Review Round 10, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Some interesting posts by people who are obviously wedded to certain players regardless of current form. When form of these posters pets have been questioned you were met with “who do we have to replace them?” And now we have answers to those questions (we actually have a diverse and talented pool of youth) we are now met with “we only played against shit teams”. Riiiight… keep changing the goalposts champs.

The fact is we are playing a higher energy, more direct and powerful game than we have all season. The fresh faced youth have been a big factor in this. We aren’t perfect but this adversity on the injury front has created opportunities that would never been possible. I’m happy to see the young blokes give it a crack.

Some interesting posts by people who are obviously wedded to certain players regardless of current form. When form of these posters pets have been questioned you were met with “who do we have to replace them?” And now we have answers to those questions (we actually have a diverse and talented pool of youth) we are now met with “we only played against s**t teams”. Riiiight… keep changing the goalposts champs.

The fact is we are playing a higher energy, more direct and powerful game than we have all season. The fresh faced youth have been a big factor in this. We aren’t perfect but this adversity on the injury front has created opportunities that would never been possible. I’m happy to see the young blokes give it a crack.

I think you’re right. There’s more than enough talent there and 3KZ just can’t let Ryan Lester go. ;p

Some interesting posts by people who are obviously wedded to certain players regardless of current form. When form of these posters pets have been questioned you were met with “who do we have to replace them?” And now we have answers to those questions (we actually have a diverse and talented pool of youth) we are now met with “we only played against s**t teams”. Riiiight… keep changing the goalposts champs.

Yes…in my opinion, the strongest argument for keeping the team the same, despite poor showings was the “who do you replace them with” argument. I’m very happy for there to be selection pressure. If someone is playing ok in the firsts, then let the players bash the door down in the VFL to force their way back in.

I think the cracks this week are in the form of Hippy being suspended and Clugga a bit suspect.
Hippy's out and Cugga might be suspect.

Reading between the lines I don't think we're totally convinced Bails and
Starc are quite ready either.

I thought our selections were often a bit staid from time to time but it seems a lot of posters on this forum are as well.

I got sick of saying it at Fitzroy for 30 years so I'm not going to miss this chance.

Give the kids a go !!!!

Hippy's out and Cugga might be suspect.

Reading between the lines I don't think we're totally convinced Bails and
Starc are quite ready either.

I thought our selections were often a bit staid from time to time but it seems a lot of posters on this forum are as well.

I got sick of saying it at Fitzroy for 30 years so I'm not going to miss this chance.

Give the kids a go !!!!
I would love to see Brain given a full game.
So would bring him into the starting line up, push Wilmot up to a wing and Reville more forward with some time in the midfield to replace a bit of Cluggas time in there along with more time for Berry on ball.
As far as a Hippy replacement, I am really not sure which way to go to be honest.

I would love to see Brain given a full game.
So would bring him into the starting line up, push Wilmot up to a wing and Reville more forward with some time in the midfield to replace a bit of Cluggas time in there along with more time for Berry on ball.
As far as a Hippy replacement, I am really not sure which way to go to be honest.
Yeah we have no replacement for Hippy so it's either go smaller or bring Fort in .I'm a bit in the camp of going smaller and subbing Fort and hope we don't get a repeat of the last time we subbed Fort on the MCG.

I hope I'm not getting deluded but on what I've seen of Brain recently he looks to have some special qualities for a player who's basically come out of nowhere the last year or so. So I just want to see him with a full game and opportunity.

Not a like for like comparison. Fair chance against Geelong Sharp, Morris and Reville would’ve been ineffective and we were just fine against North like against the Suns and Richmond. It’s not like they’ve come in and contributed better than our senior players

Starcevich has stagnated as. Top 5 in the B&F consistent contributor in a top team. Nothing wrong with stagnating once you become a gun. Bailey too while frustrating is a valuable contributor and none of these kids can do what he did in the first quarter of the Grand Final.

I agree he is not a midfielder I’ve been consistent on this for a very long time.

Just need to step back and not get too enamoured with the shiny new toys. It’s something you learn having followed footy for a while

Definitely a tough prospect selection in the coming weeks but that’s a good thing remembering that Noble didn’t play in the premiership last year

OK but here's the thing. We have a tendency to keep driving square pegs into round holes - ie Rayner and Bailey in the midfield. Neither are midfielders. Neither are consistent or reliable. Both are burst players. Both have major deficiencies for that role - and both are at times are our weak links.

