Rookie Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Technically he's not an international rookie, gideon simon and nathan malbak are our international rookies, and as such don't take up a spot on the list.

I can't wait to get a look at those two, particularly simon.

hey spluff, do you know what is happening with these guys? When they join training and are eligible to play etc?

I have high hopes for Gideon, I reckon he will be a better version of Roden, fingers crossed anyway.

you are right dude, WTF was I thinking, if they arent in the 10-13 yold age bracket then there is no use recruiting them. Has FJ been to any Auskicks during the year.? ;)
Probably scouting the Richmond members aged 1-10 years as we speak....:)

hey spluff, do you know what is happening with these guys? When they join training and are eligible to play etc?

I have high hopes for Gideon, I reckon he will be a better version of Roden, fingers crossed anyway.

I believe they're coming over this year on a scholarship to train with us. I don't think they're eligible to play an AFL game until next year, though.

So how many picks do we have without Miller and Heslin 5 or 6 picks?.I hope we get Willie Wheeler he had awsome season last year in the vfl one of the best debuts of a under 18 player from the tac cup boy can play.We need a key defender to as we lost Gourdis and Thursfield and Moore has issues to and Mcguane should be last option.Hartigan from the Werribee tigers maybe does anyone have info on him or any other Key backs ready to play right away?.The young boy from Coburg David Fahey looks like a big boy any info on him guys?.cheers

My Hopes Only
7 -PSD John McCarthy
7 -Rookie List-Josh Waldhunter
25-Sam Frost
43-Jack Frost
60-Kyle Hartigan
74- Gibson Turner
84 -Maric
90 -Heslin

I like the look of this, especially having the two Frost boys as Rookies. Would love to see Shane Nelson fit somewhere in here but there really isnt any room and its not like he is going to slide past the first round you wouldnt expect.

My Hopes Only
7 -PSD John McCarthy
7 -Rookie List-Josh Waldhunter
25-Sam Frost
43-Jack Frost
60-Kyle Hartigan
74- Gibson Turner
84 -Maric
90 -Heslin

theres every chance that sam frost waldhuter and turner are taken in the first round or psd in sam frosts case. i still think theres a chance mcarthy will end up at gws with one of their first 6 picks.

what we need is a psd rookie draft order. if gws do use all 6 picks they are likely to target mostly experienced players. sheedy has said they will use two psd picks so i will split the difference and use 4.

for me psd, pick 7, pick 25 i have a list of about 5 players who i hope are available at each pick.

psd
1 gws - s frost.
2 gws - ladson.
3 gws - bevan
4 gws - fevola.
5 gws - pass/ mcarthy
6 gws - pass/ dawson
7 suns - mcqualter
8 port - urquhart/lower/mcarthy
9 tiges - mccarthy
10 freo - dawson
11 dogs -austin.

rookie draft first 24 to be taken imo and as such only one available to us at 7. in no particular order.also dont rip into me this is highly speculative and is likely well off the mark.im just placing them in some sort of pecking order as far as i can gather. ive named who i think are the likely first 24 rookie picks imo.anyway hee goes.
boseley, waldhuter. darrou, eggar, nelson, florio, orval, shenton, spurr bolger, horsley, turner,shenton, cunningham, murphy, manson, sheahan,crisp, musicka, m williams, coleman, crook, shenton,gazzola.wheeler.
all up 30 odd gone before we have our second rookie pick.
i find it odd that we will use more picks psd and rookie than we will use in the nd in a yr when the nd itself was supposed to be very low on kids.if we use all 7 picks id like us to take at least 3 mature players 20 21 22 yrs of age who have shown enough in their state leagues and have good attributes. theres also a few talls about the place id like to see us have a look at a few of them.

