Review Round 16, 2024 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit the same, as much as I want Ken out, I can never want to see us lose a game.

I do really want him to leave as soon as possible for a couple of reasons. One is that, the sooner he leaves we get to see a bit of Josh taking the reins before they can just slot him straight into the chair. I also worry that the later Ken is announced as leaving the less time we have to organise a proper external search for his replacement, and I'm also hoping that if Ken goes pretty soon then we may see the back of a few more as soon as the season ends.

I'm also a bit over all the personal attacks on Ken, I think I'm probably a bit 'old school'. I'm certainly not a fan, but I figure we have all the ammunition we need just by focusing on the quality of his coaching without resorting to some of the other stuff.

I don’t know if it’s fair on Carr getting thrown to the wolves as an interim coach personally. Especially considering the rest of the coaching panel seems to lack depth and quality. It would basically just be Carr, Cornes and Goldsack.

Will be reminiscent of primus getting thrown to the wolves with a football program running off the smell of an oily rag.

If Carr is the man, I think it would be better for him to start fresh next year with a new coaching panel and time to develop his own game plan.

I’m just struggling to see the positives of sacking Ken now as opposed to the end of the year. Especially considering the season is still live.

There's the positive. We don't win finals or any other high pressure games under Ken. We might under Carr. We might as well try it

Josh Carr is probably already doing most of the coaching already. Just feel like most interim coaches are tainted.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought that the game and the result was just perfect! As much as I want Hinkley out, I cant ever wish Port to lose - It's just not in my DNA. But then I didnt want them to trounce St Kilda, and have Ken beat his chest, and the likes of Kornes gloating.

So, yes, it was the perfect game! Port won - Tick. Port played terribly, kicking was awful, Hinkleyball was a failure again, and the pressure has clearly got to Hinkley - Tick.

Some observations:
Pleasantly surprised with Narkle today. Worked hard with & without the ball, and did some really good stuff.
Evans continued on from last week, and looked calm & confident.
Ok debut for Lorenz. Loved the calm, pin-point kick down the corridor ... I cheered that
Sinn looks to be getting his mojo back after the injury. Nice. Just keep playing him!
Loved Mead around the contest & stoppages ... played like a rabid ferret! Oppo players struggled to lay a hand on him
Some of Sweet's taps just sublime.
Good to see BZT and Aliir bounce back from last week.
Obviously, guys like Butters & JHF were special

The rest ... meh!

Yeah, very distinct lack of any forward craft at the moment.

No one is crumbing, no one is roving packs. It's just a stagnant puddle

Yep, when the ball hits the ground in our forward line we have nothing. We either need a mark or a ping from around 50 on the run.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would Georgiades have kicked a goal if that last shot on goal was needed to win the game and save Hinkley's neck?

It was an atrocious set shot kick.

But at least he took his full 30 seconds and killed the clock.

I don’t know if it’s fair on Carr getting thrown to the wolves as an interim coach personally. Especially considering the rest of the coaching panel seems to lack depth and quality. It would basically just be Carr, Cornes and Goldsack.

Will be reminiscent of primus getting thrown to the wolves with a football program running off the smell of an oily rag.

If Carr is the man, I think it would be better for him to start fresh next year with a new coaching panel and time to develop his own game plan.

I’m just struggling to see the positives of sacking Ken now as opposed to the end of the year. Especially considering the season is still live.
That's a good point about Josh getting thrown to the wolves, because whether it's Josh or someone else that takes over, we definitely need an entirely new coaching panel to work with them. I guess the other thing is that if Ken is left to coach out the season we will all worry the entire time that he's still going to be here next year.

Not sure if my ears were deceiving me, but did I actually hear Hinkley say (referring to his players) in his press conference, "They were great today"? We barely fell over the line in one of the worst games of the year.

I was at the mcg in those gameS when we were being destroyed by 30 goals

I truly enjoyed the game and loved this club MORE then, than I do now
I was at AAMI Stadium in 2011 when a Collingwood defender rushed a behind to double our score: it became 86-2. But I was happy to be there to support the boys in such a tough time.

This is infinitely worse than 2011.

I'm a bit the same, as much as I want Ken out, I can never want to see us lose a game.

