Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the game back this morning. Outside of a 3-minute period late in the second quarter, it was a 3-goal game with a team scraping the bottom of the barrel for players. Top effort in my book. Williams, Kelly, Culley all looked good. Barrass played a better game than the past few weeks.

Apart from the 2nd qtr was a pretty good game.

Enjoyed seeing Culley kick some goals and Williams play well.
Kelly was good around the ball and Jones provided some good run from the d50.
Barrass found some form and waterman continued his good form this season.

Gaffs kicking just seems to get worse and worse when he used to be great at delivering i50. Trew was a non factor and Rotham looked a bit out of his depth but all in all we played ok even tho it was still a 40pt loss.

Was so good to see Bazzo out there, if only for a quarter or so. Think when he gets to full fitness he stays in the side.

Genuinely never worry when he has ball in hand, even in tight situations. For a guy 195cm he’s really agile.

Bazzo, Hough, Culley, Ginbey, Hewett, Long - a really good start to a rebuild and all look AFL quality already.

Then Chesser, Barnett, Burgiel, baker, dewar, J Williams who are all too early to write off but also too early to tell if they make it or not.

We’ve done well drafting recently (should have with the picks we have had, but also some great late picks). Need to continue for 2 more years and add some elite youngsters

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the big question coming in to this year was whether we could find a few players in the mid-age range to take the next step up to being first graders. I don't think there was a lot of optimism there pre-season but it is probably one of the most pleasant surprises so far. BBW and Waterman get huge ticks, as does Jones. SPS and Witherden have also really improved, and Hunt has proven to be a very smart pick up. Add in the lift from Kelly and Allen outperforming expectations and our future stocks look a lot better than they did a few months ago.

Positives
Culley kicking 4 goals
Williams
Duggan was solid
Bazzo needs to play in the team
Allen and Darling worked hard all day

Negatives
Culley playing as a forward
Another injury to Shuey
Barrass getting towered up by another KPF
Kelly -half his possessions are turnovers
Gaff is just so ordinary with his kicking
Rotham gotta go, not up to AFL standard

You could see Williams has been coached by Nic Nat. Apart from his tap work (which was still good) the way he won the ball and impacted was Nic like. For him to play like this tho is that he needs to get bigger/stronger but also in a way that doesn’t take away from his athleticism

Positives
Culley kicking 4 goals
Williams
Duggan was solid
Bazzo needs to play in the team
Allen and Darling worked hard all day

Negatives
Culley playing as a forward
Another injury to Shuey
Barrass getting towered up by another KPF
Kelly -half his possessions are turnovers
Gaff is just so ordinary with his kicking
Rotham gotta go, not up to AFL standard
Harsh on Barrass, he had 12 intercepts, 10 marks, 89% disposal efficiency - he was a rock in defence. He needs to be able to zone off his man from time to time to play his intercept role.

Harsh on Barrass, he had 12 intercepts, 10 marks, 89% disposal efficiency - he was a rock in defence. He needs to be able to zone off his man from time to time to play his intercept role.
Think Barrass conceded max two goals. Rotham conceded most of it and I reckon Theres was a goal where duggan was on Finlayson. TB didn’t go to finlayson till very late

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back