Round 6 vs. Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched Lyon's press conference after the match, he is one cool character. Mentioned he expected the whole list to stand up, I think he may wield a few extra changes. Convinced he will lead us to a flag. Gonna thrash those Doggies ah think.

Changes;
In: Gram, Ray, Steven, Stanley, Macca
Out: King, Clarke, McQualter, Peake, flip a coin for either Eddy or Geary.

Anyone who seeks to drop Clarke can stop posting. The end.

IN: Ray, Gram, McEvoy
OUT: Kosi, McQualter, Gardiner/King

B: Gilbert - Blake - Baker
HB: Gram - Fisher - Clarke
C: Montagna - Armitage - Ray
HF: Schneider - Goddard - Dal Santo
F: Milne - Dawson - Peake
R: Gardiner/King - Hayes - Jones
INT: McEvoy - Geary - Eddy - Gwilt

In : Gram, Ray, Pattison, McEvoy, Steven

Out : Geary, McQualter, King, Gardiner, Armitage

:confused:

Not sure about the outs but Gram and Ray should both be definite inclusions as we need their run and pace against the Dogs.

McEvoy should be a big chance to come in too, either as a forward or in the ruck to replace King. I think we need a more mobile ruckman against the Dogs. They will probably play Roughead again who is pretty mobile so McEvoy would be a better match up.

I'd also like to see Stanley come in to play at CHF but I won't be holding my breath. We would probably need to drop one of our tall defenders to include him but I think we could get by with one less tall defender against the Dogs who don't have a very tall forwardline.

The other big question is who do we play on Hall? I don't think we should be playing Dawson on him like we did in the NAB Cup GF, Hall tore him to shreds. I'd be going with one of Blake, Gwilt or Fisher as they all have the strength and smarts to cope with him. Probably Blake or Gwilt as I think Fisher is better at playing the loose man/third man up role.

I guess if Dawson doesn't play on Hall, he would be an obvious out for Stanley.

Lets not go over the top with changes guys.

It was a dissapointing effort but we have won 26 of our last 29 or so and I can't remember more than 2 changes in all that time.

How about giving some youngsters a chance? Stanley (forward, not ruck) and Jack Steven. Both of those should be given a go and I think they could do really well. It would add some spark to the team, that's for sure. I agree Stanley is not ready for the rigors of playing in the ruck at AFL level, but could be given a go a game or two as a forward. It's an area of need for St.kilda, so it's worth a punt.

I stand by claim that King is finished at AFL level, far too slow and does not contribute around the ground.

Dawson needs to be dropped to find a bit of spark and form, like he had in defense in the 2009 season.

Won't be massive changed, you guys know Rossy

Gram and Ray back if fit, out goes Eddy and Peake

Milne for Jack I want to see, as he was horrible

Macca for King (esp if Roughead is playing)

Stanley has to play now. Time to unleash him Rossy.

Also, whats the ticketing arrangements for Friday? Is it like the Collingwood game or is it as per normal?

Why? He was utterly useless against Port.

I think lordjimmy is raph clarke.

For me

In: Gram, Ray, Steven, McEvoy, Stanley

Out: Eddy, King, Clarke, Dawson, McQualter

More attack, and less need for tall defenders against the dogs..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stanley was unsighted at Sandy.

Fair enough his a good a talent, but gee, make him earn it first.

I'm not sure I subscribe to that theory, it would be tougher for Stanley to play well in the VFL with lesser standard players on a country ground in front of a handful of people.

Put Stanley in the AFL on the big stage with quality midfielders like Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo supplying him and I reckon he will shine. He showed that in the NAB Cup, he has star quality written all over him.

I'm just asking for him to be given a chance. If Stanley fails I'm happy to wear the criticism but I'll back him to be a success. We won't know if we don't give him a go though.

in: Gram, Ray, McEvoy
Out: McQualter, Eddy, King
Dawson might go instead of McQualter
Lyon won't make more changes than that after one loss.
Stanley's first AFL game, against the Dogs? No chance.

Dream

In: Gram, Ray, Stanley McEvoy
Out: Clarke, McQualter, Kosi, Geary

Reality

No change

Stanley was unsighted at Sandy.

Fair enough his a good a talent, but gee, make him earn it first.
Looking at the scores, I assume it was at Willy?
The wind on that point of Hobsons Bay and PP Bay where the oval is located would have made it impossible for a big marking forward to have any major impact. Put him under the dome and watch him fly.

I have liked peake, but i dont think we use him as much as we could.
I was at the freo game and several times he worked into space on the free side of the ground.
It would have been the perfect switch but he was not seen and we kicked to a contest.

I can't knock Geary for his effort against Port.
He was going in hard, trying for clearances and failing to an extent, but he was doing the right sort of things, and if he keeps working at it, it may all come together for him.
Having said that, he may be the one that needs to be dropped for Ray.
Gram has to come in if fit, and I think I'd bring in Ray against the dogs.
I'm not sure if we should play Dawson on Hall ( Hall thrashed him pre-season ) or drop Dawson and play Fisher on him? If Dawson stays in Raph is out.

If we bring in another tall, Pattison or Stanley, I think we'd need to drop Eddy as well, not that he wasn't good, just to balance the team a bit.

Fisher, Gwilt, Baker
Gram, Blake, Gilbert
Montagna, Armitage, DalSanto
Hayes, McQualter, Stanley
Milne , Kosi, Schnieder

Gardiner, Goddard, Jones

Peake, Clark, McEvoy, Ray.

our forward line is to small so we need to bring in lynch,stanley, pattison etc as mini and company have not played well for a while. we need some size in the forward line as the doggies back line solid. Lynch is good in and under which could help with dropping one od the small forwards. hard to play milne,schnids and mini, they are all small players.
i know it has worked in the past but we had another tall forward with exceptional ability to bring them into the game. now we only have kozzi and he is struggling, needs more time.

our forward line is to small so we need to bring in lynch,stanley, pattison etc as mini and company have not played well for a while. we need some size in the forward line as the doggies back line solid. Lynch is good in and under which could help with dropping one od the small forwards. hard to play milne,schnids and mini, they are all small players.
i know it has worked in the past but we had another tall forward with exceptional ability to bring them into the game. now we only have kozzi and he is struggling, needs more time.

Yeah if we don't bring someone else in, Goddard or someone has to play as a proper forward and not go running off to the backline.

Drop Armitage ?

Are you serious ..... He has been a total positive this season so far.

Has he really ?

I don't think he will be dropped, but imagine what some on this board would say if say a Clarke, Dawson or Koschitzke played Armitage's position in conditions made for him (I don't even want to imagine what Luke Ball would have done in such conditions) and ended a game with just 6 contested possessions, 4 tackles and 1 (!) clearance (Clarke played a defensive role and ended up with 5 contested possessions, 4 tackles and 1 clearance).

He was solid against North and very good against Fremante, but similarily 'below average' (to use an expression from the whipping boys thread - no mention of Armitage in there, of course) against Sydney and Collingwood.

Apologies to Armitage, it's not his fault and I could have used others (e.g. the zero gamer 'Riewoldt replacement' Rhys Stanley), but there are definitely two sets of standards used here.

Some only see what they want to see...

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 6 vs. Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back