Review Round 16 = Gold Coast 101-90 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Fly's presser

Where do you think you lost the game? It was seesawing in the last quarter.
"Yeah, the weight of numbers inside 50 were huge. Their [Gold Coast] contested possession and their ability to get the ball forward was really the cost in the end, particularly in the second and third quarters. We sort of got stuck in our back 50 a bit more than we wanted to, through losing contest. Not so much clearance, but just being outnumbered around the ball".
You hit the lead late and you've been so good in those situations, what was the difference today?
"I just said to the players like we just love that when you put that jumper on, you play right until the end. Anyone that's watched us in the last couple of years knows we're coming, but you've still got to still do all that all the time. We're really proud of that part of our culture or the way we want to play. We want to continue to celebrate that, but we don't want to be in these positions. How many times do you want to put yourself in a position where you'll have to do this miraculous comeback? So they're the things we'll wrestle with. Grow that part of our game, and why we're in this position and also celebrate the other part".
It felt quite frantic late on, do you think it was because of the fatigue or was it the team that could settle and go forward with some method would end up scoring?
"We were hoping the game was going to be like that right from the start. We scouted the Gold Coast and how that game was played. Got huge respect for Dimma. They're a maturing team. I just thought they did so many things they hadn't been doing in previous seasons around doing the right things at the right time. They just looked really well drilled and they imposed that on us tonight".
What do you take from that going forward in terms of avoiding these close games? What do you want to learn from that?
"We've lived in it for the last two and a half years. Some circumstances are a bit different to this one. There's a bit of a pattern in the last couple of games. There's been such a big margin at three quarter time. It's pretty obvious. If you look at the intent in the last quarter and the pressure and those things are really obvious, so why are we not delivering that in the second quarter. You wrestle with this stuff. I know the paint is still wet on this game and I've yet to see any replay(s), but that's the emotion at the minute".
Beau McCreery came off with a leg injury. Can you give us an insight on his injury?
"Beau's got some form of strained calf, so I'm not sure if it's a kick or strain but we'll work through that. You would think he's unlikely".
What did you make of the performances of the returning players, namely De Goey, Pendlebury and Mihocek?
"We've had pieces of our jigsaw puzzle playing in different parts. Have you ever done the jigsaw puzzle? The corners don't go in the middle, so we've been having a few of those going on and so it's good to have some of our corners back. Then other parts of our jigsaw puzzle could just then be what it's normally meant to be. I think Pendles set us up really well. I thought Jordy imposed himself on the game. That last goal was significant and he's a beast of a player and hard to tackle".
Having those "scattered puzzle pieces" as you put it, how challenging it as a coach to put in your best effort when you're dealing with that?
"We've had that for probably a better part of six weeks. We've found ways to kick enough goals. We had another 10 goal kickers today. Funnily enough to get back in the game we've had to move them around again. Howie forward is a bit of work for us, it's worked before and worked again a little bit tonight. Nick [Daicos] to other roles. Again I comeback to sort of let's get ourselves in positions where we don't need to do these things, so be a bit more settled. The flexibility is nice".
You sound quite frustrated. Is it because it's raw or has it been bubbling away for a while and it's repeated again?
"Natural emotions 20 minutes after a game. None of us love to sit here and not get the job done. That's not what we're paid to do. For most of the night, 68 inside 50s is a lot to give up so we're going to struggle to win any game with that amount of ball in the opposition half. There's a natural emotion of 'come on, let's get busy'".

Fly's presser

Where do you think you lost the game? It was seesawing in the last quarter.

You hit the lead late and you've been so good in those situations, what was the difference today?

It felt quite frantic late on, do you think it was because of the fatigue or was it the team that could settle and go forward with some method would end up scoring?

What do you take from that going forward in terms of avoiding these close games? What do you want to learn from that?

Beau McCreery came off with a leg injury. Can you give us an insight on his injury?

What did you make of the performances of the returning players, namely De Goey, Pendlebury and Mihocek?

Having those "scattered puzzle pieces" as you put it, how challenging it as a coach to put in your best effort when you're dealing with that?

You sound quite frustrated. Is it because it's raw or has it been bubbling away for a while and it's repeated again?

I like that he is recognising that these comebacks and close wins are not a good thing or position to constantly be in.

Even if as a supporter there is an amazing ride watching your team come from behind and win its not A-typical of a top side to do it weekly.

I think Cameron is missing Cox pretty badly to be honest.We always seem to play better with two rucks rather than one,and just having Cameron in the ruck really let Witts get on top.
I don't know when the penny will drop. So many supporters still don't rate Cox and view him as on the cusp of our best 23 when I see him as indispensable.

His height and leap would have been invaluable against Witts today

I don't know when the penny will drop. So many supporters still don't rate Cox and view him as on the cusp of our best 23 when I see him as indispensable.

Cox best footy has come as first ruck. Imo had he rucked tonight we win. Cameron as 2nd ruck.

Not a as a forward. But I'd be horses for courses with them depending opposition.

Think Cameron has had a great year overall, but he does struggle vs uber talls like a Witts in contesting CB.
Another thing no one calls him out over is his propensity to blind kick it rather then handball to a mid (read ND) running past. Often it lands directly in a opponents hands.
Really wish coaching staff would drill him in handball and "first option".

I like that he is recognising that these comebacks and close wins are not a good thing or position to constantly be in.

Even if as a supporter there is an amazing ride watching your team come from behind and win its not A-typical of a top side to do it weekly.
Hate to say it but this was obvious a year ago. 2022 we fell on the wrong side, 2023 on the right side.

