SFNL Division 4 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

South Mornington is a long way from traditional SFNL territory. Might as well be the Vafa with all the travel in this league now. They’ve ruined what was an advantage this league had over competing comps. It does get 8 team divs in place which is a big win

Last edited:
South Mornington is a long way from traditional SFNL territory. Might as well be the Vafa with all the travel in this league now. They’ve ruined what was an advantage this league had over competing comps.

will they go ok in div4?

The MPNFL will be absolutely bleeding about South Mornington

Exactly the sort of club they want for their third division.

SFL landing a few blows of late.
Not sure they would be competitive in the MPNFL. Finished 2nd last in the 7th division of the VAFA so 4th Div. SFL is a better fit, for now at least.

If they manage to gain some traction I would not be surprised if they do make the move in future.

Not sure they would be competitive in the MPNFL. Finished 2nd last in the 7th division of the VAFA so 4th Div. SFL is a better fit, for now at least.

If they manage to gain some traction I would not be surprised if they do make the move in future.
Comparing div 4 VAFA to Div 4 SFNL isn't accurate. I'd say based on if they had the same exact side they had this year for 2020, they'll be somewhere around 4th-6th. I'm sure they'll recruit and push themselves into a finals spot.

True, but the MPNFL don’t want quality teams for their third div. They’re on record as saying it’s for clubs developing, or dropping back down to regenerate. South Mornington would’ve been a perfect fit. But I guess as you say they could move later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing div 4 VAFA to Div 4 SFNL isn't accurate. I'd say based on if they had the same exact side they had this year for 2020, they'll be somewhere around 4th-6th. I'm sure they'll recruit and push themselves into a finals spot.
Clubs around Sth Mornington on the ladder lost to SFNL div 4 sides in practice matches this year. Masala lost to Hallam and I think Lyndale hammered Box Hill Nth. Not a great guide but the best comparison available.

I’d say the two divisions are pretty even.
Good to see a tigers jumper in the SFNL!

Clubs around Sth Mornington on the ladder lost to SFNL div 4 sides in practice matches this year. Masala lost to Hallam and I think Lyndale hammered Box Hill Nth. Not a great guide but the best comparison available.

I’d say the two divisions are pretty even.
Good to see a tigers jumper in the SFNL!
Cheltenham thirds also beat box hill north in a practice match

I wasn’t. I was referencing why a move to the MPNFL may have not been viable for them just at the moment.

Comparisons are difficult. I note reference to Box Hill North. I see they did not win a game this year and in one game lost to SFX by 30 goals. SFX have gone into Div. 3. Sth Morn (2nd last) have gone into Div. 4. Seems about right.

St Johns (VAFA) in Dandenong another possibility of joining SFNL. you would think that Sandown, Dandenong and Lyndale could merge to make 2 stronger teams!

St Johns (VAFA) in Dandenong another possibility of joining SFNL. you would think that Sandown, Dandenong and Lyndale could merge to make 2 stronger teams!

Bit of a throwaway line there adhoc. Not here to argue but 2 or 3 struggling clubs merging can also create 1 struggling club. Having been through merger in another sport it is a fair bit to go through. What ground/name/song, club structure, club policies etc isn't something that comes up in 1 night
Clubs that are fighting for survival need guidence and help from the league itself, I am not talking about a handout but it should be more than what they are doing at present.

Couldn't see why St John's and dandy couldn't merge, 2 clubs in close proximity. As far as the Sandandydale merge goes, it'll never happen.

Bit of a throwaway line there adhoc. Not here to argue but 2 or 3 struggling clubs merging can also create 1 struggling club. Having been through merger in another sport it is a fair bit to go through. What ground/name/song, club structure, club policies etc isn't something that comes up in 1 night
Clubs that are fighting for survival need guidence and help from the league itself, I am not talking about a handout but it should be more than what they are doing at present.

I think that most leagues have too much on their plate to provide guidance. You need to merge 2 teams and establish structure with junior feeder club, sponsors, memberships etc. (St Francis xavier) With 4 teams in very close proximity, it would seem logical for teams to meet and at least discuss. As far as I know Lyndale/Dandenong have been struggling in Div 4 with no success. as for theme songs, jumpers, colors etc, that should be too hard to manage with amount of song writing talent out there. and of teams that I personally know that have merged, taken on afl colors they are now thriving!

