18. B.Macaffer
19. L.Brown
20. B.Dick
21. C.Tarrant
22. A.Krakouer
23. L.Davis
24. B.Johnson
25.T.Goldsack

Assume all fit and firing. The first 16 are set. Perhaps we should go around the room and take a poll which 3 of the second list you make emergencies and why.

For me, the last 3 miss out. The last 2 can be covered easily and Leon unfortunately misses due to matchups.

goldsack is the prototype for the sub. tall, athletic, can play a role at either end or athletically capable of running thru the middle if need be. he won't be missing many next year

Our Premiership team.

They got the job done.

Nah, save them all for round 3, they all should (if fit and not suspended) have the honour of representing us in round 3 against the Scum when we unfurl our 15th Premiership Flag.

"Play Around" with the side during the NAB Cup, and reward encouraging efforts by "newcomers" with senior selection in rounds 1 and 2.

I'd consider resting some of the "older" players early on in the season, the likes of Leeroy, BJ, and even a Didak depending on fitness and form.

But come round 3, enough "mucking around", pick the premiership 22, and let them show once again why that 22 won us the flag, by thumping the scum.:thumbsu:

Our Premiership team.

They got the job done.

Dude, thank god someone else is thinking the same way as me.

I'd be perfectly happy for Krakouer and Tarrant to play in the VFL. There are going to be some disappointed Pies fans if Krakouer doesn't work out, and Tarrant is 30 and coming off a season ruined by injury.

To Rusler, I wasn't having a go at all of what you said, we just obviously disagree on Krakouer. It would be awesome if he tore it up, and he looks amazing, but to this point November 2010, he should not be in our starting 22 for 2011. The only reason Tarrant would be over Goldsack is because Goldsack really didn't fire much toward the end of the season, though I would back Goldsack to be an improver next year.

My philosophy is back the young guys on our list, the premiership players, and then if they aren't doing the job, we have some quality on the sidelines.

Really hate seeing MaCaffer and Benny Johnson being left out of a few of these sides and for guys that have huge question marks on them. Tarrant, Dick- Injuries, Davis, Krakouer- unproven form.

Somebody said Kraouer dominated at times in the AFL? Why the hell did he go and play WAFL then? I would expect Krakouer 2010 to be much better than he has ever been before, because Krakouer pre 2010 would not have a hope in hell of getting into our side, despite everyone on this forum chucking him in.
I want to reiterate I really hope he guns it, but I just dont think we should expect it.

Krak and Taz may well see some VFL time if their form does not warrant best 22 selection, however you would have to be naive to think that both players weren't recruited to be best 22.

As has been said, you do not give up your first pick to get a mature-aged player without the intention of making your current side better. Krakouer will be or be close to best 22 IMO barring injuries and form.

Also, Tarrant will be a certain starter. This is non-negotiable. He was not recruited to sit in the twos and wait for his time. He will feature in our best side from the start.

Krak and Taz may well see some VFL time if their form does not warrant best 22 selection, however you would have to be naive to think that both players weren't recruited to be best 22.

As has been said, you do not give up your first pick to get a mature-aged player without the intention of making your current side better. Krakouer will be or be close to best 22 IMO barring injuries and form.

Also, Tarrant will be a certain starter. This is non-negotiable. He was not recruited to sit in the twos and wait for his time. He will feature in our best side from the start.
Agree :thumbsu:
Both were selected to enhance the flexibility of the side and fitness/form dependent will be certain starters. Learn the Geelong lesson - no sentiment to cloud selection if back to back is to be possible. We dumped a number of 'best 22' players to get where we are and will need to continue that attitude to back up.

Somebody said Kraouer dominated at times in the AFL? Why the hell did he go and play WAFL then? I would expect Krakouer 2010 to be much better than he has ever been before, because Krakouer pre 2010 would not have a hope in hell of getting into our side, despite everyone on this forum chucking him in.
Got into trouble with the law so Richmond delisted him and then he got jailed is the short answer.

I'm excited also about the prospect of having Tarrant move forward. I'd love to see Cloke running high up to link up and to kick it into a fwd 50 with Dawes, Tarrant and a sprinkling of smalls like Dick, Davis or Sidebums.

