Review Round 3, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

My first time posting for 2 weeks as two w***er moderators game me a 2 week ban.

My key points of this game were

- Lachie Jones is the worst player I’ve ever seen. Worse than Fabian deluca, Daniel steward, any of those guys. I’ve said it for a long time, he’s not even a decent sanfl player. Epic liability

- Bergman down on form again, wonder if he’s having trouble adapting to the wing

- I think Drew has been our best mid this year. He’s been epic and elite delivery into 50.

- Farrell invisible once again when the pressure is ramped up.

- Our half forward and half back lines are not premiership lines.

Before the game Rozee had a good chat with Petty, after the game Marshall had a long chat with Oliver. Boaky of course caught up with Petracca.

Before the game Rozee had a good chat with Petty, after the game Marshall had a long chat with Oliver. Boaky of course caught up with Petracca.
I guess that's the reality of professional sport. The players are nowhere near as tribal as the fans.

What I can't deal with is the head coach grinning from ear to ear after an unacceptable loss.

Disappointed in the game last night but I did see an improvement in young Mead. Looks to be a natural competitor and good by hand and foot. Not quick but can add to the midfield group

I wouldn’t want our only AFL premiership & grand final coach to lower himself by coming and working under Hinkley and this clown show of an administration as a skills coach. And he’d feel the same.

Honestly, I think the Williams family would be ashamed of what the club’s become.
The shame started in the 2007 Grand Final

Not necessarily. Rozee is 24 - if JHF is "that guy" in 4 years time I wouldn't be surprised to see a handover with Rozee headed into the twilight of his career.

It's definitely a pot kettle black moment. No debating that at all.

I can't stand the way Ken will consistently talk up the Oppo in the lead up to a game. He puts the negative mindset of "it's just so hard" into our players before the game has even been contested.

Take this last game for example. He literally said after the Richmond game he wasn't looking forward to the Demons game because it was going to be a huge challenge.

I'd much rather a coach who says "right now we're 2-0 heading into a primetime game on national TV and they have to come into our stadium in front of 40 thousand raucous Port Adelaide fans - I can't wait and I know that our boys are going to give it everything, because they're ready for the contest."

Instead you get this meek pissant remark that you will absolutely never hear from a winner.
Jack Cahill would have approached it as you are saying. Jack being a winner the other bloke a loser.

King makes a good point here on this 38:04 :

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Butters should have been the captain for many reasons:

-One of the toughest players in the comp pound for pound (As voted by the majority of afl players in 2023)

- is not afraid to call others out, i remember last year he absolutely sprayed farell for not giving butters the handball after trying to break a tackle and getting caught holding the ball

-I feel as if rozee is more of a put your arm around him bloke (we have enough of them such as Ken hinkley and co) than a sturn and strict leader that butters is

then again i could could be way off the mark as we are all outsiders looking in

Not necessarily. Rozee is 24 - if JHF is "that guy" in 4 years time I wouldn't be surprised to see a handover with Rozee headed into the twilight of his career.

My concern is that I think JHF will be that guy in 2 years time when Rozee is only 26.

I understand why they went in the direction they did but I can't help but feel we'll be sat here in 2 years time thinking 'maybe we should've just given it to Ollie until the Hornet was ready'.

I guess that's the reality of professional sport. The players are nowhere near as tribal as the fans.

What I can't deal with is the head coach grinning from ear to ear after an unacceptable loss.

Cause he really does hate us, that’s fine, cause I hate him more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are better off not making a GF than losing one with the greatest margin ever.

I disagree. The day itself was a disaster but I'll always be proud of what that team achieved that year. They had no business in a grand final. They got burnt because they had the courage and toughness to find their way to a stage they should never have been on. The present day team would actually be able to compete in a grand final but they'd never get there because they're as soft as butter.

My concern is that I think JHF will be that guy in 2 years time when Rozee is only 26.

I understand why they went in the direction they did but I can't help but feel we'll be sat here in 2 years time thinking 'maybe we should've just given it to Ollie until the Hornet was ready'.

Giving the captaincy to Ollie would have been a disaster.

1) he was apathetic about wanting it in the first place
2) he had a horrible 2023 and could conceivably have been out of the best 22 in 2024 had he not seen a turn in his form over the pre-season.

22 is way too young to be captain imo. Let the kid develop. Don't need to be a captain to be a leader either. Robbie Gray had all the talent in the world but he was never even in the leadership group.

JHF is going to be a great player provided he continues to develop consistency. That will come in time. He probably will be a leader down the track but that is many a year away.

Connor is a very good leader of this team imo. Good head on his shoulders, leads by example both on the field and at Alberton, universally respected by the squad, and a face that is marketable to fans and sponsors.

Was totally laughable it was that dumb
Many of our players did dumb things last night and even though I am not a Hinkley fan, you can't blame him for the stupidity displayed by our players. We will see next week if they learnt anything.

It's easier to play silly football against weaker opposition and get away with it. Richmond and West Coast are weaker opposition and we toyed with them: we can't f**k around with the top sides and hope to get away with it.

Many of our players did dumb things last night and even though I am not a Hinkley fan, you can't blame him for the stupidity displayed by our players. We will see next week if they learnt anything.

It's easier to play silly football against weaker opposition and get away with it. Richmond and West Coast are weaker opposition and we toyed with them: we can't f**k around with the top sides and hope to get away with it.
He is however 100% responsible for selecting them, and not adequately being able to coach them out of being idiots (or building a gameplan that covers their flaws and maximises their strengths)

Richmond just beat Sydney!?

True . If we’re not being limp in a few critical moments we win that game, we had the players ( 3 or 4 not real strong ) .
Melbourne did kick some ripper set shots to keep them in it but we didn’t put them away because of poor execution

You are better off not making a GF than losing one with the greatest margin ever.
It’s going to stand longer than any of us.
That's how I thought until the Essendon saga and then finding out it was obvious Geelong was a pre-cursor to that. That sudden outbreak of baldness, rapid size increase and endurance improvements, whilst 'questionable at best' figures were there, purely coincidence I'm sure. Now I'm just angry that the A/VFL ignores it (after all they tried to ignore the Essendon saga until a couple of the reporters forced ASADA/WADA to look closely enough it couldn't be) and we wear the aftermath of an obviously tainted flag for eternity.

Thought the Finn would’ve had the skill to kick a right foot snap .
Thought Mead could get the distance from 45
Thought Dixon could kick goals from 35-40 nearly straight in front .
Thought McEntee might have a sidestep when running in towards goal
Thought Lauchie could take simple marks
Thought Allir was actually a good mark
Thought Bergman would make a good winger .

Shows how wrong you can be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back