Rohan Connolly

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan seems to think fondly of NMFC..
Rohan,

With respect the recruiting decisions of North Melbourne, do you know if the same recruiting staff remain at North who were responsible for the following personnel decisions:

1. Jonathan Hay - unmitigated error;
2. Leigh Colbert - commendably courageous, but ultimately a very expensive failure by every other standard. By the end of his tenure, he could barely kick 40 metres;
3. Nathan Thompson - superior to the preceding two, but was an aged recruit and is now retired;
4. Corey McKernan - a former great, to bring him back seemed absurd, lasting for one mediocre season;
4. David Hale - in a very poor year for the team, his performances have been reasonable, but his renewed contract should be 2 years at very best, not 3.

Yes, retrospection is an exact science, but it is hard to see how North can resurrect its glory years within 5 years. Perhaps we need to bottom out and gain favourable drafts - Laidley's reference to our near-miss in securing Cyril Rioli is a poignant one. In any case, I am genuinely excited by Darren Crocker's approach thus far ... maybe there is something in that soup he mentioned?

Hi Greg,
The recruiting set-up has changed in the last year. Neville Stibbard was replaced and now Bryce Lewis and Cameron Joyce are in charge. But to be fair, those examples you cite with the exception of Hale were senior-experienced pick-ups which were the coach's call. I think their pool of young talent now is pretty handy. Re Crocker, he's a terrific guy with a lot of respect internally, and I hear his soup goes OK as well!
- Rohan Connolly

Posted by: Greg on June 25, 2009 12:48 PM

He is awesome. I know he spends a fair bit of time at the club, for an Essendon supporter that is a fair effort. One of the few journalists that can seriously call themselves a journalist. How often do Caro or Smith waddle down to the club? When a coach resigns?

It is one thing to have pot shots from a distance, but you should take the time to get to know the club you are prepared to kill with words of venom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan Connolly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back