News Sheedy - Dockers could win flag before Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

The way Lovett played in the last two games Freo can bloody have him. Went back to his soft old habits when the heat was turned up :eek:

I think his bad habits have been present all year, however many people have overlooked them due to his bursts of brilliance. He has been better this year, but he still has a lot of work to do. Definite trade bait (again).

lovett was 100% - his problem is mental. he looked disinterested and certainly wasn't willing to put his body on the line.

i'd say given he has come off a career best season with minimal issues at his age 26/27yo the timing is perfect to trade. buy low sell high etc. his trading value has probably never been higher and at his age its now or never.

Yeah, in all seriousness, I got a text from a mate who's reasonably well connected that said Knights wants to trade Stants and Lovett. My reaction was no deal for Stants, but I'd definitely consider the right trade for Lovett.

Really? If true Knights has bigger balls than I gave him credit for (which isn't to disparage him, I already thought he was pretty daring) . For what little it is worth (and it is worth little) I'd trade both of them for good deals. I don't think either of them are good enough to play key roles in a premiership midfield, but if we wait around for guys who can take the heat off them 4 years could easily pass with little to show. That's not to say they aren't good players, I just think they would be better suited to teams that have stronger midfields where they would get far less attention.

Then again I don't rate our midfield nearly as highly as some seem to so I guess that's where the difference of opinion comes in.

I think his bad habits have been present all year, however many people have overlooked them due to his bursts of brilliance. He has been better this year, but he still has a lot of work to do. Definite trade bait (again).

Hmm, I agree with you but I think it has been more his consistency that has covered his flaws. In fact I think it was more true in previous years it was his "bursts of brilliance" that garnered him so much unwarranted praise. This year he has worked harder, but it is true that his last month or so was disappointing.

Funny Stuff.

I've kept an article frim July 15,2007 where Sheedy selected his 2010 Bomber team based on players at the club.

It went like this

B: Lee, Dick, Reimars
HB: Slattery, Ryder, Nash
C: Hislop, Watson, Dempsey
HF: Lovett, Johns, Davey
F: Gumbelton, Neagle, Dyson
R: Laycock, Winderlich, Jetta
Int: Houli, Hocking, Lonergan, Chartres, McKinnon

Wouldn;t say it's a great prediction.

Ok i love sheeds but he should shut his mouth

and Daniher in the side? i dont think so. why does sheeds rate him. he is pathetic and has been since he came to essendon

that is a player who we should look at getting rid of

Daniher in the side? i dont think so. why does sheeds rate him. he is pathetic and has been since he came to essendon

that is a player who we should look at getting rid of
What? Extremely harsh.

Daniher's been solid in the limited game time he's been given. I could see him slotting in on a back flank; shutting down either the third tall or dangerous small, and providing plenty of run from the back half.

Funny Stuff.

I've kept an article frim July 15,2007 where Sheedy selected his 2010 Bomber team based on players at the club.

It went like this

Wouldn;t say it's a great prediction.

Come on, be honest you just made this team up! Funniest thing I have read all day.

Half those blokes aren't or won't be on our list by then.

I am surprised that Bradley wasn't named in the side as captain.

LOL. Enough said!

That side on paper is one of the worst I've ever seen and the ones highlighted are just the start of it. We would not of won ONE game this year with that particular team - trust me.

I respect the man for what he achieved at the club in his time here and all the wonderful memories, wins & premierships... but he has totally lost me in the last 18 months with his snide comments about players and coaching staff. He is turning into a very bitter and twisted man.

Sheeds, a word of advice ... your coaching may of been (was) fantastic in the mid 1980's and through the 1990's but the game has changed and so have many perceptions about how the game is played. Your opinions about the club and its direction are not welcome or necessary. We could of gone through the year 22-0 this year and he'd still find something to criticise us about or heap the praise all on himself for recruiting some of the players playing at the moment. Keep your opinions to yourself or even better how about some words of wisdom on your own rabble (Richmond). :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? If true Knights has bigger balls than I gave him credit for (which isn't to disparage him, I already thought he was pretty daring) . For what little it is worth (and it is worth little) I'd trade both of them for good deals. I don't think either of them are good enough to play key roles in a premiership midfield, but if we wait around for guys who can take the heat off them 4 years could easily pass with little to show. That's not to say they aren't good players, I just think they would be better suited to teams that have stronger midfields where they would get far less attention.