Until this injury run, and new blood coming into the team forcing changes that would have never otherwise happened, we would have rinsed and repeated this ad nauseum. How many times do you slam your dick in a car door before you stop?

Sure, the younger guys are perhaps not "better" than their natural replacements... but their selection has changed the dynamic of the team. And even if it is proven that the regular players are "better" I would be very disappointed if we simply go back to automatic selection.

Stagnating is fine if if you are gun player or a gun team. But it's still a certain skill set.

Using different tools available for different jobs is something we have never done well... our eyes should now be wide open to the options we have. If we don't use them regardless of the changes to the "net talent" of the team we are fools.

Assuming we are a worse team, simply because we don't use regular players, is wrong and is also something you learn having followed footy for a while.

Last edited:
OK but here's the thing. We have a tendency to keep driving square pegs into round holes - ie Rayner and Bailey in the midfield. Neither are midfielders. Neither are consistent or reliable. Both are burst players. Both have major deficiencies for that role - and both are at times are our weak links.

Until this injury run, and new blood coming into the team forcing changes that would have never otherwise happened, we would have rinsed and repeated this ad nauseum. How many times do you slam your dick in a car door before you stop?

Sure, the younger guys are perhaps not "better" than their natural replacements... but their selection has changed the dynamic of the team. And even if it is proven that the regular players are "better" I would be very disappointed if we simply go back to automatic selection.

Stagnating is fine if if you are gun player or a gun team. But it's still a certain skill set.

Using different tools available for different jobs is something we have never done well... our eyes should now be wide open to the options we have. If we don't use them regardless of the changes to the "net talent" of the team we are fools.

Assuming we are a worse team simply because we don't use regular players is also something you learn having followed footy for a while.
Unless you're talking about a serious gun player who produces consistent effort week after week the loss of middle of the road players is overrated when you have other players who are hungry and keen and have enough ability to play Senior footy. You never know what their capabilities might be with some experience.

Brain to me looks hungry and focused for a start. Is he any good ? I don't know but he could be.

Assuming we are a worse team simply because we don't use regular players is also something you learn having followed footy for a while.

I'm not going to argue with Rayner at this point but the criticism of Bailey is pretty funny to me. The list of players that can average close to 20 touches (just under the last 3 years) and a goal a game is very very small.

Both Bailey and Rayner are judged on the standard of not becoming competition guns basically. In Bailey's case, he's had seasons where he has been very very good and has more than enough credits in the bank to come straight back into the team.

I'm happy with him as a half-forward who has a burst in midfield.

Chris Scott made an interesting observation leading up to the 2022 Grand Final that your best team is not necessarily your best 22/23 players. I think there's a lot of truth to that. It's more important to have the right players filling the right roles.

I'm not going to argue with Rayner at this point but the criticism of Bailey is pretty funny to me. The list of players that can average close to 20 touches (just under the last 3 years) and a goal a game is very very small.

Both Bailey and Rayner are judged on the standard of not becoming competition guns basically. In Bailey's case, he's had seasons where he has been very very good and has more than enough credits in the bank to come straight back into the team.

I'm happy with him as a half-forward who has a burst in midfield.
If you look at our midfield lapses it happens when our "second tier" mids are in there - Bailey being one.

Don't get me wrong, he is very, very good at what he does best - quick, agile and accurate. But at clearances often he doesn't even get a match up from opposition players. Strength is not one of his best points, his tendency to fend and bite off more than he can chew is costly. His turnovers are costly. His free kick against count is not pretty as a result - our second highest player. He's just not an inside mid.

Now, outside, first receiver, sure. But persisting with him in and under when there are now (and always were) better options is crazy.

And as far as being judged as guns - all I want from players is consistent effort with and without the ball.

I don't want a team of guns... you don't win with a team of guns. You need workhorses too. The criticism here at times of players like Berry or Starc or Lester or Ah Chee or Answerth and the like annoys me just like the constant unfounded adulation of players like Rayner.

I don't hold Rayner or Bailey to any higher standard than anyone else. Put in 100%, that's all we should ever ask. But there are certainly times where Rayner in particular has very, very questionable intent to do the little things. If he showed half the enthusiasm of Lohman I'd be happy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you look at our midfield lapses it happens when our "second tier" mids are in there - Bailey being one.

Don't get me wrong, he is very, very good at what he does best - quick, agile and accurate. But at clearances often he doesn't even get a match up from opposition players. Strength is not one of his best points, his tendency to fend and bite off more than he can chew is costly. His turnovers are costly. His free kick against count is not pretty as a result - our second highest player. He's just not an inside mid.

