Review Rd 9: Freo keep rolling against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

It's so funny how you can tell that Suma actually writes those player ratings himself compared to the articles with his name on them.

The ratings sound like someone who knows a fair bit about footy and nothing about writing, where the articles (while objectively bad from a content perspective) are written more eloquently than anyone would credit Peter with.

I wonder how many on here remember the Steve Malaxos reports of our WAFL players. "He played a good game and had some good kicks. Did some good things".

I think the clear best part of Treacy's game was absolutely his work up the ground. Took so many important marks that got us forward in a way that Tabs used to when he was at his best/actually in the team. That up the ground presence is going to make a whole lot of difference here on out

I think the clear best part of Treacy's game was absolutely his work up the ground. Took so many important marks that got us forward in a way that Tabs used to when he was at his best/actually in the team. That up the ground presence is going to make a whole lot of difference here on out

The turn, burst, bounce and fast ball to HFF was something that we haven't had since Pav. Could be an absolute weapon if we get more of that regularly.

yep think Taylor has been going on about that for a while, contested marks between the arcs facilitate ball movement when things slow down and we dont have a quick counter on. having darcy, treacy and jackson starting to all take grabs is a great sign, should only get better as well. jackson and treacy particularly are also very mobile which just adds an extra dimension for us.

might not be so good every week this year but think we can all see the pieces coming together now

General principle in footy is don't change what's working. Before the Sydney game Amiss was 15 goals, 7 behinds. That's pretty good accuracy.

I agree his routine is unconventional, and my fear is that it may break down in a big final, but so long as it is working you don't change it.

How exactly is his routine unconventional? He does get too close to the man in the mark, but the slow walk in is the same as Plugger, Lloyd and Fevola who are the most accurate kicks of the modern age. Amiss has a beautiful ball drop. The problem when you run in is the ball goes all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thats true...

Its bad enough we let go of rory lobb.

Traecy and Taberner are similar players. Both are around 195 cm. Both can be damaging when you play to their strengths.
As it stands today...

Treacy is tracking to be a star of the comp...

Tabs is not going to get better or likely even recover his best...

We play Treacy!

I am often saddened when yesterdays champs stay too long.

As it stands today...

We play Treacy!

I know you're replying to another post, but they are not similar players and they're at opposite ends of their careers. Tabs has not stayed too long and he is fully entitled to compete for a spot when he has got himself right. But if he is selected again it will be because we have injuries or the rebuild has run aground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How exactly is his routine unconventional? He does get too close to the man in the mark, but the slow walk in is the same as Plugger, Lloyd and Fevola who are the most accurate kicks of the modern age. Amiss has a beautiful ball drop. The problem when you run in is the ball goes all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
the legends you mentioned had more fluency though. They walked from longer. I think Amiss is unconventional in his lack of momentum. I thought this of Josh Kennedy as well, but he was an amazing kick, both with and without his stutter.

I guess we only pick on routines when they stop working. I'd like to see a little more momentum from Amiss, but his kicking has been pretty good for a while, hopefully this is just a slight bump.

If Tabs plays it's because he has outworked Treacy or Treacy has been outworked at AFL level by his opponent and Taberner has kicked five goals two weeks in a row at Peel AND the Dockers have been losing because we can't seem to take a mark inside fifty.
In other words, the rebuild has hit a wall. In any case, Tabs is not giving us what Treacy gave us Saturday.

As it stands today...

We play Treacy!

Im a massive fan of both of them - Tabs when fit is a great CHF, the problem is he has rarely been fully fit. Once he's not 100% he's ordinary.

With where the list is at, we just need to keep playing Treacy, he's the future, and although he can be up and down i love the way he plays - we need to get games into him and Amiss working together. Sadly that means if Tabs ever gets fit again he'll be a depth player. Can't see him being back this year after his back surgery - whilst his back may have healed he'll have other weaknesses. That surgery really takes a good 12 months to get over and back to normal. Even small symptoms like numbness in the feet can take 6-12 months to recover. I've been down that pathway before.

That’s a huge call! Depending on what we would need to give up I would love a 45+ goal a year forward. Would put us in the window for pretty much the entirety of Brayshaw, Darcy, Serong, young, Chapman and amiss career
Might be an overreach. That’s a lot of freakin goals. Still, if he can storm up and down the wings taking massive hangers over his puny opponents and kick a couple a week, he’d be handy

He looked impressive like his draft highlight reel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back