I think that most leagues have too much on their plate to provide guidance. You need to merge 2 teams and establish structure with junior feeder club, sponsors, memberships etc. (St Francis xavier) With 4 teams in very close proximity, it would seem logical for teams to meet and at least discuss. As far as I know Lyndale/Dandenong have been struggling in Div 4 with no success. as for theme songs, jumpers, colors etc, that should be too hard to manage with amount of song writing talent out there. and of teams that I personally know that have merged, taken on afl colors they are now thriving!
All very well to take on new clubs but they need to be viable. St Johns played clubbies only last year and like other clubs in the Greater Dandenong area are really struggling. Changing demographic and too many clubs scrapping over a very, very shallow talent pool. Introducing another club from that region would be slap in the face to those that are already doing it tough. Lyndale, Dandenong , Sandown already on their knees. A merge is a good option but bloody painful and never easily achieved.

Not just senior clubs in that area either. Look at how many junior clubs have folded in those parts. North Dandy and Northvale closed their doors last year and hardly any juniors in the GD area feeding into the senior clubs. I’m old enough to remember when footy thrived in those suburbs. Bloody sad really.

Have said this before and I know it's easier said than done but rather than take battling clubs from other comps I would love to see the SFL put their energies into landing a strong club from our heartland area that could come into Div. 1 – Edi-Asp, Parkdale, Beaumaris, Chelsea, Hampton Rovers etc.

All very well to take on new clubs but they need to be viable. St Johns played clubbies only last year and like other clubs in the Greater Dandenong area are really struggling. Changing demographic and too many clubs scrapping over a very, very shallow talent pool. Introducing another club from that region would be slap in the face to those that are already doing it tough. Lyndale, Dandenong , Sandown already on their knees. A merge is a good option but bloody painful and never easily achieved.

Not just senior clubs in that area either. Look at how many junior clubs have folded in those parts. North Dandy and Northvale closed their doors last year and hardly any juniors in the GD area feeding into the senior clubs. I’m old enough to remember when footy thrived in those suburbs. Bloody sad really.

Have said this before and I know it's easier said than done but rather than take battling clubs from other comps I would love to see the SFL put their energies into landing a strong club from our heartland area that could come into Div. 1 – Edi-Asp, Parkdale, Beaumaris, Chelsea, Hampton Rovers etc.

Ha you don’t have to be that old mate, was probably only 20 years ago that the likes of Northvale and North Dandy were packed to the brim with kids, now they’re gone. As you say the demographics in the area have changed very quickly. It affects all, Mulgrave were always a powerhouse in Eastern D2 / fringe of D1, and certainly didn’t do that by spending a lot of money like some EFL clubs do, they were made up heavily of locals. Now they’re in D3 and probably struggling in that... they’ll be okay, they have a junior club in GW Rovers, but it’s not what it was even 10 years ago.

Ha you don’t have to be that old mate, was probably only 20 years ago that the likes of Northvale and North Dandy were packed to the brim with kids, now they’re gone. As you say the demographics in the area have changed very quickly. It affects all, Mulgrave were always a powerhouse in Eastern D2 / fringe of D1, and certainly didn’t do that by spending a lot of money like some EFL clubs do, they were made up heavily of locals. Now they’re in D3 and probably struggling in that... they’ll be okay, they have a junior club in GW Rovers, but it’s not what it was even 10 years ago.
Believe me I am old ! Doveton juniors (the black and green mob) had an incredibly strong junior set up in the 70s and 80s. On top of Northvale and North Dandy; Springy, Springy South, Parkmore and others in that zone were very strong. These clubs all gone and footy in the GD area really battling as a result. Not sure what the answer is. Mergers are tough but I reckon some clubs at least need to start having the conversation.

I know a couple of clubs in the region have tried to start conversations with their neighbours about mergers but have pretty much been told “no thanks”.

These same clubs have asked the league to help out with getting the conversation started but so far no luck there.

Sadly there simply is no plan for the area and those in positions to make decisions for the future of footy in the dandy area have not provided any blueprint for what the future may be.

The Eagles and StJohns seems an easy fit given Doveton started as StJohns old boys back in the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back