It's great that we play to the end of the game and come back or start strong and hold on.

How about playing for a whole game?

100% this. We aren’t premiers without Cox. He is invaluable in games like this where Cameron struggles HARD against the opposition ruck, just like he did in the GF. Our midfield is simply not good enough to just play off the opposition’s ruckman as many suggest. Like most his peers we just need to hope Cox can find some form heading into the finals.

We always knew it was going to be very different compared to 12 months ago with GC unbeatable at home and under a new coach. Started slowly again but fell short despite a fightback at the Suntress.

Most importantly we have got back De Goey and Checkers as well as Pendles

I was talking about ladder positions, not betting odds.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So you think ladder position determines favoritism? That’s just as flawed as betting odds being the determinant, especially this season. Favoritism is just an opinion, not a guarantee.

I think Cameron is missing Cox pretty badly to be honest.We always seem to play better with two rucks rather than one,and just having Cameron in the ruck really let Witts get on top.
Cox going down has almost dismantled our season.

Our structure has been so off without him. No one can replace that size.

We’ve become so reliant on this set up.

We struggled last year when he was out but Frampton was able to be spared as a ruck. We still had Murph.

Murphy has been a massive loss to this team. We’re not that same stingy back line without him.

Moore gets shown up behind his man far too often.

Yeah, he didn’t, but he certainly frothed over it. I was a fan before his covid dictatorship.
Has an aunty pass away in palliative care where her children were not allowed to see her in her dying days even in a hazchem suit. Absolute prick of a man. Can’t believe he has any supporters left but jmac is a special individual

Big month or so coming up, with games against Bombers, Cats, Blues and Swans.

On tonight’s form, we’re underdogs in all of those.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We seem to play better as underdogs. Thought we were no chance against the Dees with half the side out and was one of our better performances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the game
Apart from last quarter the loss put a slight dampener on a fantastic weekend

Big footy family unfortunately it's just not the pies season...everything needs to go right to win a flag let alone back to back.

Too many injuries to key players also this habit of giving teams a start finally bit us on the ass.

I was disappointed before the game richards was sub however a young player coming back from injury I could see the logic.

Didn't realise noble was off and we were 2 players down in the last.

De goey and both daicos boys unbelievable

Frampton and Moore frustrated me.

We need Elliott back.!
Harrison and Sullivan due for a rest.

Would like to see reef played every game from here on in.

Krueger looks past his injury woes which is great (sign him up for 2025)

Losing mccreery early was a shame thought he looked good on the wing.

Bobby Hill a star but sometimes less flashy is more effective (bloke is like a cat on his feet)

Think we end up between 5th and 8th.

The 0-3 start really made us catch our tails all year

I hope we somehow make top 4 and beat those blue flogs.

I cannot handle their supporters and just want to see them in pain

Back to cold Melbourne and unsalted nuts

Go pies

Clearly I do disagree and posted WHY.

Making it up is laughable. Use the search button after games in HnA back half of last year.

Also I'm not the first poster to post about Moores " lack of form" for the last 12 to 18 months...if he was as rolled gold AA as you say then this would not be a discussion..btw I replied in response to you having a crack at another poster about Moores form...

We are all pies supporters and all want our players to perform. If he'd been his best self no one would say boo.
You are the deluded one living off past deeds and team performance for him obvs or just don't like "star" players criticised.
Mate didn’t you realise that every goal is a quick turn over from us and our defence is out of position?
You gotta understand our defence set up, I wish I did, please someone tell me how we set up.

It’s mind boggling how she can’t see how putrid he’s been for a long time now, attacks everyone last game saying Larkey didn’t kick any goals on him in the first quarter, so I go back and watch a little bit of the replay, first north Melbourne goal is from a centre bounce and larkey marks on a lead from a kick from Wardlaw, I’ll give you one guess who is 2 meters behind him.
It’s blind love and he can’t do nothing wrong.

Really shouldn’t be losing to a team like GC

Why not?

They’ve had a kazillion first round picks and are now being coached by a three time Premiership coach.

It’s scary what our current coaching panel could do if they had access to a list like that.

De Goey was pretty good…

I thought Hill was decent as well. He wasn’t always able to pull off what he was trying to do, but his effort was clearly there.

Don't know how Markov escapes so much attention.

He's in the team for his rebound and he went on 2 runs last night, both of which he ended up kicking straight to a GC player.

He's in the team for his rebound and he went on 2 runs last night, both of which he ended up kicking straight to a GC player.
Markov was great last year. Somehow playing footy well above his usual level. It helps too when the rest of the team is better around you. It’s flattered him really.

That was not him though. What we’re getting now is what he can probably offer. He’s a fringe player at best.

He’s having a shocking year.

Desperately need to try someone else in that role. I’ve mentioned Reef a couple of times as an option, based on speed/height combo - we don’t have anything to lose based on the form of Markov.

He’s having a shocking year.

Desperately need to try someone else in that role. I’ve mentioned Reef a couple of times as an option, based on speed/height combo - we don’t have anything to lose based on the form of Markov.
Was shocked he was named on his form this year.

Reef forward and WHE in the Markov role would have been better IMO

What really annoyed me, the kick outs in the last quarter at the end. Into the corridor that was absolutely flooded. Why did we keep doing that!! When it didn’t work the first time, shouldn’t have tried it again.

Biggest issue, and fly also alluded to this I think, Gold Coast had more numbers at every contest.

Against North we were flat and lethargic. Nick was sick so I assumed a bit of illness was around the club.

This week was the same. Flat. Lethargic. Not running hard.

Won’t win many more games if we continue this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back