Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what I was responding to:
We are fighting for a position in the 8, which is a good recovery from a poor year last season
I was simply saying that comparing our 'good recovery 2024' to our 'poor 2023' at the same stage we were both fighting for the 8 and looking pretty reasonable.
No assumptions about our future, just realism.
And, extra bit of realism, we had 12 pre-bye games in 2024, not 11, so maybe 0.75 games better is more accurate.
I thought we would beat the dogs because they had plenty of injuries, we beat them comfortably a few games back, we have travelled well this year and, despite Melbourne being poor, I thought our previous game was a sign of us beginning to function well as a team. I also thought it would be a sign of our growing maturity as a team that coming off the bye would be less of an issue than previous years. I was hopelessly wrong. On that note I move to my predictions for the rest of the year.
I have us winning our home games and losing our aways for 6 wins, 13.5 for the season and a solid Top 8 finish.
Having said that, and knowing this is the optimism thread, I am dreading Harley and his 22 go-go dancers. God help us if we drop that one. LFG.
Dunk Fail GIF

I can get on board with all of this - and understand the reasoning.

My thoughts are that a top eight finish, even if it is finishing in eighth spot is a good result for the year.

And the eagles... if we lose that I may lose my optimism for the year.

We are fighting for a position in the 8, which is a good recovery from a poor year last season
I was simply saying that comparing our 'good recovery 2024' to our 'poor 2023' at the same stage we were both fighting for the 8 and looking pretty reasonable.
And, extra bit of realism, we had 12 pre-bye games in 2024, not 11, so maybe 0.75 games better is more accurate.
I thought we would beat the dogs because they had plenty of injuries, we beat them comfortably a few games back, we have travelled well this year and, despite Melbourne being poor, I thought our previous game was a sign of us beginning to function well as a team. I also thought it would be a sign of our growing maturity as a team that coming off the bye would be less of an issue than previous years. I was hopelessly wrong. On that note I move to my predictions for the rest of the year.
I have us winning our home games and losing our aways for 6 wins, 13.5 for the season and a solid Top 8 finish.
Having said that, and knowing this is the optimism thread, I am dreading Harley and his 22 go-go dancers. God help us if we drop that one. LFG.
Dunk Fail GIF
Did we ever look reasonable last year until we put Young into the midfield at the end of the season?

Before the bye last season we'd lost to St Kilda, North, Adelaide, Dogs @home, and Brisbane.

We've reversed all those results this season.

And I was of the belief at the time that our winning streak before the bye last season was significantly benefited by playing 3 teams with significant players missing from the midfield.

We do look much better this season and we should make finals.

Dunk Fail GIF
All fair enough. I'm not really into blind optimism anyway. Still not convinced that our midfield, can back up regularly enough in its present form. We have had a few less obliterations to this point but if they follow the recent trends we may fall away again in the second part of the year. Hopefully the coaches don't just sit there and watch it fall apart this year and make changes or at the very least freshen the midfield up.

All fair enough. I'm not really into blind optimism anyway. Still not convinced that our midfield, can back up regularly enough in its present form. We have had a few less obliterations to this point but if they follow the recent trends we may fall away again in the second part of the year. Hopefully the coaches don't just sit there and watch it fall apart this year and make changes or at the very least freshen the midfield up.
do you know where you are emma stone GIF by MANIAC

I love how Sturt has improved and I look forward to seeing him with the same bursts of speed on Sunday

He has been a positive over the last few weeks. If he can lock in that mid sized forward role and kick goals we are a step close to an elite forward line. Only a small crumbing forward or two away.

It is a big deal that he is looking good. I hope that when he has a down game he is left in the team. Let's see what he looks like for the rest of the year.

He has been a positive over the last few weeks. If he can lock in that mid sized forward role and kick goals we are a step close to an elite forward line. Only a small crumbing forward or two away.

It is a big deal that he is looking good. I hope that when he has a down game he is left in the team. Let's see what he looks like for the rest of the year.
Small sample size, but averaging 2 goals a game, same as Treacy and ahead of Amiss and Banfield who are our next best.

Small sample size, but averaging 2 goals a game, same as Treacy and ahead of Amiss and Banfield who are our next best.

If he can average anything over a goal a game he takes pressure of Amiss, Treacy and Jackson. Which will give them more space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how Sturt has improved and I look forward to seeing him with the same bursts of speed on Sunday
I want him to get a full run of Games.

He is out of contract too.

Would be epic if he does what Michael Walters did at the 2nd half of 2012 and kick 20-25 goals in the last 10-12 games of the season, including a final or 2.

If the trend continues we've got one more turdy performance left for the year and a whole lotta competitive hitouts, between those and the deathride that sounds like a bloody good year of Freo fandom. Heck yeah.

There is so much to look forward too. I am enjoying the deathride and our season.

I think we win this week and will lock in a win against the hawks in tassie. We will beat the eagles and find at least four other wins.

Jye is going to have a strong end to the season. I wouldn't be surprised if he is anywhere from two goals behind treacy's total or two goals in front.

Jackson is going to have a four goal game before the end of the year as well.

Much to enjoy!

Sturt playing well is a positive sign. Does anyone know how long it took Bayley Fritsch to cement his position in Melbournes best 22. People keep wanting Sturt to turn into that type of player, so would be interesting to compare. Hair is on a par!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back