Richmond to take Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think Eddie would give a fats rats clacker if we were going to pick up a kid like Klemke or redraft Gourdis? Of course he wouldn't, but because we may pick up one of the best midfielders in the last decade he is on the radio within the hour beating his chest saying the Pies will not be voting for it.

I also have no doubt in my mind that if it were the Pies who were making the application he would have been on the radio stating the clubs case as to why they should be given the opportunity to give Cousins a second chance... stating that they have his best interests at heart. However because of the advice of Comissioner Nixon they dropped Cousins like a hot potato when they had all but agreed to take him.

Finally, as far as I know Richmonds position is still the same it was in the paper last weekend where Cameron came out and stated catergorically that we weren't going to take Cousins in the PSD.

Bloody oath I do.

Same process would've occurred:
1.Richmond applies to AFL
2.AFL asks other clubs for opinions
3.Eddie chips in

Granted, Eddie acted swiftly tonight - but in my opinion (and apparently yours as well) Eddie would kick up a stink about any extra pick any club had for (almost) any reason.

He didn't like Sydney and Brisbane getting some dosh on the side, he doesn't even like subscribing to the alternate strip policy. Anything that has the smallest chance of rocking his Collingwood boat is shot down pronto. As you say:

I also have no doubt in my mind that if it were the Pies who were making the application he would have been on the radio stating the clubs case as to why they should be given the opportunity to give Cousins a second chance...

This is beginning to get into Eddie-bashing rather than the issue in any case.

Come on pal. Can't you see that most people who love footy just want to see the best on the park and blokes who need it get a second chance.

Sounds like someone is scared the Tigers are coming. Wonder who beat you last. That's right the Tigers by 5 goals due to superior coaching and team comittment. Honestly I thought that your blokes did well and were happy for you when you won but here you are just being petty.

Enjoy your success and let a bloke and a team have something to aim for.

Wrong.

Adelaide Hawk has been against the cousins redrafting ever since it looked like a possibility. Nothing to do with the tigers so relax on that one.

:D

And here's the Richmond supporters calling for compassion!

Egan will probably never play again. What has Polak lost that Egan hasn't?
Dont guess, give us facts!

As far as I'm concerned, the long term injury list covers situations like this. If thats not good enough for richmond, they're getting greedy.
You are spot on!!

As far as I'm concerned, the long term injury list covers situations like this. If thats not good enough for richmond, they're getting greedy.

Dont forget his teammate, Tom Lonergan, who lost a Kidney and his club just had to carry him through his recovery!!!

Um, Polak would have big difficulty holding down most jobs. Egan can probably count himself out of the New York marathon. I think there is a difference, not to mention that Egan's injury may well have been exacerbated by his activities leading up to the 07 GF. And was at no point lifethreatening.

If Tom Lonergan was the Polak here, I'd have no hesitation in OK-ing it.

Not sure what the fuss is - we're only picking a player that absolutely no-one else wants. What's the big deal? You should be stoked that we're taking on such a deadbeat;)

Birds of a feather, flock together!!! You are not THAT ignorant surely..
and you are a Richmond supporter!!!

Just not sure how that makes them lesser people? If anyone stuffs up, esp Cousins, then they get the boot. No issues. So, what's the "trouble" we're exposing ourselves to?

Would rather a funtime guy than a proven liar, drunkard and associate of a murderer at my club.

Um, Polak would have big difficulty holding down most jobs. Egan can probably count himself out of the New York marathon. I think there is a difference, not to mention that Egan's injury may well have been exacerbated by his activities leading up to the 07 GF. And was at no point lifethreatening.

Not sure what the fuss is - we're only picking a player that absolutely no-one else wants. What's the big deal? You should be stoked that we're taking on such a deadbeat;)

hahaha great call :thumbsu:

Maybe you should check her profile? Think you will find shes from melbourne - just now works in US
Yeah after i posted i saw, but still even if shes as experienced as she says it is
Has she witnessed it?
Shes not even in australia now, so how could she know all that much about what happened to polak, and from what shes written it doesnt look like it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would have no idea how Polak would perform in a job. Too much supposition going on here based on ranting Richmond supporters and their baseless information.
All we know is the bloke was unfortunately injured and he is slowly recovering.
Everything else is unsubstantiated crap.

If Polak cant play yet, put him on the LTI list. That's what the structure is there for.
If thats not good enough, move on and get over it.

There really are some moronic comments on here from people who obviously have no idea about the draft situation. If Richmond are granted the Rama rule for Polak then they get an extra senior player pick to replace him and that will be pick 7 and as they already have pick 6 it doesn't really matter which one they use.
Tthat's right. That is how it would work. He should be placed on the long-term injury list though and a rookie should be promoted in his place.
Perhaps the club hadn't got the latest update on Polaks condition before this week. Word floating around on other fan sites is he is suffering complications that he hadn't been suffereing from. Maybe that is why the club has made the application today instead of jumping the gun a few weeks ago.
I haven't heard anything about this. Do you have a link or source to show that his situation has deteriorated? From what I have read, his progress hasn't changed and that Richmond have simply decided to attempt to do the same thing that Essendon did with Adam Ramanauskas.
Having a relative in care with head trauma I find you dismissing 'disability' and claiming 'injury' as distasteful.
Toughen up will you? Trauma is a wound or shock produced by a sudden injury caused by violence or an accident. If you're going to be offended by me correctly stating that Graham Polack is suffering from a head injury, then you appear quite soft.

