VFL Game Day Round 3: Essendon vs Frankston, The Hangar, Sunday 10/04/2022 @ 12:35 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Two of the winless sides meet this week in the first ever VFL game for premiership points at The Hangar, in a match that will be vital in terms of the race for avoiding the spoon. In their history, Essendon have never lost to Frankston, with an average winning margin of 75 points. However don't expect that to continue with Essendon's VFL list looking a lot weaker than in previous years.

Essendon had a very close loss to bogey team Casey, returning livewire Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti missing a shot after the siren which would have won the game for the Bombers. Captain Joe Atley and first round draftee Ben Hobbs were prominent through the midfield, collecting 50 touches and a goal to Hobbs between them, whilst up forward Alec Waterman showed his quality with 3 goals.

Frankston lead briefly in the third quarter but were otherwise behind all game against UWS, shuffling them to the bottom of the ladder after two rounds. Will Fordham was good with 19 disposals and a whopping 14 tackles in the midfield, whilst former North Melbourne forward Will Walker was the only multiple goal kicker with 2, Sam Fletcher the leading possession winner for the Dolphins with 20.

Possible side:

FB: Cody Brand - Zachary Reid - Garrett McDonagh
HB: Mason Redman - Josh Eyre - Alastair Lord
MF: Sam Conforti - Joe Atley - Alec Waterman
HF: Devon Smith - Cian McBride - Tom Hird
FF: Aaron Francis - Kaine Baldwin - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
OB: Nick Bryan - Ben Hobbs - Patrick Voss
IC: Will Golds - Kyle Weightman - Jake Sutton - Dylan Landt
23P: Joel Fitzgerald

I reckon we'll get them. Maybe by 5 goals

#4.png

Bradtke is the only real tall inside 50 so I'd like to see McBride play forward to really stretch their defence. Hobbs, Smith, Brand and Francis all named from our emergencies, so maybe Smith is the sub? It'd be him or Francis I think/

Expect Iacobaccio to captain in the absence of Atley. Would expect Fitz, Simpson, Iaccobaccio, Sutton, Brown, Hollows and maybe Bannister to play off that extended bench (given we have 17 named on field and one more will be sub).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eth-dog - you'll be able to answer this.

How many times can we play the same player as our 23rd? Is there a cap, as this is Fitzgerald's second run.
It's his third. Under the old rules it was 3 times in H&A, not sure about now.

It's his third. Under the old rules it was 3 times in H&A, not sure about now.
I had a quick look but could not find anything about how many they can play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back