Game Day Round 15 - Fremantle @ Optus Stadium - 23rd June 2024 - 4:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Like every away game this year, it’s all between the ears. Whomever our sports psych is, they should be feeling the heat big time.

Flanders and Sexton don't work as half backs, it's been fun but it's time for Dimma to swallow his pride and acknowledge it doesn't work. I'm worried that won't happen though, he is extremely stubborn.
Flanders into the mid-forward role, Powell back, Humphrey to get more mid time, Rosas back.
Sexton, Fiorini, Moyle out.
Rosas, Powell, Witts in
Id love for Walter to go back to the 2s and get some form, and Holman needs to go but we don't have anyone punching down the door.

Fiorini got rightly subbed out last game, and has fallen in the proverbial hole.

I thought it would be Powell for Fiorini on the wing?

You would hope that Wil has had a mini pre-season and should be fit enough to run, run, run.
Thinking the same thing, Powell on the wing

Thinking the same thing, Powell on the wing
Powell replacing Fiorini on wing is the only move really screaming out. If King plays, I'd keep the side as settled as possible. Sexton (hate to say it) deserves to stay for at least one more game or until he stuffs it up and gone for good. Been better than expected at HB. I'd certainly hold Jeffery, Uwland etc over him. Holman has to be one last chance to perform for more than an occasional pop up or hard tackle. Persevere with the youth = Walter, Graham etc. Rosas in for Holman now that I think of it...and we have a pretty good side. Not quite there yet - but definitely on the build. MUST finish 9 or 10 to give confidence leading in to 2015. Less than that would make for an underwhelminh season.

Powell replacing Fiorini on wing is the only move really screaming out. If King plays, I'd keep the side as settled as possible. Sexton (hate to say it) deserves to stay for at least one more game or until he stuffs it up and gone for good. Been better than expected at HB. I'd certainly hold Jeffery, Uwland etc over him. Holman has to be one last chance to perform for more than an occasional pop up or hard tackle. Persevere with the youth = Walter, Graham etc. Rosas in for Holman now that I think of it...and we have a pretty good side. Not quite there yet - but definitely on the build. MUST finish 9 or 10 to give confidence leading in to 2015. Less than that would make for an underwhelminh season.
I'd definitely start Dave Swallow over Holman.He gives as much pressure and can go through the middle

Hopefully king gets up
Humper to sub and Spitta to start. Humper has really shown in 2 sub outings (Freo last year and norf in Darwin) that he can really shake up games off the bench.
Homan out and Rosa's in
Fiorini out and Powell in.
I really think Jed needs a couple weeks to dominate the VFL and get some confidence. If king doesn't get up though, would keep him in the team.
Casboult and Day have been in fine touch in the VFL but would never have both in the same team.
That's all for now but expecting a few changes after that saints loss

Yeah, Holman has to go. 3 tackles a game on average for only 6 goals for the year so far is pretty weak.

He is below average in almost every metric, and only a bit above average in tackles. For perspective, he averages the same (actually slightly less) tackles a game than Chol does.

He currently offers nothing up the ground. Nothing at ground level. Nothing in the air. Nothing on the scoreboard.

Swallow has more goals (and averages half the tackles) in, at best, a third of the game time as sub most weeks.

We have to stop carrying C graders every week who have no scope to improve. And if I had to choose, Swallow is the better player for the same role.

That leaves Rosas and Powell to come in. Team is pretty set. Just a few tweaks could give us an extra 2 goals a game, meaning we win a few more matches.

Yeah, Holman has to go. 3 tackles a game on average for only 6 goals for the year so far is pretty weak.

He is below average in almost every metric, and only a bit above average in tackles. For perspective, he averages the same (actually slightly less) tackles a game than Chol does.

He currently offers nothing up the ground. Nothing at ground level. Nothing in the air. Nothing on the scoreboard.

Swallow has more goals (and averages half the tackles) in, at best, a third of the game time as sub most weeks.

We have to stop carrying C graders every week who have no scope to improve. And if I had to choose, Swallow is the better player for the same role.

That leaves Rosas and Powell to come in. Team is pretty set. Just a few tweaks could give us an extra 2 goals a game, meaning we win a few more matches.

Holman & Berry both rarely kick goals. Definitely costs us games.

IMG_3934.jpeg
IMG_3935.jpeg
IMG_3936.jpeg

Holman & Berry both rarely kick goals. Definitely costs us games.

View attachment 2023451
View attachment 2023452
View attachment 2023454
Yeah that’s fair. To the eye test, Berry seems a better player. Faster and gets more of the ball. But 3 goals is just absolutely dreadful for an AFL level forward who plays every game.

Really, having two small forward players combining for 9 goals in 13 game is unacceptable.

Anderson has kicked more goals than both of them combined… Rosas has missed most of the year and kicked 8. Swallow is the sub most weeks and has kicked 7. Long has kicked 12 from 7 games (and still gets 3 tackles a game). Clohesy, a first year winger, has kicked 6.

Seriously, we can’t carry two small forwards who aren’t goal threats.

