some great movie or book we’ve seen/read recently.

The issue with a lot of your posts is that you don’t seem keen to have a reasonable discussion or a debate at all… you just post diatribes that seem like they’ve been cut and pasted from Sky News or The Australian. When people engage with what you’ve said you often seem to just ignore that which you don’t wish to hear, and only address the points you feel you have grounds to argue back against. Often you just don’t reply at all and post something new so the whole cycle can start again.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I suspect that’s why many on here get frustrated with you. It’s less to do with you being conservative and much more to do with your discussion and online conversation skills.

Looks like a bad week coming up for Albo:

So....she who repeatedly bullied Kimberly Kitching (to the point that it may have contributed to her death) and then similarly laid into Linda Reynolds (who was forced to take a leave of absence due to mental health issues) now finds herself on the hot seat and doesn't like it. Ducking and weaving like a tail-ender facing peak Mitchell Starc on a greentop.

If you live by the sword...

So.....you try to get a clunky, divisive referendum rushed through by deliberately hiding the detail and treating the voting public like mushrooms, and then the latest poll suggests you are heading downhill at a rate of knots.

This on top of skyrocketing cost of living issues and a voting, taxpaying public that are running out of patience with this government on training wheels.

Methinks Mr Dutton is really going to take full advantage of the new ball during Question Time tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Multiple. And believe it or not, several that I have great conversations with. We agree on a range of things about the world, just not politics. And even when we do have discussions/disagreements about politics, we tend to have the maturity to keep it respectful or even have a laugh and some banter before moving on to something else like the footy or cricket or some great movie or book we’ve seen/read recently.

The issue with a lot of your posts is that you don’t seem keen to have a reasonable discussion or a debate at all… you just post diatribes that seem like they’ve been cut and pasted from Sky News or The Australian. When people engage with what you’ve said you often seem to just ignore that which you don’t wish to hear, and only address the points you feel you have grounds to argue back against. Often you just don’t reply at all and post something new so the whole cycle can start again.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I suspect that’s why many on here get frustrated with you. It’s less to do with you being conservative and much more to do with your discussion and online conversation skills.

Are you suggesting that I have been disrespectful to any of you, my fellow Swans members and devoted fans of the Bloods?

I don't spend and never have spent a lot of time here due to work and family commitments. It's been that way for 15 years.

The fact that I appear to be the only conservative voice in an otherwise progressive echo chamber makes it harder to respond on a regular basis or enter into lengthy debates with each individual poster.

I trust this clarifies the matter.

Are you suggesting that I have been disrespectful to any of you, my fellow Swans members and devoted fans of the Bloods?

I don't spend and never have spent a lot of time here due to work and family commitments. It's been that way for 15 years.

The fact that I appear to be the only conservative voice in an otherwise progressive echo chamber makes it harder to respond on a regular basis or enter into lengthy debates with each individual poster.

On your own tonight LNP4LIFE

It doesn’t. If you can find the time to repeatedly drop by and post the latest round of conservative talking points, you can also find time to respond to those who consistently find all number of holes in your arguments. I suspect their points are inconvenient to you and hence it’s easier for you to just ignore them.

Short and sweet . I'm actually just left of centre , but hate Murdoch and co , when that rat falls off the twig there should be a massive party
You do sound very similar to me politically and also in my thoughts on Murdoch.
I voted Liberal mostly, It isn't my sports team though. Most I have grown up around similar, but * the libs are lost these days imho

Unfortunately the Liberals these days aren't what they used to be. They aren't conservative, they are instead far right Christian extremists pandering to the worst of the right. Hence why they are getting more and more out of touch and losing voters. Especially in Victoria

You do sound very similar to me politically and also in my thoughts on Murdoch.

Unfortunately the Liberals these days aren't what they used to be. They aren't conservative, they are instead far right Christian extremists pandering to the worst of the right. Hence why they are getting more and more out of touch and losing voters. Especially in Victoria

The Victorian Liberals -. bedford gets shitty if I discuss overseas politics

It doesn’t. If you can find the time to repeatedly drop by and post the latest round of conservative talking points, you can also find time to respond to those who consistently find all number of holes in your arguments. I suspect their points are inconvenient to you and hence it’s easier for you to just ignore them.
This is often the case with conservatives, especially the ones I often have debates with. As soon as fact and reason get in the way of their narrative, it's often ignored

This is often the case with conservatives, especially the ones I often have debates with. As soon as fact and reason get in the way of their narrative, it's often ignored

People of any extreme ideology tend only to listen so they can reply, be it left or right in my experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back