shane o'bree

Remove this Banner Ad

ralu

Team Captain
Mar 7, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
this bloke gets absolutely crucified on our board. most of our supporters hate him due to his disposal. but i totally disagree.

im willing to take any abuse anybody wishes to dish out, but obree is an extremely important player for us, which was clealy evident in the carlton game we nearly lost late this year.

obrees clearance work is crucial along with burns. in order to kick goals, teams must clear the ball from stoppages. as we have had imcompetent rucks throughout the year, this has become a very hard task. hence mm's tactic, to rove to cox in the semi, instead of richards. watch obrees clearance vs wc in the highlights on the site to demonstrate this,

not only did he provide clearance work, he also tackled well (avg 4 tackles) which our game plan is based upon, and also a hard body in the tough stuff!

It is clear that the club value OB highly and consider him a worthy asset. if we didnt have him, we wouldnt have had the year we did.

all those guys out there who hate this bloke, i respect your opinions. ob may not be the most gifted player, but he is very important to our midfeild rotations. maybe watch him in a gane or two and you will realise this.

im expecting passionate critisicm but Obree is a handy player that is certainly required as we dont have many good stoppage players (bar burns,swanny and pendles)

I think he is absolutely important to our side and is great at what he does that said I do hope our next pure inside mid has better disposal.

That said the only real thing you can fault about his game is his disposal, real solid player and great club servant very important to us

I like how he wins the ball. We're not a great clearance team at the moment, so O'Bree's ability at the stoppages is a vital cog in our midfield machine. However, I hate what he does with the ball when he gets it. He has no penetration on his kicking, and his loopy trajectory constantly punishes our forwards. He doesn't run around, cut back, and generally slow down our ball movement as much as he used to, which is good.

He's definitely part of our best 22. But I look forward to the day when young mids will push him out of the team.

does deserve credit, i like him for the clearances. but at times its better he doesnt clear it , he just blind kicks and blazes away, and it ends up being rebounded by the oppositions backline just as quick.

Of course he is important to us but that dont make him any good now does it?! His disposal is pathetic for a professional athlete. Sure he gets plenty of it but what does he do with it? No room in this day and age for a player if he has crap disposal (one of the reasons why the game past Licuria by). My hatred of O'Bree stems from the fact we let heath scotland go and kept this bufoon. He should have been givin the arse a few years ago. :thumbsu:

this bloke gets absolutely crucified on our board. most of our supporters hate him due to his disposal. but i totally disagree.

quote]

Pretty passionate defence to a non-existent problem I think. I don't think many people "hate" OB at all but plenty hate his crap disposal - and rightly so.

heath scotland doesnt get the hardball in and under the packs, he sits in the backline waiting for a sideways chip kick.

saw him live this year at a carlton game, even my brother hates it and hes a carlton supporter. scotland wouild have been nice to have , but to say hed play obrees position better is a big call

heath scotland doesnt get the hardball in and under the packs, he sits in the backline waiting for a sideways chip kick.

saw him live this year at a carlton game, even my brother hates it and hes a carlton supporter. scotland wouild have been nice to have , but to say hed play obrees position better is a big call
Granted. But i doubt he would do any worse than O'Bree. Scotland has much cleaner disposal too which should have been the differentiating factor in who was retained and who was shown the door.

Massively underrated here. When he has the ball at stoppages, the opposition doesn't. He can have his place in the side until we can find someone to replace him in his role, as far as I'm concerned.

Granted. But i doubt he would do any worse than O'Bree. Scotland has much cleaner disposal too which should have been the differentiating factor in who was retained and who was shown the door.

If O'Bree didn't get the hard ball at stoppages many of our players would not see the ball. We are very light on clearance players. Burns and O'Bree are pretty much our only two atm and Burns only plays 50% games time roughly. So adding Scotland who can kick and taking away our ball winner is crazy.

Fair enough you don't rate his disposal but then your beef should be with the fact that inside players haven't been dealt with to push him out of the side, which makes him a required player now. To that I would say that after 03 we had to many honest blue collar workman inside players with poor disposal and now pace. We have been addressing that and our aging Kpp (as the young kpp take longer to develop.) An inside mid's to address the situation would be next on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that O'Bree IS such an important player to the side speaks to the fact that we really are doing a poor job of finding players that can fill his role. We really don't have anyone that can come in and fill his position, not even a youngster with the potential to do it. Same with Burnsy's position and role in the side. Really need to get cracking with that, starting now.

Fair enough you don't rate his disposal but then your beef should be with the fact that inside players haven't been dealt with to push him out of the side, which makes him a required player now.
True, true. But then puts him in the Richards catergory (obviously not as woefull skill wise) of just because his position hasnt been addressed and upgraded, he has been getting a regular game. Is it too harsh to say getting a game by default??
Look honestly I believe he is one of MM pet players and thats why he hasnt been shown the door. We have had plenty of off seasons to grab a player that would have squeezed him out of the line-up.

O'Bree went up on my rating scale a few notches this year. He saved us with his clearance work in a couple of games. As for his disposal it has always been shocking, but was really highlighted when Licca and johnson was in the middle with him, because all 3 would struggle to hit the side of a barn with 10 kicks (though Johnson has improved). I dont mind having him in the middle, you just cross your fingers when he kicks it. If he kicked a few more goals i would really rate him.

My dad hates the guy, but I rate the guy because his clearance work is good. Thought he won us the eagles finals game, by winning some important clearances, though Penadles, Clarke, Thomas got the limelight by setting up the goal, where O'Bree extrated the ball.

I find it hard to see both burns and O'Bree playing more footy beyond this year(08 season), as they are getting on in age, and there was a question over O'Bree's knees , when he got injured late in the year.

Though times ahead after the 08 season, IMO. Huge hole to fill.

Shane has some obvious weaknesses to his game, but his work at the stoppages is invaluable to us at the moment. Who are our up and coming ruck rovers.

I saw Shane at Turnbull Stakes day. I nearly mistook him for a jockey! Given his size I think he does a sensational job for us. Take out Burns and O'Bree and (apart from Swan coming through) we are desperately short of inside, hard ball getting midfielders.
I also don't think his skills are that bad, he really shouldn't be the option on the half back line to kick long anyway.
It's a team game, and we need 22 blokes playing their role (a la Geelong) to win the flag in 2008. Which we will do.

He's not a great player but he's extremely handy for the side considering not many other blokes can play his role. I'm guessing within the next few years, as he'll be getting older others will be stepping it up, especially Pendles. He's a starting player for 2008 no doubt about it.

I think he's one the most underratted players in the competition, the good thing about his blind kicks when he clears the ball it goes to a contest which is what we should do more. Without him I don't think we would have got to the Prelim against Geelong it's guys like him & Burns that actally do the real hard work in order to feed the ball to Pendles ect

Anyone who think Shane O'Bree is not in our best 22 or should be de-listed is an absolute freaking moron.

A mate of mine was talking to a few of the cfc lads the other week , he said that lockyer was a great bloke , fraser was a crack up wearing his footy shorts and a flannelet shirt in the night club and said that O'bree came off as a knob who thought he was king shit which suprised me cause ive only ever seen him as a reasonable player with shit house disposal.:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back