Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not getting excited yet, if our moron coach manages to win the next 2 games we are stuck with him for 2025.
Remember what has happened in the past after the untenable comments, 13 wins in a row, after the Brisbane thrashing, we won 5 games we were predicted to lose.
Carn the Hawks, we must get rid of this loser once and for all.
There hasn't been outrage in the media. No booing. Just inevitability. Hinkley haters like us have been quieter than normal bar the signs here and there which have become the norm. Carn Hawks. Finish him.

Chad Cornes presented to the media yesterday.
He said that there has to be a mental element to why they're not performing in finals. The interesting bit was he said that before the game, Ken asked the question of the players "is the moment too big for you?" And Chad said they all said no.

All I can say to that is fück me.

Biggest game of the season and here you've got the coach before the game asking the players whether they can handle playing finals footy? What a moronic way to go about things.

He should have been pumping the players up saying what an incredible job they've done this season to get into this position, that their form over the course of the year proves that they are more than good enough to beat anyone on their day, and that their form in tight games this year, which is typical of finals footy, showed that they were ready for the contest ahead.
Show some fücking belief in your players for once instead of putting the fear of God into them. Jesus Christ.

This is why Ken Hinkley will forever be a loser. The reality is the players should have asked whether the moment is too big for Ken? It unquestionably is.

Let's say that Port decide to terminate Hinkley's employment.
Who do you suggest replacing him with? The coaching market is relatively thin when it comes to available quality at the moment.
It's why Richmond ended up with Yze who is a dud.

What the hell would you know about the coaching market?

You have absolutely no idea about the ability of the next rank of coaches.

Convenient picking the new coach whose taken over a completely depleted list and claiming that as evidence.

Using your logic the pies never should have parted with Buckley and therefor wouldn’t have got McRae and a premiership.

He said that there has to be a mental element to why they're not performing in finals. The interesting bit was he said that before the game, Ken asked the question of the players "is the moment too big for you?" And Chad said they all said no.

Biggest game of the season and here you've got the coach before the game asking the players whether they can handle playing finals footy? What a moronic way to go about things.

He should have been pumping the players up saying what an incredible job they've done this season to get into this position, that their form over the course of the year proves that they are more than good enough to beat anyone on their day, and that their form in tight games this year, which is typical of finals footy, showed that they were ready for the contest ahead.
Show some fücking belief in your players for once instead of putting the fear of God into them. Jesus Christ.

This is why Ken Hinkley will forever be a loser. The reality is the players should have asked whether the moment is too big for Ken? It unquestionably is.
Jeezus lol

I read that as in they had a chat before Chad's press conference. I think it was more challenging them after the fact than what you've described. Even Hinkley wouldn't do that before a final.

I read that as in they had a chat before Chad's press conference. I think it was more challenging them after the fact than what you've described. Even Hinkley wouldn't do that before a final.

Hinkley in the past has told the general public before finals games that "finals are scary" so I put nothing past him anymore.

He has absolutely no belief in himself or his players when the heat gets turned up that they won't wilt and/or melt under the pressure cooker environment.

If that's the type of motivation given by Kenny Average no wonder they $hat the bed.

What an absolute cretin we have for a senior coach.

Asking a question that amounts to "ARE YOU SCARED??" - and expecting a meaningful answer, when players are answering this in front of the whole squad, in a men's sporting club (an environment where toughness, manliness, bravery, confidence are the ideals to be seen as, in front of your peers).

Good one Ken.

I've been saying for DECADES that we as a football club, and many failure-prone football clubs, for that matter, do not value psychology, and the services of sports psychologists, anywhere near enough. I've heard players from premiership clubs / grand finalists (can't remember who, right now, but I think Lachie Neale was one), say how they were in sessions with the psych, addressing various things.

What kinds of things can a sports psych. help with? I'll list a few, off the top of my head.

