Review Round 8, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They say you never forget your first Afl game.

Logan Morris has the best story I can recall.

Two games, junk food, no boots and played in the game that restored the teams confidence and started a winning streak.

Bet you can't wipe the smile off his face today. When he finally wakes up that is.
It is an amazing story and definitely one for the ages.

One small tidbit I don’t quite understand and this isn’t just directed at Logan, but surely it must be mandatory for any emergency (not just at the Lions) for any given game to ensure you have your boots and mouth guard and whatever else you need to play on hand for circumstances like this. I mean you’re an emergency, so how you can be at a game and if called upon, not have what you need.

Fortunately it didn’t matter for Logan but it couldn’t have been ideal playing in a pair of boots a size too small and surely the club insists that all emergencies names from now on have what they need should they be called upon.

It is an amazing story and definitely one for the ages.

One small tidbit I don’t quite understand and this isn’t just directed at Logan, but surely it must be mandatory for any emergency (not just at the Lions) for any given game to ensure you have your boots and mouth guard and whatever else you need to play on hand for circumstances like this. I mean you’re an emergency, so how you can be at a game and if called upon, not have what you need.

Fortunately it didn’t matter for Logan but it couldn’t have been ideal playing in a pair of boots a size too small and surely the club insists that all emergencies names from now on have what they need should they be called upon.

Roar deal guys talked about this - Morris has been emergency before and never used so probably thinks emergency means you are doing good, we recognize you.

Is 18, and all 18 yo have no idea of what they are doing in their first job. Show up and smile works for them.

He's probably never seen that kind of carnage before, so bobbing along with no idea that emergencies ever occur.

Big stupid (in the very best way) kid, keeping us oldies amused. Makes him more lovable.

I guarantee he will now travel everywhere with boots etc. Day at the beach -- I'll throw in the boots. Hot date --can never be to careful, I'll put them in the car boot.

Roar deal guys talked about this - Morris has been emergency before and never used so probably thinks emergency means you are doing good, we recognize you.

Is 18, and all 18 yo have no idea of what they are doing in their first job. Show up and smile works for them.

He's probably never seen that kind of carnage before, so bobbing along with no idea that emergencies ever occur.

Big stupid (in the very best way) kid, keeping us oldies amused. Makes him more lovable.

I guarantee he will now travel everywhere with boots etc. Day at the beach -- I'll throw in the boots. Hot date --can never be to careful, I'll put them in the car boot.

And always have that jersey under other attire Superman style because you just never know.

He had a lot of the ball and that bullet pass to Morris was sublime, but some of his disposals were not up to the level of someone wanting $1mil+ per year.

You could probably attribute many of them to being completely stuffed. Would be interesting to compare his DE between this game and his average.

Coach’s Votes​

Brisbane v Gold Coast​

10 Dayne Zorko (BL)
7 Harris Andrews (BL)
7 Josh Dunkley (BL)
4 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
2 Lachie Neale (BL)

Interesting particularly given discussion of Hugh’s high disposal low disposal efficiency game. I had him ranked sixth best. Looking at these number both coaches must have given him votes.

Finally finished watching the replay today. Couple of things really stood out that perhaps I didn't notice live.

1. I don't think we kicked long down the line to a contest AT ALL in midfield. Every single "long kick to a contest" landed inside 50. This was quite remarkable and a massive shift from our style in previous years, where long kicks to a contest from kick-ins and from half back were very common. My original comments about this in November were at a very high level and actually developing the movement patterns, both by receivers and those creating space for those receivers, are pretty complex I expect.

But massive kudos to the club for developing this to the point where it feels like this is a sustainable method of ball movement. The key to it is ensuring that multiple options exist at any one moment, whereby if an opposition defence shuts down one option, another one automatically opens up as a consequence. For example, we might zig zag our way down one side of the field. Then if the defence shifts over there next time to cut that off, fine, we'll come back through the corridor and/or maybe go out the other side.

I expect this will be more difficult on a narrower ground like Adelaide Oval, so this will be a challenge on Sunday.

