Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

To totally rebuild the midfield, apart from the draft, youngish mids we should target:

1. LDU
2. Will Brodie (not getting playing time with Freo)
3. Sam Berry (Adelaide, a tackling machine)
4. Will Philips (former pick 3, starved off opportunities at North)
5. Hobbs (not getting opportunities at Bombers)
6. Any young genuine mids from GWS, Carlton or Bulldogs because they have oversupply of them

Anyone else I’ve missed
Wow. You have to be kidding don't you? How many years of mediocrity have we been through? And you want to bring in Phillips Brodie and Berry. Do you watch football? They are list cloggers of the highest order.
Absolutely blows my mind that the same people that say they are sick of us been terrible want to bring players to the club that will halt future development and take time away from young developing players that may actually have a future.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Melbourne gonna wipe us from the history books at the MCG next Sunday, they’ll smash us like a zinger box

Jack Steele one of the worst captains we’ve ever had, there i said it, body language is pathetic when we’re losing and communicates like Mr. Bean on the field with no voice at all.

Once upon a time I used to be down when we lost.
Absolutely no emotion tonight, basically couldn't care less.
Feel nothing for this nothing club, with its nothing culture, zero values. If the players don't care, why should we?
This is more disappointing than 2021.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yer I'm the same. I'm normally very emotional watching St.Kilda and a loss hurts me for days. Now I just feel empty. Empty that the club has ruined so many years of my life.
The part that does get me angry is I feel St.Kilda more than any club in the comp just flat out don't give a **** about us fans..

Bonner had 26 disposals at 84%. He’s no star but he wasn’t the problem tonight.
The obsession with fans on this board judging everyone purely by stats is mental. Bonner is a liability. He is as scared as they come of contact, makes terrible decisions and flat out butchers the majority of his kicks.
Yer he finds a heap of cheap possies but who gives af. He doesn't positively impact a game of football at all.

Yer I'm the same. I'm normally very emotional watching St.Kilda and a loss hurts me for days. Now I just feel empty. Empty that the club has ruined so many years of my life.
The part that does get me angry is I feel St.Kilda more than any club in the comp just flat out don't give a **** about us fans..

I’m also pretty calm. I’m at leave with where we’re at always known there’s a lot of work to do but I do like the youth we have coming through compared to 2021 which was dire. Darlymple really has to get to work even starting in the mid season draft. Haven’t lost full faith in the coaches at this stage.

Just can’t allow ourselves to feel so down by a bunch of blokes kicking the ball. Disappointed, for sure

Wow. You have to be kidding don't you? How many years of mediocrity have we been through? And you want to bring in Phillips Brodie and Berry. Do you watch football? They are list cloggers of the highest order.
Absolutely blows my mind that the same people that say they are sick of us been terrible want to bring players to the club that will halt future development and take time away from young developing players that may actually have a future.

Will Brodie - averaging 27 possessions in 2022, 12 contested, 6 clearances, 5 tackles
Sam Berry - averaging 18 possessions in 2022, 10 contested, 5 clearances, 10 tackles.
Will Philips have been injured must of his tenure in the AFL, but was a gun mid in juniors.

The thing is we don’t need only 1-2 more, we need 4-5 more and do it quickly, to play in the AFL as well as developing in the VFl.. All I’m saying is we need to accumulate mids, mids and more mids.. to do that we can not only rely on drafting.

Trading for diamonds in the rough is only 1 avenue.. When we got Steele, he was only a no-name young player (probably also considered a list clogger at GWS).

We should also keep drafting genuine mids, and use FA when possible.

Last edited:
So … will Lyon last the year ? We’re not only losing, we’re just awful to watch. And Lyon’s antics are just embarrassing.

The season is shot, so we could keep Lyon to get us a good draft pick - but with this gameplan we’ll get 22 Sunday twilight time slots and may lose even some of the most loyal supporters forever.

Sorry, Lyon, thank you for two (three) GF memories, but you’re just not up to it today.

Would Melbourne allow McQualter to start next week ?
Sacking Lyon now would be PEAK St Kilda but we're past that now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t coach for “effort” any more in the modern AFL.

Teams are too effective at pressing.

You need to coach ball movement and skills under pressure constantly.

Ross Lyon’s style was already obsolete at the tail end of his Freo tenure.

It is even more obsolete now.

The game has moved far beyond Ross Lyon.

The “skills” you are watching on show every week prove it.

We made finals last year only because we played such an extremely defensive style early on and banked wins when the comp couldn’t work out how to stop our counter-attack. It was a dead-cat bounce.

The re-hiring of Ross was a massive mistake. The sooner the board own it, the better.

If not, it will continue to get ugly.

Unfortunately the board has gone all in with Ross.

What will happen next is Ross will throw the list under the bus and get time for a full re-build.

What choice do the board have? They have stupidly done everything he said so far so they’ll just have to keep going along with it as they won’t feel they have a choice.