I really rate Alex Benbow from Dandenong. Won the Morrish medal for best tac cup player and played for vic country. Some people I no at the club said he wasn't far behind Haynes and has a bigger body. Surely worth a rookie pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TAC Cup players to look out for in the Rookie Draft
Douglas Morris- Northern Knights
185cm/85kgs
D.O.B - 27/9/93
The captain of the Northern Knights had a stellar year in the TAC Cup competition. Morris played 17 games and amazingly was named in the Knights’ best players on 14 occasions, earning him a starting spot in the TAC Cup team of the year. He is a prolific ball winner who averaged over 30 possessions helping him finish 4rd in the Morrish Medal. Recruiters may query the speed and agility of Morris but they won’t question his heart, leadership and general football smarts. He would be very unlucky not to end up on an AFL list.
AFL Comparison- Brock McLean

Sam Frost- Sandringham Dragons
194cm/87kgs
D.O.B - 28/8/93
Frost is an extremely athletic key position defender who possesses elite speed and outstanding jumping ability. There are question marks on Frost’s disposal but he has shown enough to at least suggest that he is improving in this area. Frost has enormous upside but may take a few years to develop into a quality AFL player. Expect him to go very early in the rookie draft.
AFL Comparison- Alex Rance

Nick Maric- Northern Knights
175cm/75kgs
D.O.B – 5/1/93
Nick was always going to struggle because of his size. He plays as a true small forward and like his brother, former Melbourne Demon Addam, he rarely misses an opportunity to get on the scoreboard. Maric finished the TAC Cup season with 37 goals, ranked 2nd in the competition. He was also named in the Knights best players in 10 out of a possible 17 matches. Maric is a solid tackler for his size but needs to find more consistency as he tends to float in and out of games. He is an outside chance to be drafted.
AFL Comparison- Jarryd Blair

Andrew Boseley- Geelong Falcons
194cm/80kgs
D.O.B – 4/9/92
Boseley was invited back to play with the Geelong Falcons as a 19 year-old and he grasped his opportunity. He is a lanky key position defender in the Dustin Fletcher mould with really long arms, good closing speed and the ability to run off his opponent. However, like many young key position prospects, Bosely could do with a few pre-seasons in the gym. Boseley took some big scalps this year, which is sure to see him taken as a project player in Tuesday’s draft.
AFL Comparison- a very raw Dustin Fletcher

Ben Darrou- Sandringham Dragons
190cm/91kgs
D.O.B - 25/11/93
Unfortunately for Darrou he is at an awkward height. He is too small to be your regular key position defender but too solid to be a natural half back flanker. While his fitness is not supreme he is a true warrior. Darrou averaged 4.5 tackles per game and does all of the team things that a coach would love. He shows great composure out of the backline and is fantastic by both hand and foot. He always makes himself available to a teammate in trouble. Darrou was named in Sandringham’s best players in 9 out of 13 matches and played an important role in their road to the TAC Cup premiership. He also represented Vic Metro in the under-18 championships.
AFL Comparison- Josh Gibson

Jai Sheahan- Geelong Falcons
194cm/85kgs
D.O.B – 27/1/93
Quite versatile but has played most of his footy as a key position forward. Sheahan kicked 36 goals from 17 games in the TAC Cup and was named in the Falcons’ best players 10 times. He is a strong mark and shows great mobility and athleticism around the ground. Jai can also pinch hit for spells in the ruck.
AFL Comparison- he has stated that he is a similar player to Drew Petrie

Michael Bussey- Eastern Ranges
196cm/81kgs
D.O.B – 5/7/93
Bussey is versatile and extremely gifted athletically. He played his best football as a key position defender for the Eastern Ranges and also represented Vic Metro in the under 18 championships. Bussey needs to become more of a physical presence, which will happen with a few AFL pre-seasons under his belt. Nevertheless, he certainly has the attributes deserving of a spot on an AFL list.
AFL Comparison- Jackson Trengove

Jack Crisp- Murray Bushrangers
190cm/81kgs
D.O.B - 2/10/93
Represented Vic Country at the national championships. Crisp plays as medium forward with his best asset being his defensive pressure. Crisp is a left footer who averaged 19 touches in the TAC Cup, showing the ability to take strong marks, kick goals and even push into the midfield when required. He was very unlucky not to be selected in the national draft.
AFL Comparison- Liam Shiels

For those overlooked in last month's draft, tomorrows rookie and pre-season drafts offers a second chance. The Age's draft expert, Emma Quayle, highlights the likely prospects.