In the meantime I think this goes a long long way to explaining why we are currently leading the league in inside 50s. However it also goes some way to explaining why we have struggled to actually generate shots when we get in there. I still think we can do more to get within 60-75m (rather than 90-95m) before we kick long inside 50. This will ensure we get much deeper/better entries, are more likely to score, and are also more likely to be able to lock the ball in.

So this is the next challenge from a strategic perspective, but very promising signs.

2. I thought all our talls were outstanding, and the work rate of Joe and Eric in particular really stood out. They were often seen back in defence helping out, and I'm not even sure Joe was playing in ruck at the time. Even when he was forward, I thought Joe's defensive intent was the best it's been. He actually played like he gave a stuff. It was impressive. More of that please.

Same with Kai, which many of us have already posted about. In fact it got to the point where he really made the efforts of a couple of our guys look second rate. This is a great test of our club's culture... Cam Rayner is in the leadership group, but in a strong team, this doesn't stop a young fella who has played 16 games from really challenging Cam to be better. And that can be in a good natured way too, like barbs such as "can't keep up old man?" on the training track. If that means Cam needs to keep working on his fitness, however it looks, then it is up to all our guys to keep pushing him on that, not just the coaches and not just the leadership group.

And it is on Cam to take this feedback in the constructive manner it's intended.

That sort of discourse also throws down the gauntlet to Kai himself as well - he needs to keep meeting or exceeding those standards he set on Sunday night, otherwise it's all just talk. He kicked a lovely long goal on Sunday night but my favourite moment of his was when he spoiled a short kick-in out of bounds, and celebrated to the crowd almost like he had kicked a goal. Good on him. Keep bringing that energy young man.

Coach’s Votes​

Brisbane v Gold Coast​

10 Dayne Zorko (BL)
7 Harris Andrews (BL)
7 Josh Dunkley (BL)
4 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
2 Lachie Neale (BL)

Interesting particularly given discussion of Hugh’s high disposal low disposal efficiency game. I had him ranked sixth best. Looking at these number both coaches must have given him votes.
Interestingly they were my 5 votes I believe

Finally finished watching the replay today. Couple of things really stood out that perhaps I didn't notice live.

1. I don't think we kicked long down the line to a contest AT ALL in midfield. Every single "long kick to a contest" landed inside 50. This was quite remarkable and a massive shift from our style in previous years, where long kicks to a contest from kick-ins and from half back were very common. My original comments about this in November were at a very high level and actually developing the movement patterns, both by receivers and those creating space for those receivers, are pretty complex I expect.

But massive kudos to the club for developing this to the point where it feels like this is a sustainable method of ball movement. The key to it is ensuring that multiple options exist at any one moment, whereby if an opposition defence shuts down one option, another one automatically opens up as a consequence. For example, we might zig zag our way down one side of the field. Then if the defence shifts over there next time to cut that off, fine, we'll come back through the corridor and/or maybe go out the other side.

I expect this will be more difficult on a narrower ground like Adelaide Oval, so this will be a challenge on Sunday.

In the meantime I think this goes a long long way to explaining why we are currently leading the league in inside 50s. However it also goes some way to explaining why we have struggled to actually generate shots when we get in there. I still think we can do more to get within 60-75m (rather than 90-95m) before we kick long inside 50. This will ensure we get much deeper/better entries, are more likely to score, and are also more likely to be able to lock the ball in.

So this is the next challenge from a strategic perspective, but very promising signs.

2. I thought all our talls were outstanding, and the work rate of Joe and Eric in particular really stood out. They were often seen back in defence helping out, and I'm not even sure Joe was playing in ruck at the time. Even when he was forward, I thought Joe's defensive intent was the best it's been. He actually played like he gave a stuff. It was impressive. More of that please.

Same with Kai, which many of us have already posted about. In fact it got to the point where he really made the efforts of a couple of our guys look second rate. This is a great test of our club's culture... Cam Rayner is in the leadership group, but in a strong team, this doesn't stop a young fella who has played 16 games from really challenging Cam to be better. And that can be in a good natured way too, like barbs such as "can't keep up old man?" on the training track. If that means Cam needs to keep working on his fitness, however it looks, then it is up to all our guys to keep pushing him on that, not just the coaches and not just the leadership group.