I'm excited also about the prospect of having Tarrant move forward. I'd love to see Cloke running high up to link up and to kick it into a fwd 50 with Dawes, Tarrant and a sprinkling of smalls like Dick, Davis or Sidebums.

I like your style.

Possibly

HF - Didak Cloke Sidebottom/Macaffer
F - Tarrant Dawes Dick/Davis

Or you could even have Tarrant and Cloke play as lead ups and use smaller look inside 50 with Dawes the primary large target and Dick/Davis/Macaffer/Krakouer etc at his feet roving.

I want to reiterate I really hope he guns it, but I just dont think we should expect it.

That was me. And it's true. He was just never consistent in his performances and as a player with off field issues and a looming jail sentence got delisted. The point was that he has shown genuine AFL ability previously so the WAFL argument you were making doesn't wash. You may be right in that he may not be a lock for the 22 but to suggest he is not atleast a good chance is a stretch. There is definitely a strong argument for his inclusion.

That was me. And it's true. He was just never consistent in his performances and as a player with off field issues and a looming jail sentence got delisted. The point was that he has shown genuine AFL ability previously so the WAFL argument you were making doesn't wash. You may be right in that he may not be a lock for the 22 but to suggest he is not atleast a good chance is a stretch. There is definitely a strong argument for his inclusion.

I agree with this 100%

Really happy with our list and the competition for spots. It makes them more hungry.

But Krakouer isnt the only player that there is a definite strong argument for his inclusion. Think about all the other players outside the premiership 22 that should be fighting for spots or who could slot straight in.

Tarrant, Davis, Dick, Wood, McCarthy, Rounds, Buckley. Thats just off the top of my head.

Our list is in a very healthy position IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I have no doubt that al of our forwards will rotate through half-forward and deep, I actually would prefer Tarrant doing the link up work from half-forward (played his best footy IMO for us in this role and won AA honours) with Dawes and Cloke in between Taz and the goal square.

Cloke is sooo dangerous inside 50 where his contested marking is the best in the comp and a real weapon.

Obviously Taz will spend some time down back too but that's how I'd like to see it set up.

Horrible post FAIRANDBALANCED

I spend two full posts talking about how Beams (20yo) and Dick (22yo) are in our best side definitely and should stay in over other players but because I suggested that we would actually play our recruits I am "ignoring the hype of youth." You have done one of two things here. 1, you haven't read either of my posts in full but you have responded as if you have or 2, you have deliberately selected parts of my posts to respond to while completely ignoring other parts of my posts where I in fact agree with you. Your comments are contradictory in any case because your 1 suggested change would see an old player coming in for a younger one. Personally I think it would be a good change so for that part I agree with you but it doesn't make your post any less contradictory. It seems that you have an opinion on who you think should be in the team and you are willing to twist people's words in order to somehow "prove" that your opinion has merit.

Remember, Goldsack was a 1 game replacement for an out of form player and he played in an unfamiliar position. I have effectively replaced Davis and Macaffer with Krakouer and Dick. It really isn't that much older (it's actually younger).

You claim that posters are in "lalaland" for suggesting that Krakouer will come in and dominate to the extent he did in the WAFL. Who has said that? All we've said is that he will play. You do not trade away your number 1 pick for a mature aged player unless you have the view that they are more than likely to be in your best side. You are naive and in "lalaland" if you think differently.

This. Everyone said Leroy would not come in and play when we traded for him. The Krak may have to find some form first (first few rounds) but they (c/wood) did not give their #1 pick away for a player that may be used for back up. The Krak shows some form in the NAB and he should be good to go.

I may not agree with this but not many teams would trade like that and then not have them pencilled in for the starting 22.

Dude, thank god someone else is thinking the same way as me.

I'd be perfectly happy for Krakouer and Tarrant to play in the VFL. There are going to be some disappointed Pies fans if Krakouer doesn't work out, and Tarrant is 30 and coming off a season ruined by injury.

