Review Round 10, 2024: Essendon v Box Hill Hawks, 2 June 2024, 1.05pm @ Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked DGBs game but one thing I think he really needs to work on is keeping his feet in contests where he spoils.
There were a couple times on the weekend where he did overcommit to a spoil and lose his feer and at AFL level teams will take advantage of that if they clean it up.

Ward and Wiz back to AFL

Wingard a chance soon

Maginness superb and DGB showing plenty + Ramsden great.
Who do they replace? Tough calls incoming save for injury replacements.

It's getting hot in here and that is excellent news. Some serious selection pressure brewing. May it continue!

Who do they replace? Tough calls incoming save for injury replacements.

It's getting hot in here and that is excellent news. Some serious selection pressure brewing. May it continue!
Ward could come in soon for a management of say Mackenzie, or MacDonald. Could push out CJ and just get more rotations in the middle. But interesting. Watson has to play, Breust can come out for now.

Ward could come in soon for a management of say Mackenzie, or MacDonald. Could push out CJ and just get more rotations in the middle. But interesting. Watson has to play, Breust can come out for now.
Why does Watson have to play? If he did play he'd only be the sub anyway and we'd be better of getting game time into him at Box Hill.

Why does Watson have to play? If he did play he'd only be the sub anyway and we'd be better of getting game time into him at Box Hill.
He doesn’t gain anything playing VFL footy, his issues is adapting to AFL level pace and he doesn’t get that at VFL level, a confidence boost is about it, and he has plenty of that.

He doesn’t gain anything playing VFL footy, his issues is adapting to AFL level pace and he doesn’t get that at VFL level, a confidence boost is about it, and he has plenty of that.
But giving him a quarter isn't going to do anything and he isn't going to replace anyone in the current 22.

With the team playing well he takes what he can. If it’s sub, so be it. But he’s not learning anything at VFL level.
He's not getting match fitness being the sub though. He's definitely learning at VFL level.

Don't get me wrong he's killed it at AFL level but there just isn't a spot he should be taking right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not getting match fitness being the sub though. He's definitely learning at VFL level.

Don't get me wrong he's killed it at AFL level but there just isn't a spot he should be taking right now.
What does Watson gain from VFL footy to progress him as a better player, that he can’t do at AFL level where he will also be a performer.

What does Watson gain from VFL footy to progress him as a better player, that he can’t do at AFL level where he will also be a performer.
I'll ask it again, who goes out for him?
He's gaining at VFL level because he is getting full games, which is something he isn't going to get at AFL level right now because:
1. We are in good form and don't have a spot for him right now.
2. He is recently back from a decent injury break and needs match fitness.

I'll ask it again, who goes out for him?
He's gaining at VFL level because he is getting full games, which is something he isn't going to get at AFL level right now because:
1. We are in good form and don't have a spot for him right now.
2. He is recently back from a decent injury break and needs match fitness.
I’d be taking Breust out, and playing him as the sub if it has to be done. He just has to be in the 23.

Not really much to support this, but is Bruest in the match day coaching team on the bench, then taking the in match IP onto the field with him?

Last edited:
Whatever the outcome, the list is looking stronger than it has for many years no!?

I like what I'm seeing/reading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back