Toast Sean Dempster retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

IF Shinner goes then I believe the club have got clarification that he could be placed on LTI List as he'll be forced to retire due to injury.
Marshall would be the man to be promoted, coaches very excited about what he's delivered, probably even more so on training track in match sim than even the VFL.
What that means for our forward structure if he happened to play this year is beyond my comprehension currently!
What it means is those 3 talls in the forward line, who each previously thought their spot was one of the safest in the 22, now have to pull their finger out if they want to keep their spot.

One of Members, Bruce or Paddy plays high. Roo plays back. Gilbert play where he belongs, at Sandy.
Otherwise Bruce plays back and Roo plays high.
I think Membrey showed he has some midfield chops in the first half of the game against West Coast. He's extremely good above his head for his height, as we know, and so far this year it seems like he's taken his running to another level. He'd be extremely valuable if he could turn into a Stringer type for us, constantly switching between midfield and forward line.

The idea of Roo to the backline is one I was thinking of just a couple of days ago if we wanted to get Marshall in and that helped. Imagine him just floating around back there intercept-marking all day long! :eek::)

Would be a nightmare for the opposition side to be looking forward and seeing Nick and Carlisle back there ready to clunk their long kicks in.

I heard today that Shinner all but gone from club. Only sticking point is his payout, but it's all getting closer.

Sad news, but the best decision for him.
He was a great player for us ( not at all hard on the eye either ;)) and I will never forget all the players he "Dempstered".

Wishing him everything of the best.

What it means is those 3 talls in the forward line, who each previously thought their spot was one of the safest in the 22, now have to pull their finger out if they want to keep their spot.
I think having a ruck / forward can only be good.

So that leaves us 1 surplus. Membrey the obvious choice to go up the ground.

I think having a ruck / forward can only be good.

So that leaves us 1 surplus. Membrey the obvious choice to go up the ground.

Cant we let this guy prove he can play before we move our best goalkicker away from the goals. Hickey rucks for 85% of the time as it is. The only way someone else can play forward is if they apply pressure the same as the guy moving and more importantly kick nearly as many goals.

Cant we let this guy prove he can play before we move our best goalkicker away from the goals. Hickey rucks for 85% of the time as it is. The only way someone else can play forward is if they apply pressure the same as the guy moving and more importantly kick nearly as many goals.
No we cannot! AA selection or gtfo...

On a serious note, who do you think is our best ff?

On a serious note, who do you think is our best ff?

I don't say FF anymore. Tall medium or small forwards as they all rotate these days. I would use Paddy, Membery and Bruce as the 3 taller guys in the forward line with Roo going in there when he can. I don't see us playing 2 ruckman even if its a ruck forward unless the others drop off or an injury or probably 2. Clubs are using less and less second rucks and are pinch hitting with basically anyone.

IF Shinner goes then I believe the club have got clarification that he could be placed on LTI List as he'll be forced to retire due to injury.
Marshall would be the man to be promoted, coaches very excited about what he's delivered, probably even more so on training track in match sim than even the VFL.
What that means for our forward structure if he happened to play this year is beyond my comprehension currently!
Exciting times!

I don't say FF anymore. Tall medium or small forwards as they all rotate these days. I would use Paddy, Membery and Bruce as the 3 taller guys in the forward line with Roo going in there when he can. I don't see us playing 2 ruckman even if its a ruck forward unless the others drop off or an injury or probably 2. Clubs are using less and less second rucks and are pinch hitting with basically anyone.

By all accounts the club seem to be very excited about him, which makes me think they definitely see a role for him at some stage.

It would be a PR nightmare if the AFL denied long term concussion as a "long term injury", particually when it just means promoting a rookie or not.

Would love to see Dempster play one last game but probably unlikely if he is honestly that concerned about his health.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a fantastic player for us. Was all that was holding up the back line on occasions. I really hope his health going forward hasn't been compromised. He has been a fabulous servant of the club, and a fan favourite.

Good luck to him if it is decided he is retiring. And thanks.

Last edited:
Sad news, but the best decision for him.
He was a great player for us ( not at all hard on the eye either ;)) and I will never forget all the players he "Dempstered".

Wishing him everything of the best.
EmbleyDempstered.jpg

Andrew Embley went into the round 17 game averaging 25 disposals. But that was until he got Dempstered to only 12 touches and no influence on the game.

BallantyneDempstered.jpg

Round 10 Ballantyne gathered only 13 touches and didnt kick a single goal. Dempster was named StKilda's best player for his job taking home the match ball. In Round 20 he gathered 11 touches and didnt trouble the scorers again. Dempstered twice in the one year.

BoomerDempstered.jpg

Brent Harvey has been Dempstered twice in 2011. Round 15 when he only gathered 17 disposals and had no influence on the game at all. Then in Round 23 he had only 16 touches, 5 clangers, 2 FA and didnt trouble the scorers.

Okeefedempstered.jpg

In Round 22 it was Ryan OKeefes turn to be Dempstered. Restricted to only 16 touches and a goal it was a dirty day for OKeefe as he had no influence on the game at all.

rip stkildathunda

Will officially retire before the end of today, apparently. Potentially, that could leave room for Marshall to be upgraded to play this week.
I doubt the saints would upgrade and play him so quickly. just been involved in practice matches so far. round 1 is this week.

I doubt the saints would upgrade and play him so quickly. just been involved in practice matches so far. round 1 is this week.
Richo has never been hesitant to bring in a new player straight to the seniors: Billings, Dunstan, and even Gresham last year, all had their debut without donning the Zebras' guernsey once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Sean Dempster retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back