Preview Round 15: Essendon Bombers vs West Coast Eagles - Marvel Stadium - Sunday 23rd June - 1:00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a stinker, but after two losses it shouldn’t just be him in the firing line.

We’re playing 3 of the past 19 players we’ve drafted. Not giving some of these kids a chance is going to really hurt us long term, especially coming off the back of a couple of losses with some older guys out of form
How many of the past 19 are still on the list, fit to play or ready for AFL?
hoping that caddy's actually in the side.

will be an interesting one
Who would come out for him? Maybe there's a question mark over Jones or Wright fitness wise?

Who would come out for him? Maybe there's a question mark over Jones or Wright fitness wise?
probably form wise - we lost last game, there's an excuse to drop players.

dunno who, though

Caddy, Hayes, Archie, Davey, Tsatas, Hobbs.

Especially after consecutive losses, they should be given a shot

You say consecutive losses as if we didn't dominate territory and lose to a side who hasn't lost at home and a premiership contender who is currently sitting second. Kick straight both times and we probably win.

We're currently sitting in the top 4 and sorry but Tsatas needs to give us way more to be granted games. He's not great as a sub, shouldn't be played on a wing and isn't replacing any of our mids at AFL level. Full time mid at VFL level is best for his development at this stage.

You say consecutive losses as if we didn't dominate territory and lose to a side who hasn't lost at home and a premiership contender who is currently sitting second. Kick straight both times and we probably win.

We're currently sitting in the top 4 and sorry but Tsatas needs to give us way more to be granted games. He's not great as a sub, shouldn't be played on a wing and isn't replacing any of our mids at AFL level. Full time mid at VFL level is best for his development at this stage.

No, I say it as if we lost consecutive games.

I’m fine with Tsatas being dropped, based on form. But drop Kelly too. Not just the younger guys. It is 100% going to come back to haunt us in the next couple of years

I don't see this as a danger game at all, especially if Draper is playing and Reid & Kelly out. Really expect our clearance numbers to improve with his return. I am hoping Wright will make way for Caddy and Draper to rest in fwd line.

Yep no danger, easy win.

Should all go really well.
Either way, we’ll get an answer soon enough if we’re going to see a repeat of last season’s fade out.

I’m not talking about a % booster at all. But we should be able to have a win by 4-5 goals here. And that’s not trying to be disrespectful to the Eagles, who have also named a strong side. But this is at Marvel. If we’re not able to win comfortably at home with the team we’ve named, we’re in a fair bit of trouble for the next several rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our intercept marking game needs to be on. Ideally I’d like to see Ridley without a match-up but with McKay taking Allen, and Lav to take Waterman, it would mean that Darling still needs covering. Hopefully Darling will be more focussed on nullifying Ridley’s effect because I have faith that Ridz can cover the ground better. On paper, their forward line looks dangerous. Pressuring their forward entries around midfield will help us to launch attacks off half back. I don’t rate the disposal quality of their midfield.

Last edited:
I don’t know why this keeps getting brought up, like it matters at all. Setterfeild absolutely played skinny wing at times during the Carlton game.
The give away for me is he was on the opposite wing to where he started a lot of times and secondly Carlton forced us down one side for 70% of the game so he played more like a ruck rover with a lot of back half work. It was not really a traditional wing role where he held his width like Duursma and Cox and in my view that is why he played well. It was more a midfield / extra behind the footy role . The most time I saw him actually at centre wing was at the bounce and he hardly pressed forward. They also ran a few players along that wing when he was in the contest .It is just a comment on what I was watching at the game and further to the discussion that he is average if he has to play a more outside wing role . His disposal is not the best to start with so you really do not want hm as a link going inside 50. :cool:

Last edited:

Leaving aside the actual discussion for who plays this week, having only 3 of our past 19 draftees in our best 23 (and none of those shooting the lights out) is alarming to say the least. How many other clubs could ‘boast’ a talent identification and development record like that? We’ve basically relied exclusively on trading to build the list in the last 5-6 years …

No, I say it as if we lost consecutive games.

I’m fine with Tsatas being dropped, based on form. But drop Kelly too. Not just the younger guys. It is 100% going to come back to haunt us in the next couple of years
I know your view is we need to develop and in a lot of ways I agree . I do not see us as top 4 and winning our way to a preliminary final but I do not think Scott is doing a lot wrong with selection or development .