And it is on Cam to take this feedback in the constructive manner it's intended.

That sort of discourse also throws down the gauntlet to Kai himself as well - he needs to keep meeting or exceeding those standards he set on Sunday night, otherwise it's all just talk. He kicked a lovely long goal on Sunday night but my favourite moment of his was when he spoiled a short kick-in out of bounds, and celebrated to the crowd almost like he had kicked a goal. Good on him. Keep bringing that energy young man.
kudos for you re-watching!

my overwhelming impression was we had such good access to the corridor. and the suns defended it really poorly.

maybe i am not giving enough credit for attacking kicking or harder running?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my overwhelming impression was we had such good access to the corridor. and the suns defended it really poorly.

The number of times hugh was standing in the corridor with no one playing on him was crazy

It's a good question, and something we could probably only answer properly in reviewing the whole season. But if you wanted to break it down game by game...

1. Great for a quarter and a half against Carlton until we literally lost interest
  2. Against Freo we had nobody in our back half who could actually kick the ball, until Zorko went back
  3. Against Collingwood nobody could hit the side of a barn, so really hard to tell what our plan was to any great extent
  4. Not a lot of opposition against North, but also not a lot of capacity to go any direction other than forwards given the shape of the ground
  5. Pretty good against Melbourne until the last quarter
  6. Completely the wrong conditions to play that way against Geelong
  7. Giants we were just awful all round. Our application was so bad it's hard to tell what the plan was.
  8. Really good against Gold Coast.
So I mean, maybe the truth is a bit of both but the fact we were able to pull it off well against Melbourne as well, who are much heralded defensively, perhaps indicates there's something to this approach.

Either way now that I've spotted it I'll keep a bit closer eye on this going forward.

It's a good question, and something we could probably only answer properly in reviewing the whole season. But if you wanted to break it down game by game...

1. Great for a quarter and a half against Carlton until we literally lost interest
  2. Against Freo we had nobody in our back half who could actually kick the ball, until Zorko went back
  3. Against Collingwood nobody could hit the side of a barn, so really hard to tell what our plan was to any great extent
  4. Not a lot of opposition against North, but also not a lot of capacity to go any direction other than forwards given the shape of the ground
  5. Pretty good against Melbourne until the last quarter
  6. Completely the wrong conditions to play that way against Geelong
  7. Giants we were just awful all round. Our application was so bad it's hard to tell what the plan was.
  8. Really good against Gold Coast.
So I mean, maybe the truth is a bit of both but the fact we were able to pull it off well against Melbourne as well, who are much heralded defensively, perhaps indicates there's something to this approach.

Either way now that I've spotted it I'll keep a bit closer eye on this going forward.
Melbourne very well known for clogging up games. They did seem off against us. But i mean if i say that for every one of our good games that seems unfair! MCG a lot bigger... is it possible we are better on bigger grounds now? hahah

AO is narrow but quite long. Not sure that bodes well for corridor use? It does have space though. It was so good seeing players run way in to defence v the suns. I hope we keep it up, clogs up oppo forward line and frees up space for us. Suspect it was just being men down though...

I watched him play his first QAFL seniors game as a 15 year old. Made them look stupid.

Bernie L hope you don't mind me reposting this.

Bernie is talking about shadeau brain. It's high praise.

Last week I went to the game thinking win or lose it will be exciting to see a youngster get his chance. Little did I know.

Same applies this week. Injuries suck, but energy levels are high.

Last edited:
Bernie L hope you don't mind me reposting this.

Bernie is talking about shadeau brain. It's high praise.

Last week I went to the game thinking win or lose it will be exciting to see a youngster get his chance. Little did I know.

Same applies this week. Injuries suck, but energy levels are high.

All good mate. He comes from a ripping family too. I was involved at Noosa that year. There was a huge buzz about him. There are a lot of proud people at that club.
Really hope he goes well.

Back