• Goalkicking: Techniques to block out crowd noise, booing and offputting comments called out by oppo fans
  • Goalkicking: How to get in the 'zone' ('flow-state') and stay there for the duraion of your routine
  • Goalkicking: Techniques for managing stress and handling pressure before beginning your goalkicking routine
  • Techniques for managing stress and handling pressure in difficult, close games
  • Techniques for managing stress and handling pressure when you are being thrashed, or the oppo have put on a run of goals
  • Increasing your confidence levels and belief, both in yourself and your teammates
  • Overcoming Fear of Failure
  • Techniques for getting yourself into a desired mental state, such as being ready to "run through walls"

There'd be 100 more, those are with a couple of minutes thought.

So the team psychs would not only teach these to players, but TRAIN the players in them on a regular basis, leading either individuals or groups of them through exercises, as regularly and diligently as physical/skills training is done.

To do this you need a team of sports psychs. on board, instead of the 1 or 2 we currently have (unless I am mistaken).

But imagine our team, full of players properly trained in these kinds of techniques, lead by a half-competent senior coach.

We'd be unstoppable.

There is an iota of a possibility that the young Hawks find the big stage of this final too much and our best players stand up and with their out and out skill kick some goals.

The more realistic scenario is the young, fast, hungry Hawks run riot and the only interesting bet on Sportsbet is when the boys drop their heads and allow an uninterrupted gaol spree followed by those self-congratulatory, haughty and irritating celebrations.

I'm a big Wiz fan though.

It just keeps getting better.

There is an iota of a possibility that the young Hawks find the big stage of this final too much and our best players stand up and with their out and out skill kick some goals.

The more realistic scenario is the young, fast, hungry Hawks run riot and the only interesting bet on Sportsbet is when the boys drop their head and allow an uninterrupted gaol spree followed by those self-congratulatory, haughty and irritating celebrations.

I'm a big Wiz fan though.

Didn't like Wiz in the draft at all. Now watching him live on Friday night is possibly going to be the highlight of the evening.

When I first read the reporting of Chad's presser I took it as referring to the team meeting on Saturday morning before the presser, not before the game on Thursday night,

1725756489732.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I first read the reporting of Chad's presser I took it as referring to the team meeting on Saturday morning before the presser, not before the game on Thursday night,

View attachment 2104849

Who cares when he said it? Why are you putting that kind of doubt in the players' minds in the lead up to the biggest game of the season?

Irrespective of when the question was asked, it's a bit rich coming from a head coach who in his own playing career was never able to get it done.

I can definitely imagine our genius coach doing that.

Thinking something like "good to get these things out in the open and talk about them" (the time for that is NOT on the actual day of the final, Kenny...)

The footy show lol, they put up a graphic on Bevos last four finals and pointed out nothing has changed under his coaching. At Port they didn't follow the script, ****ing had enough of this shit.
At the Bulldogs Bevos writes the script, at Port Hinkley writes the script, what's the difference.

Last edited:
There hasn't been outrage in the media. No booing. Just inevitability. Hinkley haters like us have been quieter than normal bar the signs here and there which have become the norm. Carn Hawks. Finish him.

I was listening to 3AW before yesterday's game and they talked about Hinkley. Tony Shaw was one commentator, not sure who the other two were. None of them thought categorically that Hinkley should go. One ummed and ahhed a bit, in the end settled on It should be his decision. The other two put it all on the players, what could poor Kenny do.

If that was Collingwood, Carlton, name your Vic club, they would have forensically dissected the coach.

I'm not getting excited yet, if our moron coach manages to win the next 2 games we are stuck with him for 2025.
Remember what has happened in the past after the untenable comments, 13 wins in a row, after the Brisbane thrashing, we won 5 games we were predicted to lose.
Carn the Hawks, we must get rid of this loser once and for all.
Don't worry.

Mitchell knows about youse lot and will win specifically for ya!

Let's say that Port decide to terminate Hinkley's employment.
Who do you suggest replacing him with? The coaching market is relatively thin when it comes to available quality at the moment.
It's why Richmond ended up with Yze who is a dud.

Who were Collingwood going to get to replace Nathan Buckley?

Who were GWS going to get to replace Leon Cameron?

Who were the Western Bulldogs going to get to replace Brandan McCartney?

Who were West Coast going to get to replace John Worsfold?

Who were Hawthorn going to get to replace Peter Schwab?

Want me to continue? And if poor old Kenny hasn’t got the cattle to be any chance then surely first year coach Adem Yze gets cut some slack too with his list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back