Game Day Round 10, Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants, Sat 28th May, 7.10pm, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
We had a great win today against a very tough and determined top 4 contender. We’re becoming match hardened in these big games. Well done guys, you’re making real progress where it counts.

Now we face the Crows in Adelaide, another city where we’ve never won, even if the losses haven’t been as humiliating as in Perth.

It’s hard to get a feel for where the Crows are at the moment. Their best win was probably a narrow victory against the Swans at home; they’ve also beaten Port, Richmond, and Fremantle. But they’ve lost against North, Hawthorn, the Bulldogs and Geelong – all teams above them on the ladder. This week they’re coming off a soft win against the collapsing Suns.

As for new injuries, unfortunately Tim Mohr will be out for a while again, and Matt Buntine will probably get rested. He’s had too many concussions. But how many more defenders can we lose? Everyone else will probably get an extended visit to the ice bath.

Jack Steele will be back, maybe Zac Williams can take Buntine’s place. If Adam Tomlinson returns, who would be moved to defence? The General did a good job down back today, but I wonder if we’re pushing our luck if he plays there for any length of time. Defenders are usually a bit more agile.

All up, I think we should go into this game with some confidence. We broke our duck against the Crows last year, even though we ran out of puff in the last quarter. Ladder position dictates we should be able to beat them on Saturday night. But winning would still be an achievement.

I will stick my neck out and say Giants by 12 points.

Last edited:

My thoughts

1. Gotta wish Matt Buntine well, he has had multiple concussions and that has to be a serious concern. Expect he won't front and we will miss him. Davis back though,and Davis, Patful.and Haines looks ok to me for KPD's. Either Tomlinson or Steele come in

2. In my recollection we haven't beaten good side away in front of a large hostile crowd. Doesn't mean we can't but I reckon it is the next step. If we can then possibly playing finals becomes a realistic top 4 chance.
3. I believe we will win, given the way the guys are going, and losing 2 of your 22 in the first quarter is way more of a handicap than playing away.

Good writeup LotG. Agree that a win in Adelaide against a solid team and hostile crowd is the next challenge. The two games afterwards are even harder, so it would be good to get this one. From our performances to date, we can do it, just hope it's not a down day for us.

How LC responds with team changes will be of interest. In the past, I'd say that Patfull has played a Buntine type role, but with KPDs out this season, he's shifted him to a taller role. If Davis is back for this game (and I'd like him to be, but for heaven's sake, don't rush him if he's not ready), then simply Davis for Mohr will be one change, and I'd think a mid for Buntine (Since we've been playing an extra defender for several weeks). Could be Steele, but also could be Tommo as a reward for his superlative form. He could also be slotted into a running defender role given Tex, Jenkins and Lynch in Adelaide's forward line. I'm presuming Haynes will be OK - if not, then Finlayson should debut. If Haynes OK but Davis not, then Finlayson should get his chance ... but that will stretch us.

Can I ask what has happened to WHE?
I know he had an injury and hasn't strung much consistent footy together but I saw him do some things against the Pies at the G about 3 years ago that convinced me he was going to become a star.

Seems to have stalled and been overtaken.

I know he had an injury and hasn't strung much consistent footy together but I saw him do some things against the Pies at the G about 3 years ago that convinced me he was going to become a star.

Actually did lose his spot last year. Came back looking good this year. Had a great game against geelong, now has a quad injury.

Injured. Back in and then injured. Back in and then injured. Every single year. Poor bastard. :(

It will be interesting to see how we pull up this week. The extra time on ground due to reduced rotations had some players out on heir feet. Soreness could be a factor

Theres some quaking in their boots going on in the Adelaide board....

Our midfield needs to do to the Crows what the Dogs should have done to us - tackle, and scrag, and harass and stop fast ball to the forward line.

If we can do that, we can cover their forwards.

It'll be amusing to watch our mids cut loose if they hard tag Shaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davis a possibility to come back, else maybe Finlayson for his debut. Looked good today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd prefer Davis to be rested for another week. Hamstrings take a long time to heal properly and we'll really need him for Geelong and then the Swans. We don't want what happened with Marchbank happening to anyone else.

We're lucky to have some excellent talent in reserve. Steele, Tomlinson, perhaps a couple of debutants. No need to rush Davis back before he's ready.

At this stage (assuming Buntine and Davis don't get up), we have a grand total of two recognized KPDs who have debuted still fit (Patfull and Haynes - 189cm and 192cm respectively), two KPFs who could pinch hit (Tomlinson and Patton), a couple of reserves players yet to debut (Himmelberg? and Finlayson), and five other KPDs injured. Wow.

At this stage (assuming Buntine and Davis don't get up), we have a grand total of two recognized KPDs who have debuted still fit (Patfull and Haynes - 189cm and 192cm respectively), two KPFs who could pinch hit (Tomlinson and Patton), a couple of reserves players yet to debut (Himmelberg? and Finlayson), and five other KPDs injured. Wow.
I'm just wondering if the injury state of our backline will be as widely reported in the footy media as the dogs was and then imply an expected loss as a result.

Also wondering if someone like Whitfield could drop back as a backline option?

We're fine for shorter options (Shaw and Wilson at a minimum). It's really KPDs 189cm or above that are feeling the pinch.

Any of chances of Harry Himmelberg. Besides the fact that I think he has a really cool name I was really impressed by some of his play in the preseason NEAFL clashes with our reserves. Looks a good size too so wouldn't be overpowered by the big forwards in the AFL.

Also wondering if someone like Whitfield could drop back as a backline option?
Kelly played a little off halfback yesterday, mostly on a smaller player.

I would be very surprised if Tommo doesn't come in this week based on injuries and his form but at the same time not sure what role he would play.

I think our defence will be challenged this week - a very bad week to lose Buntine. Davis to Tex, Haynes to Jenkins, Kennedy (would have been Butine IMO) to Lynch, Patfull to Eddie?

Didn't Patfull play on Eddie last time?

I would be very surprised if Tommo doesn't come in this week based on injuries and his form but at the same time not sure what role he would play.

I think our defence will be challenged this week - a very bad week to lose Buntine. Davis to Tex, Haynes to Jenkins, Kennedy (would have been Butine IMO) to Lynch, Patfull to Eddie?

Didn't Patfull play on Eddie last time?
Haynes to Jenkins.Nope..Who takes him if Davis doesn't get up.?.Patton?..Tomlinson suited to Lynch.Patfull to Walker.Kennedy or Williams to Betts.Best to free up Haynes so he can intercept.Think they will play defensively against Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 10, Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants, Sat 28th May, 7.10pm, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back