To Rusler, I wasn't having a go at all of what you said, we just obviously disagree on Krakouer. It would be awesome if he tore it up, and he looks amazing, but to this point November 2010, he should not be in our starting 22 for 2011. The only reason Tarrant would be over Goldsack is because Goldsack really didn't fire much toward the end of the season, though I would back Goldsack to be an improver next year.

My philosophy is back the young guys on our list, the premiership players, and then if they aren't doing the job, we have some quality on the sidelines.

Really hate seeing MaCaffer and Benny Johnson being left out of a few of these sides and for guys that have huge question marks on them. Tarrant, Dick- Injuries, Davis, Krakouer- unproven form.

Why would you perfectly happy, our big two recruits for the draft and you want them in the magoo's? That would indicate that we wasted them because they are not project players or youth.

Surely if they are in the starting 22 then we have improved. No chance BOTH Tarrant and The Krak are going to be playing VFL

FF: Chris Tarrant - Chris Dawes - Steele Sidebottom

HF: Andrew Krakouer - Travis Cloke - Alan Didak

C: Dale Thomas - Scott Pendlebury - Sharrod Wellingham

HB: Nick Maxwell - Ben Reid - Heath Shaw

FB: Alan Toovey - Nathan Brown - Harry O'Brien

Foll: Darren Jolly - Luke Ball - Dane Swan

Int: Dayne Beams - Leigh Brown - Ben Johnson

Sub: Brent Macaffer

Emg: Brad Dick - Leon Davis - Tyson Goldsack

Is there any chance of the AFL scrapping the sub if there are enough people outspoken against it before the start of the season? Because it is the most ridiculous rule change brought in for quite a while. I would rather a cap on substitutes rather than a sub.

Also for the clowns saying they would not have Krakouer in their best 22's, they are basically saying they are happy we threw away a first round pick and the opportunity to draft someone like Kieran Harper. Andrew Krakouer has probably become a player guaranteed his spot for at least the first few rounds, else it makes the recruiters look like idiots.

B H.O'Brien B.Reid H.Shaw
HB A.Toovey N.Maxwell T.Goldsack
C S.Pendlebury L.Ball A.Didak
HF A.Krakouer T.Cloke D.Thomas
F B.MacCaffer C.Dawes S.Sidebottom
R D.Jolly D.Swan S.Wellingham

INT B.Johnson C.Tarrant L.Brown D.Beams

EMG N.Brown L.Davis S.Buckley

B H.O'Brien B.Reid H.Shaw
HB A.Toovey N.Maxwell T.Goldsack
C S.Pendlebury L.Ball A.Didak
HF A.Krakouer T.Cloke D.Thomas
F B.MacCaffer C.Dawes S.Sidebottom
R D.Jolly D.Swan S.Wellingham

INT B.Johnson C.Tarrant L.Brown D.Beams

EMG N.Brown L.Davis S.Buckley

Pretty much on the money but I can't see N Brown riding the bench. Goldsack would make way for him in that side.

This is so hard.

Backline: Maxwell N.Brown Shaw
Half Backline: O'Brian Reid Toovey
Wing: Krakouer Pendlebury Thomas
Half Forward: Sidebottom Cloke Didak
Forward: Dick Dawes Macaffer
Rovers: Jolly Ball Swan
I/C: Beams L.Brown Wellingham
SUB: Tarrant

Emergencies: Johnson Rounds Buckley

I had a stab, I probably failed, but the team is so chock full of depth that it's hard to pick a 22 anymore.

Here's my guess:

B: Chris Tarrant, Nathan Brown, Nick Maxwell
HB:Alan Toovey, Ben Reid, Harry O'Brien
C:Heath Shaw, Dane Swan, Sharrod Wellingham
HF:Alan Didak, Travis Cloke, Dale Thomas
F:Steele Sidebottom, Chris Dawes, Dayne Beams
FOLL: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Luke Ball
INT:Andrew Krakouer, Leigh Brown, Brent Macaffer
SUB: Josh Thomas / Simon Buckley
EMG: Tyson Goldsack, Ben Johnson, Jarryd Blair

I think Dick will definitely come into the side but, I think he shouldn't be rushed in. I personally think that the sub should be a young player who can come in and experience a half a game or so, just in case they're needed later on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back