Regarding Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Slattery is first picked every week. I love having him in our side and so does every single person at the club whose opinion actually matters and know what they are talking about. Well done Slats!

FFS, are we really asking if Slatts is in our best 22?

Please all you Slatts haters, go to the class "Understanding AFL 101" then come back to this site.

Thankyou.

This is not just a reaction to yesterday (specifically he was putrid last week as well) he has a history.

I will acknolwedge his strenghts before getting tuck in because it is only fair. He is up there with the most courageous players in the league (evidenced by his mark in the thrid quarter to cut of a Riewoldt lead). Henry can also do the occassional stopping role on some of the more average small forwards in the game.

The major issue I have is that Slattery simply cannot play the game. The first thing Slattery supporters will do in response to this will point to a game where he arguably beat someone of the ilk of Didak as evidence that he has a role to play. Arguably, he beat Milne one on one last night as well. There major issue with the line of argument is that by vitrue of their role, small forwards don't gusually get much of the ball and fade in and out of games which is as much the result of their own team as it is the performance of the backman. Just beating one of these players is not good enough, especially when we need good decision makers (and users of the ball) coming out of the areas that Slattery oftenfinds himself.

The win last night paints over a few cracks from last week that are still there. The major crack is our system of bringing the ball out of defence (our players still dont actually understan when to handball the ball). More often than not when we turn the ball over without even kicking the thing Slattey is involved. The stats dont reflect just how much he turns the ball over because he doesn't kick the thing.

The insistance that we need Slattery has to stop. His role is essentially simple andcan be taught to a player like Houli who can actually play the game.

Slattery is a liability whose output is negative most weeks.

Exactly right with everything you write there. Houli or Atkinson can do his role and have more impact with better disposal and better pace and skill

I thought he was quite good early, took a couple of gutsy marks going back with the flight, and held the tip rat early on. There were patches where he looked at his clumsy best when the pressure was on late in the game, he made me sh!t myself on a couple of occasions.

In all seriousness I thought the good things he did early on far outweighed the bad things so good on him.

FFS, are we really asking if Slatts is in our best 22?

Please all you Slatts haters, go to the class "Understanding AFL 101" then come back to this site.

Thankyou.

+1. Morons the lot of 'em! Slatts does his job every week and would be one of the first players picked. He was fantastic yesterday. Some of his efforts to win the ball were phenomenal. He gets bagged each week for making 1 mistake that costs a goal. Pathetic!

The only conclusion that I can think of when threads like these have been created is that the poster/s have a vendetta against Henry because for some reason, when he stuffs up, its magnified x1000.

Watson's poor decision making directly cost us two goals last night, where are the threads on this?

Nuffies, the lot of ya.

Like I said, his turnovers are not refelcted in stats.

They are handballs to players under pressure, refusing to kick the ball even though he should and other poor decisions.

I think Slattery played a great part in St Kilda not winning. He has to play the role given to him and he did that well. I can tell you this much: he was one of the players who was exhausted towards the end of the game. We had no fit player left on the bench. In fact there was only one guy left for interchange. No one could get any rest on the bench!!

I don't mind you bad mouthing a player if he does bad, but be fair and look at the contribution Henry made to St Kilda not winning. If you want to pick on someone, go find a St Kilda player who didn't play well. That should satisfy your anger.

Sure Slattery mightnt be a 'brilliant' player. He is a workhorse, and does his job for the team. Pick any premiership side and they will have atleast one of these guys. He is an essential part of our team and I dare say he would be one of the first players picked every week. Put him down as a top 10 B&F certainty.

Hocking is not a better option, Houli did not do a better job.
I haven't seen Houli do what Slattery did in front of Roo and Kosi last night.

Winderlich, Dyson and Welsh are midfielders.

Reimers and Dempsey are attacking half back flankers.

Why would we rob ourselves of attacking players to remove a bloke who does his job every week?

Milne had 13 touches and kicked 1 goal against Houli, while Houli had it 24 times in a game that we lost. Milne had 12 touches and kicked 3 goals against Slattery, who had 14 touches. How exactly did Houli not do a better job?

Have a look at the Geelong game and compare the performances on Steve Johnson of Hocking in the first quarter and Hank for the rest of the game. Hocking is a better player by amassive margin.

Winderlich, Dyson and Welsh have all played in the backline. They are just capable of playing elsewhere as well.

All defenders need to have an atacking side to their game. Dempsey and Reimers both can play on similer types of players, so the comparison is valid.

Instead of hurling insults, how about someone actually explain why they think Slattery is a better option than any one of these players. I'm happy to be wrong about him, I'd love him to be agood player. The problem is that he just isn't!

Slattery is a liability whose output is negative most weeks.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, his heart is in the right place but he's simply not good enough. Holds the ball up, gives away sloppy free kicks and gets caught at least once a week that results in a goal.

Milne had 13 touches and kicked 1 goal against Houli, while Houli had it 24 times in a game that we lost. Milne had 12 touches and kicked 3 goals against Slattery, who had 14 touches. How exactly did Houli not do a better job?

Have a look at the Geelong game and compare the performances on Steve Johnson of Hocking in the first quarter and Hank for the rest of the game. Hocking is a better player by amassive margin.

Winderlich, Dyson and Welsh have all played in the backline. They are just capable of playing elsewhere as well.