I do really want him to leave as soon as possible for a couple of reasons. One is that, the sooner he leaves we get to see a bit of Josh taking the reins before they can just slot him straight into the chair. I also worry that the later Ken is announced as leaving the less time we have to organise a proper external search for his replacement, and I'm also hoping that if Ken goes pretty soon then we may see the back of a few more as soon as the season ends.

I'm also a bit over all the personal attacks on Ken, I think I'm probably a bit 'old school'. I'm certainly not a fan, but I figure we have all the ammunition we need just by focusing on the quality of his coaching without resorting to some of the other stuff.
Surely as a minimum for a coach operating in elite level sport he should make sense when he's interviewed. After all he is representing our club & is paid a very high wage. I've been critical of this weakness for a long time because I'm sick of listening to the dribble that comes out of his mouth. I'm embarrassed that he represents our club.

Not sure if my ears were deceiving me, but did I actually hear Hinkley say (referring to his players) in his press conference, "They were great today"? We barely fell over the line in one of the worst games of the year.
Well at least he didn't throw them under the bus like he does when we lose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post I agree entirely.

Would Georgiades have kicked a goal if that last shot on goal was needed to win the game and save Hinkley's neck?

I think he was more concerned about taking time than actually kicking the goal.
Was more of a thank fk we won kick.

4 goals, 9 behinds, 4 no scores from 17 set shots this week.

This week is not much different to previous weeks and therein lies one of the many failings in the current Coaching regime. We never improve!!!! The point has been made that this week we played in a covered stadium with no wind and there are no excuses.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I thought Rozee's comment re the players supporting kern while he was (still?) the coach sounded promising.

As for the crocodile tears after the game you just know kok is going to try and make a huge plus out of that.

Has Rozee checked out somewhat?

I asked myself the same question and the answer is no. As I have posted before Mitch is the worse kick at goal I have seen in over 60 years of following Port. His problem is mental and that showed in that particular kick.

Maybe I am giving Hinkley too much credit but I think he got one thing right in that Mitch seemed to be playing further up the field and took several important marks around the wing. This may be a good move as it gets him away from goals. I can remember Matthew Richardson playing a similar role at Richmond.

Todd Marshall has to be dropped too.

I do not think Todd is in a good place atm. I think he has lost confidence and maybe last season's run in with multiple concussions has affected him? Todd may also be carrying an injury and I think he needs to take some time out to get himself physically and mentally right.

The problem is Ollie Lord has been too quiet and must also be facing the drop. We are not well served by our key forwards atm.

As for the question posed by another poster, Finlayson bought a 50 metre goal to the table. That was the last goal we managed and if he had not kicked it we would not have won.

I do not think Todd is in a good place atm. I think he has lost confidence and maybe last season's run in with multiple concussions has affected him? Todd may also be carrying an injury and I think he needs to take some time out to get himself physically and mentally right.

The problem is Ollie Lord has been too quiet and must also be facing the drop. We are not well served by our key forwards atm.

As for the question posed by another poster, Finlayson bought a 50 metre goal to the table. That was the last goal we managed and if he had not kicked it we would not have won.

The only difference with our forward 50 compared to Ross’s shite is that we have actual cattle. We just have a terrible forward entry craft, which is why Marshall and Lord suffer, as well as the long term focus of Dixon.

This will all improve I hope when Ken isn’t here.

I don’t think Finlaysons goal won us that game, I reckon it was all the ones St Kilda missed from not far out - they were shocking.

I like how the coaches prioritised having Zak Butters on the bench for the end of the game so they could manufacture the Kenny cuddle shot at the final siren.

I asked myself the same question and the answer is no. As I have posted before Mitch is the worse kick at goal I have seen in over 60 years of following Port. His problem is mental and that showed in that particular kick.

Maybe I am giving Hinkley too much credit but I think he got one thing right in that Mitch seemed to be playing further up the field and took several important marks around the wing. This may be a good move as it gets him away from goals. I can remember Matthew Richardson playing a similar role at Richmond.
Butcher was light years worse.

Yesterday's `win' over the aints was beyond ordinary, norf could have beaten either team by at least 5 goals, and if Port play that badly in the next Showdown it will unfortunately almost certainly result in another smashing in favour of the tingles!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back