Then again I don't rate our midfield nearly as highly as some seem to so I guess that's where the difference of opinion comes in.

Hmm, I agree with you but I think it has been more his consistency that has covered his flaws. In fact I think it was more true in previous years it was his "bursts of brilliance" that garnered him so much unwarranted praise. This year he has worked harder, but it is true that his last month or so was disappointing.

Spot on with your assessment of Lovett's season.

He's certainly been very wrong before, but does have good contacts.

Does the article show just how much Sheedy lost it as a manager of people, a reader of the game, and just how stubborn he was at the selection table?

It may be reading too much into it but I'd say that it probably does.

He has not even selected:
  • Monfries: would be up there in the B & F. The coaches asked so much of him and he delivered on the big stage. Significantly was a player who said he lacked direction under Sheedy.
  • Myers: a top 5 draft pick (from all reports the answer to the question of inside midfielder # 2) and player not drafted by Sheedy.
  • Dyson: someone whose confidence Sheedy destroyed (another who lacked direction). Out the door to Fremantle before Knights asked him to stay? He has improved significantly acting as outside midfielder (ball carrier), off half back and as a tagger. May not be in the 22 but exclusion coming from Sheedy it is a little too loaded.
He attacks both of Watson and Hille (although more indirectly). They were the ones who were interviewed about moving Sheedy on weren't they? Funny that they are comfortably the strongest leaders amongst the next generation and vital to our next few years.

Positions in the side that are hard to justify:
  • Welsh: has come of a horrific injury (which I only just remembered as I typed this) but has many limitations. We seem to have potentially better options as defensive type lead up forwards (Reimers and Monfries) and midfield tagger (Hocking). I did a 2011 team (the fact that the thread is dead shows what people thought of it but I couldn't fit Welsh at all).
  • Adam McPhee and Nathan Lovett Murray in the same side: while there are very strong arguments for both, they are virtually the same player (AMP being a little stronger overhead and NLM being better ground level). Both being utilities, it is very hard to get them into the side come 2011 by default.
  • Jason Laycock: I see it, there are some in these parts who see it. The only problem is that there is a real chance that he won't be on the list come 2011.
  • Ryder at CHB: done to accomodate a love child (Laycock)? I can't see this happening because it doesn't seem to suit Paddy and we plenty of other options.
On paper it seems a side that has been robbed of a lot of its pace (clearly our biggest asset at this stage). Especially since it seems that the first four named on the bench are the priorities.

Ryder at CHB is not that silly a choice. What I would do is to alternate the ruck between Hille and Ryder, and when Hille is rucking, and we are having heaps of problems with a gun CHF opponent, I'd put Ryder there to quiet the guy down. Actually, you could alternate several players around the field, Hurley being another one.

Coaches shift players around all the time these days - sometimes there does not appear to be any fixed position for half the team during a game. :confused:

Just quietly, Ryder at CHF sometimes might work also. He's that kind of a player.

Haven't bothered to read the actual article itself, however just saw on Footy Classified a snippet.

When speaking on Jobe, he wrote something along the lines of "if you're going to carry slow players in your midfield, you'd want to have a damn good team". Terrible back-hander.

I'm sorry Sheeds, what was it exactly that your sides for the last four (or so) years were criticised for?

Move on, old man.

I think that Sheedy has been past it for a long time. If he had pulled the pin in 2004 after winning a final (ie not tried for a final 3 year contract) I think he would have retired with a lot more credibility.

As it turned out I think he hung on too long and put his ego before the club, nearly collecting a wooden spoon while the same old problems (eg poor skills and decision making) went unaddressed and players like Dyson and Hocking stayed at Bendigo even when the team was crying out for midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

News Sheedy - Dockers could win flag before Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back