All defenders need to have an atacking side to their game. Dempsey and Reimers both can play on similer types of players, so the comparison is valid.

Instead of hurling insults, how about someone actually explain why they think Slattery is a better option than any one of these players. I'm happy to be wrong about him, I'd love him to be agood player. The problem is that he just isn't!

I call for McVeigh to be moved down back, he was brilliant in '07 as the small defender/general. I'm sounding like a broken record, I've made this comment a shiteload! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly right with everything you write there. Houli or Atkinson can do his role and have more impact with better disposal and better pace and skill

Had Slattery been in the position Atkinson was last night, Riewoldt wouldn't have had a chance to win the game for them.

Actually, you're wrong. But I expected you to be subjected.

Milne kicked his first goal on Atkinson and kicked his second when Slattery went back in a pack to stop Kosi marking.

You're right, he would never had kicked that goal on Houli, because Kosi would have marked the ball.

You're not serious are you?

Hocking was moved off him and as a result Slattery had to go onto a bloke who was red hot.

Hocking is playing reserves and Slattery will finish top ten in our B&F. I can only conclude that Slattery is a better footballer than Hocking.

It isn't. Because taking them out of those roles and into a back pocket and a pure stopping role makes our side worse, not better.

Because Slattery beats his opponent most weeks.
He gets beaten, yes of course he does. So have Pears and Fletcher.

But he is reliable and he also makes the job of Pears, Hurley, Fletch and anyone else down there easier.

Hocking doesn't do that, Winderlich doesn't do that, Reimers doesn't do that, Atkinson doesn't do that, Houli doesn't do that. The only one that does is Dempsey and I'm pretty happy to leave him where he is at the moment.

All defenders need to have an atacking side to their game.

What Utter Garbage. Some of the best defenders have no attacking side to their game. Look at the likes of Max Hudghton, Darren Glass, Ben Rutten and Presti. They are great DEFENDERS. Defenders need to defend. anything else is a bonus.

Instead of hurling insults, how about someone actually explain why they think Slattery is a better option than any one of these players.
Slattery is in the side as a defender. if he isnt in the team, who becomes the small defender? Believe it or not, most teams have good small forwards. They need to be negated with defenders, not running players. Guys like Milne, Le Cras, Porplyzia and Betts demand respect. If players try to run off them, they will get hurt. Stop a good small forward and you go a long way to winning the game.

Like I said, his turnovers are not refelcted in stats.

This is where you start to lose any semblance of credibility. His turnovers are not reflected in stats because you blame a goal which comes when Slatts didn't make up a 20m lead to a player who isn't his opponent who kicked a goal.

Then as the game progresses, that one goal which was supposedly Slatts' fault becomes 2 goals or 3 goals, as you extrapolate, and suddenly, it's Slatts' fault that St Kilda beat us by 105 points last year.

You sound just like my dad.

He played great on Sunday night. Is starting to read the ball more and attack it. He is no star and maybe not good enough to be in our backline forever, but for now he is doing a good job and I can't see anyone who would warrant replacing him.

Until we get a gun player to replace him, he is gonna stay around. Atleast look at one fact: he barely gets injured.

If he eliminated the couple of silly things a game he does he would be pretty good.

I don't think you could be more wrong. Mulitple times last night when the game was in the balance he put his body on the line and won some massive hard ball.

You may be able to teach a player how to defend but you cannot teach a player to show the courage of Slats and win the hard ball. That is all guts and instinct.

I thought he was one of our best players last night and a key to our defense going forward.

Agree, he was close to going in my votes...Puts his head over it every single time and his decision making by foot is getting better and better as he gets more experienced.

The guys playing in a position where every mistake is magnified... same errors made in the forward 50 are forgotten within minutes... Slatts coughs it up and people want him axed...

Did a great stopping job yesterday...Happy with what he brings to the table every week... you always know that he'll give 100%...

You're not serious are you?

Hocking was moved off him and as a result Slattery had to go onto a bloke who was red hot.

Hocking is playing reserves and Slattery will finish top ten in our B&F. I can only conclude that Slattery is a better footballer than Hocking.

Hocking was on him in the first quarter and had 1 goal kicked on him, he kicked 5 more for the game, all on Hank. You need to get your facts straight.

You are correct that Hocking is playing reserves and Hank probably will do well in our B&F, because the coaches seem to think he contributes something, I just can't see what.

Actually, you're wrong. But I expected you to be subjected.

Milne kicked his first goal on Atkinson and kicked his second when Slattery went back in a pack to stop Kosi marking.

You're right, he would never had kicked that goal on Houli, because Kosi would have marked the ball.

Those stats are correct, check them yourself. Also try to use the English language, I don't understand Bogan particularly well.

What Utter Garbage. Some of the best defenders have no attacking side to their game. Look at the likes of Max Hudghton, Darren Glass, Ben Rutten and Presti. They are great DEFENDERS. Defenders need to defend. anything else is a bonus.

They are all Full Backs, I suggest you choose some more reasonable comparisons if you are going to mount an intelliget argument.

You are correct that Hocking is playing reserves and Hank probably will do well in our B&F, because the coaches seem to think he contributes something, I just can't see what.
I think the reason why the coaches love Henry and why he will poll highly is because he gives it his all, he never backs down from a contest and does reasonable jobs against the best small fowards in the business

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back