Yes we lost the last two but they were hardly anything in the same ball park as the back end of last year.
So far the blokes in the side are getting things done and a few of the young blokes have had interruptions so far .

He is hardly dropping Laverde for Hayes on form.
Roberts has been working on the defensive running. I have solid info on that.
Davey has had a look in . Not quite ready yet.
Kelly has dropped off and with Menzie doing okay last time in a new role I would think Kelly out and Redman in is fair.
You could also say Caddy for Jones is fair now.
I still think it is fair that the coach backs a few of the older guys as well. Not like he has not thrown some younger players into key roles for development. Durham / Cox / Perkins / Martin have all been given keys roles and they are the future.
They like playing Hobbs even if it is out of position.
It is about balance and do not underestimate who the captain backs as far as who gets in the side. It is not all about match day form . There are standard behind the scenes that also come into play.
Scott will never get it all right as far as us mugs on the outside looking in go but the players all seem to like the direction and system.

Duursma and Redman named on-field means they'd be almost certain to play. Setterfield with the injury concern around his knee knock and no real clarification as to fitness or injury that i've seen?

Heppell and Kelly on the bench, Kelly has been playing out of position even without Redman and Duursma there, so I suspect Kelly might be the one that makes way. Heppell's form has been quite good and coming off a bye there's no real need to manage him.

Goldstein, Wright, Jones and Draper is quite tall, so I can't see both Draper and Caddy playing without some of the first three missing, and AFAIK there's no injury concerns on Goldy, Wright, Jones, Stringer or Langford (aside from his hip knock a couple of weeks ago).

If I was to guess; Kelly, Caddy and Menzies to miss. Heppell to play as the sub.

Duursma and Redman named on-field means they'd be almost certain to play. Setterfield with the injury concern around his knee knock and no real clarification as to fitness or injury that i've seen?

Heppell and Kelly on the bench, Kelly has been playing out of position even without Redman and Duursma there, so I suspect Kelly might be the one that makes way. Heppell's form has been quite good and coming off a bye there's no real need to manage him.

Goldstein, Wright, Jones and Draper is quite tall, so I can't see both Draper and Caddy playing without some of the first three missing, and AFAIK there's no injury concerns on Goldy, Wright, Jones, Stringer or Langford (aside from his hip knock a couple of weeks ago).

If I was to guess; Kelly, Caddy and Menzies to miss. Heppell to play as the sub.
I'd be surprised if Menzie missed. He had a very good game last start.

I know your view is we need to develop and in a lot of ways I agree . I do not see us as top 4 and winning our way to a preliminary final but I do not think Scott is doing a lot wrong with selection or development .

Yes we lost the last two but they were hardly anything in the same ball park as the back end of last year.
So far the blokes in the side are getting things done and a few of the young blokes have had interruptions so far .

He is hardly dropping Laverde for Hayes on form.
Roberts has been working on the defensive running. I have solid info on that.
Davey has had a look in . Not quite ready yet.
Kelly has dropped off and with Menzie doing okay last time in a new role I would think Kelly out and Redman in is fair.
You could also say Caddy for Jones is fair now.
I still think it is fair that the coach backs a few of the older guys as well. Not like he has not thrown some younger players into key roles for development. Durham / Cox / Perkins / Martin have all been given keys roles and they are the future.
They like playing Hobbs even if it is out of position.
It is about balance and do not underestimate who the captain backs as far as who gets in the side. It is not all about match day form . There are standard behind the scenes that also come into play.
Scott will never get it all right as far as us mugs on the outside looking in go but the players all seem to like the direction and system.
And when you listen to Scott, right/wrong good or bad, his message is clear and strong. The players I feel would have a very good understanding on what he wants.

Just my veiw from outside and players seem onboard completely when interviewed.

Also, it annoys me when people say "play the kids" it is dumb as he has given plenty of players chances which they sometimes haven't blossomed and need to work on thing back in the VFL.

Play all the kids and we are sitting with North down the bottom IMO. Then everyone would be calling for Scott's head.

It feels different this year and as you say the last two losses were poles apart from last years droppoff. We could have easily won the last 2 games and the only game where we were not in it was Port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back