Yeah that’s fair. To the eye test, Berry seems a better player. Faster and gets more of the ball. But 3 goals is just absolutely dreadful for an AFL level forward who plays every game.

Really, having two small forward players combining for 9 goals in 13 game is unacceptable.

Anderson has kicked more goals than both of them combined… Rosas has missed most of the year and kicked 8. Swallow is the sub most weeks and has kicked 7. Long has kicked 12 from 7 games (and still gets 3 tackles a game). Clohesy, a first year winger, has kicked 6.

Seriously, we can’t carry two small forwards who aren’t goal threats.
Question is do they play roles Dimma wants them to play. Stats mean nothing in Dimma's system.

Question is do they play roles Dimma wants them to play. Stats mean nothing in Dimma's system.
Fair enough. And they might be.

But it might also be worth swapping one out to see if they can fit the system and hit the scoreboard (E.g Long).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who have our best performers been and who needs a week in the 2's?

Are we capable of the post-bye bump that teams like the Giants and Carlton did last year? Logic says we are just a little too young to really bounce up this year but a small bounce could still get us to finals, as we went into the buy with a positive record. The most realistic spot for us is somewhere from 8th-11th. We need just 6 wins from 10 games. It’s doable but we will probably only be favourites in three of those games against the Eagles, Tigers and Roos. If we can win those and then maintain a strong home record with wins against three of the Magpies, Power, Lions and Demons then we’re in. Otherwise we have to snatch a big away win or 2 like the Dockers in Perth this week. Bring it on!

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/06/18/so-how-are-the-suns-looking-at-the-halfway-point/

Who have our best performers been and who needs a week in the 2's?

Are we capable of the post-bye bump that teams like the Giants and Carlton did last year? Logic says we are just a little too young to really bounce up this year but a small bounce could still get us to finals, as we went into the buy with a positive record. The most realistic spot for us is somewhere from 8th-11th. We need just 6 wins from 10 games. It’s doable but we will probably only be favourites in three of those games against the Eagles, Tigers and Roos. If we can win those and then maintain a strong home record with wins against three of the Magpies, Power, Lions and Demons then we’re in. Otherwise we have to snatch a big away win or 2 like the Dockers in Perth this week. Bring it on!

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/06/18/so-how-are-the-suns-looking-at-the-halfway-point/
So do we keep playing young and get games under there belt for 2025 or do we bring in some old campaigners to carry some load who might be delisted end of 2024

So do we keep playing young and get games under there belt for 2025 or do we bring in some old campaigners to carry some load who might be delisted end of 2024

Win enough games to play finals….

Ill put up with the old campaigners, we all want to make finals. Can’t keep delaying it by a year every year

The SUNS will regain co-captain Jarrod Witts and running defender Wil Powell for Sunday's match against Fremantle at Optus Stadium, with Hardwick saying one more forgotten man is not far away.

"We've got this other guy that's going to catch everyone by surprise called Lachie Weller that's going to be available in the not-too-distant future as well," Hardwick said on Thursday morning.

"When you bring A-graders back into your footy club, it's always a good sign."

Weller is expected to be available for selection in the next month as he continues to overcome a second ruptured ACL.

Of more immediate impact for the SUNS is the availability of Witts and Powell.

Gold Coast's co-captain missed the pre-bye loss to St Kilda with a hamstring injury, while Powell has now served a five-match suspension for a homophobic slur.

"He's learned some lessons … and went through some good education," Hardwick said.

"He's a player that we've missed. He's very good at all facets of the game. I can't wait to see him play on the weekend."

Ben King is a chance to play, but Hardwick says the club will take no chances with the spearhead after he suffered a knee injury at training last weekend.

Gold Coast is 10th with a 7-6 record and can leapfrog the Dockers with a win on Sunday.

Hardwick said following their mid-season bye, he expected the SUNS to play their best football in the back half of the season.

Who misses out for Powell? Jeffrey?

Who misses out for Powell? Jeffrey?
Common, Jeffrey played really well. Powell could slot on the wing replacing Fiorini but I tip Sexton goes out.

I would like Flanders move out of defence but not going to happen.

Common, Jeffrey played really well. Powell could slot on the wing replacing Fiorini but I tip Sexton goes out.

I would like Flanders move out of defence but not going to happen.
Yeah, whomever would be stiff.
Could be sexton. He's the other I thought about

Fiorini the most likely target based on form, but not the same position. Powell or Sexton can play wing I guess.

If it has to be a defender, Sexton. He offers run but he isn’t the best user. But I’d rather keep him as a bench player, since he is versatile in game (defence, wing or forward) should we need it. Makes a decent enough sub option though.

Really, most players dropped are a bit stiff. Expect that with a clean health sheet though.

Would love to see Jed Walter 'tag/do a defensive job' on Luke Ryan. Jed's greatest strength is his defensive acts so would love to see him harassing Ryan and limit his intercepting game. I think it would help solidify his role in the team and help us get the w.

I feel like the pressure is off for some reason, most are expecting us to lose and continue our poor away form so i hope an upset is on the card. Freo will be hard and contested but for sure we can match them in that area, should be a ripper game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back