Now, outside, first receiver, sure. But persisting with him in and under when there are now (and always were) better options is crazy.

And as far as being judged as guns - all I want from players is consistent effort with and without the ball.

I don't want a team of guns... you don't win with a team of guns. You need workhorses too. The criticism here at times of players like Berry or Starc or Lester or Ah Chee or Answerth and the like annoys me just like the constant unfounded adulation of players like Rayner.

I don't hold Rayner or Bailey to any higher standard than anyone else. Put in 100%, that's all we should ever ask. But there are certainly times where Rayner in particular has very, very questionable intent to do the little things. If he showed half the enthusiasm of Lohman I'd be happy.

What unfounded adulation of Rayner do you see on here lol? Elixuh doing a bit to annoy d@nst3r?

I can’t think of a player who gets more negative commentary. Maybe Eric I guess. For a while I was consistently down on Payne on here but good for him, his performances proved me wrong.

I agree with a lot of what you said about Bailey and he needs to put away the fend and just go back to running around players (though he’s screwed if the umpires ever actually count how far he runs).

But pretty simple - play him as a half forward with rotation occasionally on ball and through the wing. He’s better than the replacements who’ve done a decent job in his absence, just like starce is a better option than Brain etc right now.

I’m really pleased that Bruce and Logan and brain have shown a bit but I haven’t seen anything out of them that has them as an automatic starter the rest of the way, particularly given the level of competition they’ve faced.

How many times do you slam your dick in a car door before you stop?

You can’t just keep asking people for guidance on this issue. This is bigfooty.

Typically I would suggest if you slam your dick in a car door more than once then you should go get yourself measured for Guinness World Records, and consider more appropriate attire - perhaps a thigh strap could help.
I assumed they were driving around naked.

Typically I would suggest if you slam your dick in a car door more than once then you should go get yourself measured for Guinness World Records, and consider more appropriate attire - perhaps a thigh strap could help.
This is one of the best and most vivid metaphors I've seen.

I mean slam your hand in the car door ,I get it ,it'd be painful. But as relating to footy team selection you could potentially see it happening again.

But slamming your dick in the car door ? That's taking it up a few notches. Who's going to take a chance on doing that again ? Even if their dick was up to it.

Great work by Notliondown in illustrating his aspect on the futility of our team selections at times.

What unfounded adulation of Rayner do you see on here lol? Elixuh doing a bit to annoy d@nst3r?

I can’t think of a player who gets more negative commentary. Maybe Eric I guess. For a while I was consistently down on Payne on here but good for him, his performances proved me wrong.

I agree with a lot of what you said about Bailey and he needs to put away the fend and just go back to running around players (though he’s screwed if the umpires ever actually count how far he runs).

But pretty simple - play him as a half forward with rotation occasionally on ball and through the wing. He’s better than the replacements who’ve done a decent job in his absence, just like starce is a better option than Brain etc right now.

I’m really pleased that Bruce and Logan and brain have shown a bit but I haven’t seen anything out of them that has them as an automatic starter the rest of the way, particularly given the level of competition they’ve faced.

Elixuh? Never heard of him :grin:

There is still a decent cohort that claim we still haven't seen enough of Cam to know whether he's any good as a mid or not and that he will come good. Or that the coach is at fault because he hasn't had enough midfield time...

I think Cam has been unfairly burdened with the expectations that no. 1 draft pick brings when I have said previously I don't think we picked him at 1 because of his talent. If we haven't seen enough of him by now to judge his output I fear we never will.

As for who's better - new or established players... I don't really disagree with what you say but I think it's too early to make that call. Games played is really the only way to prove that and you are almost certainly not going to get sustained output from the younger players so that's why this period is so valuable. I can't tell you Brain is not as good as Starce for example because we've seen a half of football from him. Odds are that true but we don't know for sure.

I just hope we don't revert to plan A as rigidly as we did that's all.

Last edited:
There are many issues that I suffer from I will freely admit but the need for a thigh strap unfortunately isn't one :unsure:
You can’t just keep asking people for guidance on this issue. This is bigfooty.
So I guess you are pulling the plug on our therapy sessions? I'll miss the trips down the M1 :sadv1:
I assumed they were driving around naked.
Strangely enough this was always the same assumption I had whenever I heard that saying as well!!

Back