Autopsy Round 21, 2021: St.Kilda v Sydney *PRIDE GAME* *COFFIELD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Another 3 votes for Jack Steele for the Brownlow, get on him.

Our forward line looked better with Sharman and Higgins, two clever players that know where the goals are, add them to King and we're in business.

Love beating the swans, revenge for the 2005 prelim and 2011 elim.

Huge love for McKenzie, found himself in some really tight spots, but managed to squeeze a kick out to a player in space. My mind is blown about how much he has come on this year. He just tucks it under his arm, sprinting and swurving, no f's given, respect.

I came into this game with minimal expectations … except for my reasonable expectation of effort - and I wasn’t disappointed.

Most of all I’m happy the kids showed something:

• Sharman was eye catching early and late. My favourite part was when Jason Dunstall said “that kick from Ross couldn’t have been more disadvantageous” and Sharman marked it anyway. Ended up with a couple and assisted another. He’ll be a player at this rate.
  • Higgins - I called that he would have a redemptive game against the Swans, absolutely great effort.
  • King, he is maturing every game, loved his physicality, kicked goals, smashed packs, what more could you want? I just hope he pulls up alright.
  • Highmore plenty of intercepts and led disposals at Qtr time!
  • Coffield seemed to play higher up at times, showed a lot of confidence and spunk, looked his 2020 self, a step in the right direction.
  • Connolly and Byrnes didn’t get much of it but I’m happy they’re getting the experience. Both had flashes of brilliance.
Other Notes (feel free to scroll on, I’ve done a sizeable write up):

• At first I was thinking that it felt like a game which would’ve been better suited Long then Kent, but Kent held is own. He shanked a shot at goal, but kicked two others. Edit: AFL website saying he kicked 3 but I thought he shanked one? Anyway point stands.
  • Marshall had the most disposals for a Qtr for a ruckman this season. And a career high 25 disposals for the game. Great effort.
  • Great to have Sincs back.
  • We covered the loss of Howard well. Joyce looked a little lost - although that’s fair enough given his level of AFL exposure, he had a great contest in the 4th and won the ball. Wilkie is an absolute leader, he stepped up and pocketed Buddy, that should get a lot of recognition. Talking about leaders, Membrey as well for that matter, loved that 3rd Qtr intercept and goal.
  • This mystery player [see figure 1] has been one of the greater redemption stories this year… love having his grit in the team.
  • Thought Hill did a lot of nice things
  • Steele with his usual impressiveness. Which I’m very very grateful for, should poll very well in the voting. What more needs to be said? He’s a gun.
  • This may be harsh, but it took me until the 4th Qtr to remember we were missing Billings. Make of that what you will…
  • Pressure was superb, that type of pressure is almost always the reason we get score on the board.
  • Turnovers were extremely costly, turned into many Sydney goals. Our accuracy was great though to make up for it. Something we have lacked this year. That being said, 4th Qtr we dropped off the accuracy big time.
  • Not sure what we have to do in the future to win a centre clearance but we struggled in that area and clearances in general.
  • We looked a bit tired by the last Qtr. Not a bad trade off for the pressure we brought but make some mistakes because of it. Couldn’t pile onto the Swans, but a win is a win. And that’s still a 4 Qtr performance.
  • The umps weren’t very kind to us tonight, but that’s probably my bias … and according to my bias they’re always anti-Saints 😉.
  • The last two games have been as classic as Saints footy gets 😂😂. We finally won a milestone game (Coffield) and an ‘event’ game, it being the pride game. That’ll do me.
TLDR:

A flawed but tough performance. I came to see the kids play, and I got that and more. I’ll be a happy Sainter tonight.

Figure 1.

2FE27A92-2CEA-4780-B449-A023649FCDEA.jpeg

Last edited:

We've legitimately found one with Sharman. Please, please let it not be a mirage. A quick, athletic forward that leads at the ball, has sticky hands and kicks it well.
For all the shit this season has dished up, we've picked up some late draft gems. I'm still astounded that highmore was ever dropped.

Pressure was in stark contrast to last week. Sharman fantastic, especially when King went off. Highmore/coff combo was nice. Wilkie stuck it up buddy, who was non existent.

Steele is a god. Had to laugh when Joey said "all Australian selectors may be considering him"....goose

Think he was trying to get a rise out of rooey haha

Higgins was enormous, Kenty, Sinclair, Steele is just insane every week, Highmore, Wilkie, Membrey, Sharman all good. Butler actually had pressure that caused turn over with a few mates helping out. Mc Kenzie is a warrior, he sets a tone that is hungry and combative.

King injured is huge worry. Sharman is looking amazing but it's a lot of responsibility to take on the whole key forward role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't miss Billings

Like to mention some youngen's

Sharman, looks like a footballer, knows how to lead, and can kick a goal. Did I hear he played SANFL. If so we have done well with Wilkie, Highmore and not Sharman.

Byrnes, bit of a down night, a few mistakes but still put in and had some telling touches
Connelly, quiet but has confidence of youth and I love his run and carry.
Highmore, not young but by god he is a find.
Bytel contributed well in the 4th.

Liked how Dunstan picked it up in the 4th qtr.
Steele is an absolute beast.
Higgins 4.1, say no more.

We miss Gresh's dash, we are too slow with Crouch, Steele and Dunstan and Sydney's mids belted us.

Hope King is ok but who needs him with Sharman up there

Isaac Heeney Stars In:

The Invisible Man

Callum Wilkie gave up 3 inches, 20 kg and over 250 games experience to his opponent, but still kept the best forward of this millennium to 5 touches. Incredible.

We've legitimately found one with Sharman. Please, please let it not be a mirage. A quick, athletic forward that leads at the ball, has sticky hands and kicks it well.
For all the sh*t this season has dished up, we've picked up some late draft gems. I'm still astounded that highmore was ever dropped.

Yep we found a heap of players through injury.

I’ll be honest. I’m rapt about the win but just because losing sucks and winning is much better.

hopefully we play Geelong and Freo in non prime time. No crowd down at inbred park - I give us an outside chance.

but honestly finals or not I’m just super delighted to see us playing great four quarter footy. Delightful to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2021: St.Kilda v Sydney *PRIDE GAME* *COFFIELD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back