Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we all agree keeping Boak on the list is nuts? Him wanting to play on is purely selfish.
He's been the victim of some terrible passing by team mates. Number of times he was open and the pass to him hit turf and took away the advantage he worked hard to gain.

He's had a rough few weeks, but I'm not writing him off.

Murphy flopped with embarrassing ease to milk a free after being swatted like an annoying mozzie by Rioli. And got straight back up.

Will get a couple of weeks because that's the way it rolls these days but jeez Murphy is going to have to live with the flopper tag after that.

And if it was 'off the ball' as the commentators said why wasn't Murphy pinged for holding Rioli's jumper and pushing him front on in the first place?

The narrative around this is BS.
I thought it was classic by Rioli. Treated Murphy like the bitch he is.

How good is JHF. Farrell marked it cleanly, but should have turned his body to make sure Sidebottom couldn't knock it out. Too casual. Watch it at slow speed.

Agree that it should be a mark but also agree that Farrell is too soft here. He wouldn't have kicked it even if it was called, you can tell with his lack of intensity here.

That was a great game of football, worthy of a grand final. Craig Macare said it was the best game he has been involved in during the past 2 years.

We lost by 2 points to the clear number 1 side in the competition with an extraordinary kick from the boundary from a questionable mark. As Macrae said, it was a result that came down to moments in a game.

Am I shattered at losing, of course. But we have to take the good things out of that game, work on what we can do better and keep pushing on to get the highest ladder position we can.

Bergman came back into some form.

I liked most of what Lachie did, he seems very confident in his body now, speed, power and that leap, wow!

Willie Rioli, welcome back. Super small forward game.

Willem Drew, 16 tackles and limited Daicos's influence, plus had an attacking game that made him a threat.

Rozee, Butters and Houston just look so good

Burton looked more like the reliable attacking defender that he can be

Peps was a force of nature again

JHF is a unique talent. He's going to be so important in coming years as he builds fitness and experience. Another competitive beast and exceptional talent.

Last edited:
That was a great game of football, worthy of a grand final. Craig Macare said it was the best game he has been involved in during the past 2 years.

We lost by 2 points to the clear number 1 side in the competition with an extraordinary kick from the boundary from a questionable mark. As Macrae said, it was a result that came down to moments in a game.

Am I shattered at losing, of course. But we have to take the good things out of that game, work on the what we can do better and keep pushing on to get the highest ladder position we can.

Bergman came back into some form.

I liked most of what Lachie did, he seems very confident in his body now

Willie Rioli, welcome back. Super small forward game.

Willem Drew, 16 tackles and limited Daicos's influence

Rozee, Butters and Houston just look so good

Burton looked more like the reliable attacking defender that he can be

Peps was a force of nature again
Pretty hard to stay positive when we keep screwing up these season defining games. At least it didn't occur in a final and we live to see another week. Finals is a big concern now as we fail when the high pressure moment is there to be won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wines is our biggest problem. He can only get more useless on a dry day and at the MCG.

He and Boak are a reminder of our piss blasting past. But at least Boak has the tank to run all day, and sometimes uses his experience to think through situations. Wines offers zero and the coaches won't dare drop him.

You do realise that not everyone can get 25+d etc.

Who exactly are you replacing them with?

Both still have roles to play this season - there is nobody as good as then waiting.

Take off your Port centric glasses. They were as wobbly as us on many occasions. It was a high pressure game. Their top line players were making plenty of panicky handballs and field kicks on perceived pressure which we benefited from.
The big difference in the end was they came out after 3 qtr time and it was as if they had one goal of absolutely winning the first clearance. They grew in confidence from there and their set shot goal kicking reflected that. They literally kicked them from everywhere. It was their class players that delivered big time on the goal kicking front.
Of course we had home ground advantage and should’ve made the most of it.
As an aside, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a minor round game like that umpired like it was a GF. So many 50/50 decisions not called.

Both still have roles to play this season - there is nobody as good as then waiting.

Yeah. It's weird how people can't see the link between the emergence of Rozee and Butters as regular 30+ disposal winners (plus the increasing prominence of Drew and the addition of JHF) and Wines and Boak becoming much less influential role players. There's only so many possessions to go around in a game of football.

I reckon it showed we can beat them .
Fast And Furious Dude GIF by The Fast Saga

Tonight pretty much come down to execution under pressure.
Kick some of those “easier” goals and get rid of some of the mistakes and we win.
The issue is that this is a constant thing.
All too often we choke under pressure and it’s stupid stuff like deliberate out of bounds or horrible tackles.
Not going to ping individuals too much as to me it’s almost a systemic thing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah. It's weird how people can't see the link between the emergence of Rozee and Butters as regular 30+ disposal winners (plus the increasing prominence of Drew and the addition of JHF) and Wines and Boak becoming much less influential role players. There's only so many possessions to go around in a game of football.

lol, what disingenous shite. We all know posession count is not the problem.

If anything, hiding away as the 5th and 6th mids has worked in their favour, because most people have forgot how useless they are until we started losing.

Last year Wines averaged 71% centre bounce attendances and Boak averaged 61%. Rozee averaged 50% and Butters 38%. JHF obviously didn't attend one for us.

This year Wines averages 54% and Boak averages 19%. Rozee 69%, JHF 58%, Butters 57%.

What’s the difference here….

I haven't bought into anything else I've seen about the umpiring tonight. The high tackle on Daicos was there, the deliberate was blatant, and Elliott marked the ball inside the line.

This, though? Hmm ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19, 2023 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back