Game Day Round 21 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:30pm Saturday 03/08 #SP400

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep Weitering accountable and under control and I think our fwd line gets it down.
Cox, Cameron rotating in support of Mcstay, Billy, with quality smalls circulating and JDG pinch hitting gives their backline huge headaches.
Our Season high 20 I50 marks last week will not have gone innoticed by Voss.

Need to nullify 3 players, Curnow, Cripps and McKay. After that, they ain’t got much

It's a real shame we don't have Mihocek AND McStay because Weitering normally keeps Mihocek quiet. I fear that Weitering might keep McStay well held on Saturday night, so I'm hoping Cox can pull out an all time 2018 PF or 2020 EF performance!

As for the backline I thought it'd be 50/50 on Markov vs Parker, but after looking at our line up for when we last beat the Blues I'm not surprise we've opted to bring in Frampton.

As others have suggested we're legit just Checkers and Mitchell away from best 23. I know we have some out of form and some sore, but I'm expecting a strong performance.

I would park Degoey in the forward line. Our mids looked active, quicker and applied plenty of pressure last week so I wouldn't want that effort undone with a 50% Degoey who doesn't have a 2nd effort atm.

It's a real shame we don't have Mihocek AND McStay because Weitering normally keeps Mihocek quiet. I fear that Weitering might keep McStay well held on Saturday night, so I'm hoping Cox can pull out an all time 2018 PF or 2020 EF performance!

As for the backline I thought it'd be 50/50 on Markov vs Parker, but after looking at our line up for when we last beat the Blues I'm not surprise we've opted to bring in Frampton.

As others have suggested we're legit just Checkers and Mitchell away from best 23. I know we have some out of form and some sore, but I'm expecting a strong performance.
Have we flown Cox’s parents out again?

People forget with Frampton that he's just not a good player, never has been. Can look decent with a really strong team around him.
needs to be given specific instruction to start shoulder to shoulder with McKay (centre of ground) and just go step for step with him .. this is of course mostly only relevant on the slow plays i50 given our step-forward zone defence on quick defensive transition often results in mixed match-ups for our defence

also needs to be primed by downing 6 cans of coke as part of his pre-game

point is, Frampton's reaction time is often a step or two behind his direct opponent on the incoming ball

needs to be given specific instruction to start shoulder to shoulder with McKay (centre of ground) and just go step for step with him .. this is of course mostly only relevant on the slow plays i50 given our step-forward zone defence on quick defensive transition often results in mixed match-ups for our defence

also needs to be primed by downing 6 cans of coke as part of his pre-game

point is, Frampton's reaction time is often a step or two behind his direct opponent on the incoming ball
Frampton helped us win a premiership. Shut down Andrews.
A champ in my eyes to now.

I’d be happy to try Howe on curnow
Can at least go with him in the air

Moore onto McKay
Frampton plays defensive forward on wetering ..

Need to nullify 3 players, Curnow, Cripps and McKay. After that, they ain’t got much

I’d argue Cripps, Curnow and Weitering myself but potato potahto

But if we had to focus on just one it would be Cripps. He’s the driving force. Curtail him and the book ends suffer as a result

I’d argue Cripps, Curnow and Weitering myself but potato potahto

But if we had to focus on just one it would be Cripps. He’s the driving force. Curtail him and the book ends suffer as a result

I think we have the smalls to go around Weitering, obviously that matters on how we are entering our 50, but if there 2 key forwards get going, we could struggle to contain them, Cripps is a no brainer as their gun mid, would rotate Pendles and Crisp on him, start the qtr with Pendles, then Crisp to run off and expose him when fatigue sets in late in qtrs, not very defence minded is Cripps

Let’s be real.. whoever is on Curnow has no chance. Biggest battle is going to be how many free kicks they award against the player that is on him.

No matter who is on him, it’s going to be tough to compete with the support he gets.

Let’s moneyball this shit, Harrison needs to stay in the team and play on him as he averages lowest Frees Against per game in the team at 0.25. Dean would be next best option at 0.28 compared to Moore at 0.7 and Frampton at 0.87🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mostly happy with selection

Was always going to be interesting to see whether they actually selected De Goey or not

Would have been tough. Do they actually believe they can make finals? Then you risk further damage to his injury no? But I guess they feel even a 60-70% De Goey is enough to help get us over the line

But then if they realistically don’t think finals are on the menu then it makes more sense to let De Goey go all out and then put him on ice for the year

Fly and the team will pursue Finals until it’s mathematically impossible. We should expect nothing less, as reigning Premiers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Frampton helped us win a premiership. Shut down Andrews.
A champ in my eyes to now.
I agree FJ. Frampton is not a star AFL player, everyone realises that. But he can play very effective roles. We dont win the Premiership without him suffocating Harris Andrews for three quarters.

We want him just to do the mirror image on McKay. He's now the defender, who asphyxiates McKay.

That's all he has to do.

No complications. Just wear McKay like a glove, and be there to disrupt whatever play he wants to get into.

Thought maybe Dean would have come in, on the back of his great game last week in the VFL.

But I think Frampton is a wiser selection, because he understands precisely the role he must play.

Selection of JDG brings joy to the veins. I am sure this is simply because he is ready. He wants to celebrate Pendles'400th, and Wade &Co have given him the necessary fitness clearance.
He can go forward, while others rotate through the midfield, and provide extra unpredictable F50 magic
It is beautiful for Beau to be back. He is a tackling powerhouse, and can run through the middle at random times.
The addition of JDG and Beau vastly strengthens our midfield because:
a) both can occasionally run through there
b) they can release others to run through the midfield

If if if ...

• We had drafted Cripps
  • We kept Witts
  • Curnow received an average no. of frees

Would be a relaxing night...

Not surprised Long is still in after the way the Fly spoke about his role but he’s getting by on Tyler Brown like performances. I trust the club have a role in mind for him against Carlton though.

Frampton for Will Parker is a good change. As much as I liked the signs Parker showed last week losing a sub 10 possesions half back flanker isn’t making a difference in our rebounding. And not recalling the more like for like choice in Markov who similarly hasn’t provided as with the required run we’ve needed from defence in favour of key defender to play on Harry McKay is a good tactical choice.

Beau and De Goey pick themselves. Unfortunately Harrison has dropped off after starting the year pretty well and couldn’t establish himself. I’d have preferred Sullivan over Long as the extra mid but I’ll trust the club have made the right call here.

Frampton for Will Parker is a good change. As much as I liked the signs Parker showed last week losing a sub 10 possesions half back flanker isn’t making a difference in our rebounding. And not recalling the more like for like choice in Markov who similarly hasn’t provided as with the required run we’ve needed from defence in favour of key defender to play on Harry McKay is a good tactical choice.
I like what Parker brings, i thought he played well last week, but i wouldn't be putting him on a player like McKay. We need Frampton and we need him to perform.

Beau and De Goey pick themselves. Unfortunately Harrison has dropped off after starting the year pretty well and couldn’t establish himself. I’d have preferred Sullivan over Long as the extra mid but I’ll trust the club have made the right call here.
Harrison has played well this year, but he is still young and he's drop off isn't uncommon for a player his age, hopefully with another pre season will build up his fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back