It is a risk, because of his well documented situation. What if he is tested posivitely tested during the season? Or he has lost all form and struggles to make an impact because of his extended period out of the game? Not only would a valuable pick be wasted but Wallace and the RFC would all of a sudden become more insecure.

GTF, I understand where you are coming from. I too were in limbo over the Cousins saga for ages. However it's a PSD 2nd pick. A lot of balls are in our favour, and I'm pretty sure Cousins will do pretty much what an AFL team outlines to secure a lifeline to resume his AFL career.

PSD Picks are always risks. You say 'what if' in a negative tone, but WHAT IF he regains form that dubbed him a superstar?? WHAT IF he is the chink that the RFC so desperately needed? WHAT IF the new scenery IS just what he needed? He already knows what lays ahead of him with regards to testing, so I am sure the Tigers in the next few days will talk to Cuz and Mgmt and discuss this length.

GTF, i too think it is a risk, but did anyone see what one S.Dew brought to the Hawks this year? Okay, not the same issue with drugs, but hey so many people thought the Hawks did something regretful yet he now has a medal around his neck.....

Second chances aren't handouts, but superstars need to be considered when it matters.

Wow a lot of people here missing a few points and realisations.
1st - The comparison of Rama and Polak. Some people saying it's a different situation some saying it's the same, think back. When Essendon applied to put Rama on the rookie list because of his illness and inability to play West coast did the same for Brad Smith.
Rama had already played over 100 games and played in a premiership team. Brad Smith had not played a game of senior footy but suffered back to back Knee reco's in two years. Every coach in the comp agreed that Brad Smith and the Eagles should be affordered the same favour as Essendon but the AFL said NO. Essendon kept Rama who ended up playing on (good on him great story) but Eagles had to drop Brad Smith to free up room on their player list.

2nd - Polak nearly died. It is a near miracle he is still alive. He will not play AFL footy this year. If he ever does play AFL footy again it will be akin to when Jason Macartney came back and played for Nth Melb and it will be inspirational.

3rd - B.C. Still has something to offer the AFL, a club in the AFL and others who have been or are in his situation. Look at the stats and you will see he is the Greatest player to ever play for the Eagles.
Yes he F-d up, yes he had a problem which by all reports he is/trying to deal with.

4th - The AFL as a sport and a leading national sport has the opportunity to really make an example here. They can basically say if you do drugs and admit to having a problem you are pretty much gone and you may as well just give up. Or, they can say it is never to late to clean up and recover. If you are willing to admit to a problem and seek help we are committed to helping and set an example for others in the same position.

5th - It is the AFL who have the final word and jsut like the on field game which is a little up/down and inconsistant so are the guy's that run it. You never know what they are going to do until they do and most of the time you sit back and go:confused::rolleyes::confused:

I for one would like to not roll my eyes at this one and see the AFL do the right thing, for a rare time, and do whatever they can to accomadate the Tigers and B.C.

(pardon any grammer or spelling mistakes I aint proof reading that all):D

So did Ramanaskus.

Whats your point - thats its not a problem to lose a Kidney?

On the contrary, I know Lonergan was close to death. See my earlier post. If it was Lonergan in this situation and the Cats had just received advice that he would not play this year, and likely ever again, but he was still contracted, I would completely understand the justification in seeking a replacement and not leaving the list short.

Point was that Polak has lost more than Egan.... though you came in late it seems.

I for one would like to not roll my eyes at this one and see the AFL do the right thing, for a rare time, and do whatever they can to accomadate the Tigers and B.C.

(pardon any grammer or spelling mistakes I aint proof reading that all):D

Hark! The voice of reason!

Bravo, hear hear and goodnight.

Cousins rehab = good for football and good for society. Bring it on...

Egan may have lost his career because of a football related incident. Polak may have lost his career because of a tram, big difference. As I said earlier as far as I'm concerned if Polaks injury was a result of a collision on the field then LTI him and elevate a rookie. Any club that could possibly lose or does lose a player because of circumstances outside of football should be allowed compensation. Essendon were with regards Rama, Melbourne were regarding Broadbridge, Richmond should regarding Polak.

I also agree that the timing of the application is a bit suspect. But as I mentioned earlier, they may not have had an update regarding Polak until this week and have since then decided to take this course of action.

Perhaps it is best if we all relax and wait until the meeting next Monday and see what transpires. As it seems the same arguement is being repeated page after page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back