LAUCHLAN DALGLEISH
Midfielder, 184cm, 76kg
From North Ballarat Rebels
Dalgleish won the 120-metre Terang Gift in 12.25 seconds three days after missing out in the national draft. Starred at the draft combine after five weeks off with a punctured lung, finishing top five in the clean hands test, the agility run, the 20-metre sprint and the repeat sprint test. A club should choose him in the hope that his running ability becomes even more damaging.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/consolation-prize-20111211-1opwi.html#ixzz1gGYsSqWJ

hmm im still going to say we should have gone with 2 psd picks.
we are taking mccarthy in the psd im not sure that is the way to go. i sort of hope port jump in front of us.

anyway at pick 7 id like one of
tom lee or sam frost kpds. failing that one of horsley, waldhuter, we will only get one of these. by the time pick 25 comes around the eyes will have picked out.
pick 25. im going to be optimistic anyway. we need med/sml forwards. one of
gibson turner or willie wheeler both smalls. or one of jack crisp or max duffy both mediums. add one of these to go with macdonald the only true sml/med forward we have imo.
have a feeling none will be available here.

id be happy with an out come of
psd
obviously we are taking mccarthy. so be it.
7 horsley mid/waldhuter/mid.bussey tall, lee tall, farmer utility.
25 duffy med/for.horsley mid. turner sml
43 wheeler sml/. turner sml.mirra med.
61 matt suckling norwood mature.sam dwyer mature/sml/mid.
74 tom sundberg another mature . mark austen mature kpd.wilson mature for.
84 heslin

just going to add change a few before tomorrow.

For those overlooked in last month's draft, tomorrows rookie and pre-season drafts offers a second chance. The Age's draft expert, Emma Quayle, highlights the likely prospects.

LAUCHLAN DALGLEISH
Midfielder, 184cm, 76kg
From North Ballarat Rebels
Dalgleish won the 120-metre Terang Gift in 12.25 seconds three days after missing out in the national draft. Starred at the draft combine after five weeks off with a punctured lung, finishing top five in the clean hands test, the agility run, the 20-metre sprint and the repeat sprint test. A club should choose him in the hope that his running ability becomes even more damaging.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/consolation-prize-20111211-1opwi.html#ixzz1gGYsSqWJ

sounds like a good prospect. be great once he puts some weight on too.

The main players I'm interested for us tomorrow are Jack Charlston, Daniel Garside, Matt Suckling, Louis Egger and Willie Wheeler.

Medium forwards are a real weakness in our list so maybe guys like O'Hanlon, Macciti, Shenton and Harding are a possibility.

Of course we'll most likely not take any of these guys and grab left field smokies that will muck us all go "what the?!".

Should be interesting to see who we go for.

The main players I'm interested for us tomorrow are Jack Charlston, Daniel Garside, Matt Suckling, Louis Egger and Willie Wheeler.

Medium forwards are a real weakness in our list so maybe guys like O'Hanlon, Macciti, Shenton and Harding are a possibility.

Of course we'll most likely not take any of these guys and grab left field smokies that will muck us all go "what the?!".

Should be interesting to see who we go for.

I'll trade you Garside one of Charlston or Wheeler and a Bar - B - Mate TV

sound ok? :D

I'd be happy for you to take Garside if it means we get Charlston. We might be able to take both if you guys grab Valenti early.

You could do us a favor and take A. Maric so we don't draft him ;)

3 sml/med forwards we lacked for both.
3 med/tall defenders we lacked for tall defenders anyway
0 mids we could have done with a couple.

imo i think they did pretty well. they addressed some needs and the selections themselves seem to be decent.

only got two gripes really.
1/ please note this is a preference thing but when the ready to go mid in mccarthy was taken i would have taken the ready to go mid horsley. people do know ive been keen on him.
this is in no way is a detraction from ohanlon he sure looks like a good psd pick and he sure as hell meets a glaring list need.horsley would have given us one genuine mid pick.

2/ not useing pick 84. again most people know ive been keen on mature types and have focused on talls.
would have liked one of 18 yo michael bussey or 20yo tom lee here. both really good sized athletic kpds. failing that i would have liked the pick to go on one of a young mature type like wheeler mirra and a few others.
not complainhg though as stated i think for a psd rookie draft we have done well.

one other query the talls we took may be tall enough to play kp at tac cup etc but are they tall enough to play kp in the afl.

Surprised we didn't take a tall forward/ruckman but I guess Elton will be that sort of development player.

Considering next years draft is supposedly very good and we will have a few picks inside the top 40 I hope we attack midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back