This would be a massive mistake. He is simply not capable of coaching or developing a modern attacking team.

Without a hint of hyperbole, if we keep playing like this and give Ross Lyon the keys to a rebuild, I think the club we all love will fold.

No one will turn up to watch the s**t he’s putting out as a coach.

Coach for skill and decision making under pressure.

Effort is a given.
Effort isn't a given, just watch North or Richmond

Bonner had 26 disposals at 84%. He’s no star but he wasn’t the problem tonight.
very vocal on field, could clearly hear him all game, by far the loudest of our players

I think the gist of what I got from Lyon's presser is we've got no midfield and I feel he has to play a way to keep us competitive because we're miles off from competing. Like he did say Fremantle have been drafting their mids for the last 7-8 years and we're no where near that at the moment. Interesting take he had there. So it's not like he doesn't know it's bad.

The obsession with fans on this board judging everyone purely by stats is mental. Bonner is a liability. He is as scared as they come of contact, makes terrible decisions and flat out butchers the majority of his kicks.
Yer he finds a heap of cheap possies but who gives af. He doesn't positively impact a game of football at all.

but I agree with this as well

To totally rebuild the midfield, apart from the draft, youngish mids we should target:

1. LDU
2. Will Brodie (not getting playing time with Freo)
3. Sam Berry (Adelaide, a tackling machine)
4. Will Philips (former pick 3, starved off opportunities at North)
5. Hobbs (not getting opportunities at Bombers)
6. Any young genuine mids from GWS, Carlton or Bulldogs because they have oversupply of them

Anyone else I’ve missed
Bailey Humphrey plays as a forward pocket for the Suns because their mids are so stacked

We aren't the club we used to be when we had St Kilda players that would play for the jumper and not just play for the money.

We have some youngsters now who look like they are playing for the jumper. Windhager, Owens. Wilson, Caminiti and Sharman.

They aren't playing well enough to attract better offers but I would like to think that they would stay loyal to St Kilda regardless.

He basically said he doesn't have the cattle.
Great way to get the players on your side. It’s no wonder they don’t believe in themselves.

Our problems are 100% gameplan related. Almost double the marks then points scored, we might as well have just kept Ratten.

Great way to get the players on your side. It’s no wonder they don’t believe in themselves.

Our problems are 100% gameplan related. Almost double the marks then points scored, we might as well have just kept Ratten.
It's pretty obvious to everyone though.

Like our best mid in Steele wouldn't be a walk up start in multiple midfields (Port, Melbourne, Suns, Dogs, Swans, Giants etc)

How was Steele's leadership. Top effort.

I am sorry everyone.
No idea if this is sarcastic or not.

However, I only see Marshall, Wilkie, Hill as leaders. Hill's atrociously conspicuous slip tonight probably cost him a B&f, but eve so, I cannot see where Steele leads.
Can you explain?
What does Steele do?

Otherwise, I am defaulting to my prioir position. Steele 'inspires rather than instructs' through honest and humble efforts. it is an invisible leadership for us fans grazing on beers and chips on the outer, but it is palpable to the players in the heat of battle.

Could be time fir the team to go away to someone’s farm and have a few beers around a campfire and have a heart to heart . …. Oh that’s right , that would be banned these days .
Burning wood would harm the environment.
Drinking beer causes brain damage
Spending a whole night away would not be approved by the aflpa as overtime would need to be paid
And there might be no Wi-Fi so the players wouldn’t be able to post it .
Old man yells at cloud

It's pretty obvious to everyone though.

Like our best mid in Steele wouldn't be a walk up start in multiple midfields (Port, Melbourne, Suns, Dogs, Swans, Giants etc)
He would walk in to at minimum Melbourne, Suns, Dogs, Giants (Green is their only inside bull) even if they had to do some rearranging and the Swans wouldn’t have gone after Adams if they had him. He isn’t a multiple AA by accident. Either way though your job as the coach is to get the best out of players and you can’t do that if you telling all 40+ of them that they’re not good enough.

He would walk in to at minimum Melbourne, Suns, Dogs, Giants (Green is their only inside bull) even if they had to do some rearranging and the Swans wouldn’t have gone after Adams if they had him. He isn’t a multiple AA by accident. Either way though your job as the coach is to get the best out of players and you can’t do that if you telling all 40+ of them that they’re not good enough.

Only you are, one part of coaching is recognising what needs to be fixed and then, when it relates to you know, people, ensuring that communication is key.

We're at round 10, what 1/4 of the side just got turfed for the week and this was the result. If previous pennies didn't drop, grab the roll and smack a bitch to make a dent is always an option. All of it depends on how the individual and the collective will treat it, and frankly, if they crack the sads and don't want to play footy then they don't deserve the wage for what amounts to just hurt feelings.

Just how do you think reviews happen weekly? By tippy toeing about how player A screwed up in random instances? All of it is a learning experience, part of that is learning not to shit the bed under pressure and go to your happy place mentally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back