AFLW Rd 5, Richmond vs Port 24/09 7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Halfway thru the season at the end of the north game.
Hope Shevlin is alright seemed to be moving pretty well after the game.

Grieser is a lot better trying for chest marks if it’s a wrestle
Greiser now playing her best footy since arriving at tigerland ,,,fir first time looks a threat when the ball goes near her , and she tackles to . KB in ripping form , with millzy down there , hosko who was bloody quiet , we have a very good f50:

If Sheerin gets a week for the sling tackle and Shevlin misses cause of her ankle we lose massively for their run and carry. Plus a 5 day break doesnt help.
I reckon all three come under scrutiny and we couldn’t be that lucky that all get off , here’s hoping
Millzy
Laura mc
Sheerin

On the days front yes agree. But if we lose two gun players in Shevlin and Sheerin that will surely hurt.
Anyway, we'll wait and see if they play as ill feel more confident about the possibility of winning if both are playing. .
Am expecting a good showing , we have beaten good sides before and I think we’re peaking now , tho room for improvement with our finishing in front of goal

Did look like we coasted to the finish.
3rd quarter equal scores last quarter they had a lot more I50’s and outscored us.
It was only a point but..

We do seem to try and put alotve F50 pressure and our backs don’t push up too high. Miller and others have been running at the ball (she’s looking good now Gabby is taking the marking threat)
I dunno if it was less pressure or Port tried to run it closer to the centre before kicking more often and got over that empty zone, probably both but I’m pretty sure Nth will have an approach to not let us have it all our own way.

It’d be awesome if
1. We don’t lose any players
2. It’s just an old fashioned shoot out between us and Nth.

Looking forward to it.

I reckon playing 3 matched in 10 days showed in that second half but we still stuck at it.

Playing 4th game in 15 days this Sunday so I'm not expecting much. If it was up to me I'd rest a few.

With Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, Essendon and Hawthorn to come we have more far important games ahead than the Nth one.

Finishing 9/2 isn't out of the question if we play it smart and stay healthy.

One thing I did notice is the trouble they were having in rotating players on and off the ground. I do think there needs to be work on that as goals could be leaked by that.

I reckon playing 3 matched in 10 days showed in that second half but we still stuck at it.

Playing 4th game in 15 days this Sunday so I'm not expecting much. If it was up to me I'd rest a few.

With Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, Essendon and Hawthorn to come we have more far important games ahead than the Nth one.

Finishing 9/2 isn't out of the question if we play it smart and stay healthy.
Norf are good but are not invincible as people are making out. Geelong got a draw from them and I don’t think we’re any worse than they are. There is enough quality in our team that we can match Norf.
Hope Maddy is fit this weekend.

One thing I did notice is the trouble they were having in rotating players on and off the ground. I do think there needs to be work on that as goals could be leaked by that.

On to something there....

1727230293047.png

Norf are good but are not invincible as people are making out. Geelong got a draw from them and I don’t think we’re any worse than they are. There is enough quality in our team that we can match Norf.
Hope Maddy is fit this weekend.

Maybe so. North has underachieved in this comp given the talent at their disposal and I think they are on a mission this year.

I just don't want our side to be cooked coming up to winnable games because we wanted to flex our muscles against Nth.
Need to pick our battles.

Norf have a 4 day break.
No excuses there
It's not even that both teams get 4 days / 5 days, yada yada yada.

It's how that 4 days impacts on the fitness of many of the players - it's like a magnifying glass on anyone a bit marginal. Where as, most players get up comfortably enough across seven days. North are a quite a seasoned squad, but even they can be susceptible in the wrong circumstances.

Greiser now playing her best footy since arriving at tigerland ,,,fir first time looks a threat when the ball goes near her , and she tackles to . KB in ripping form , with millzy down there , hosko who was bloody quiet , we have a very good f50:

Have noticed KB tackling players high on a regular basis - regular enough for her to be annoyed with herself about it.

Greiser has had better moments, but that was probably her best whole of the game with us. Getting up the ground as much as she does is interesting, not sure she's a 'getting out the back' sort of player. Was good support late in quarters though.

Hosking had terrible peripheral vision / awareness last night. Hopeful that improves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the go with Jones? Did I miss an injury?

Nope. Omitted after R1 and hasn’t been able to get her spot back.
Brennan, Greiser, Hosking, Yassir and Ford have been pretty good these last 4 weeks.

Are we a chance against norf?
Def , our f50 packs some serious heat , didn’t have the kicking boots on last night but sheesh we had like 20 scoring shots . We had a few down last night , Tess and hosko quiet , would love to see poppy return ,hoping she’s back in . Norf have some real guns and from memory their talls are qty , Moncon, Ellie Mc , sheerin and Greg’s will have work to do but they’re up to it

Always good to get a win but running into them at this point of the season I dunno we’ll get an accurate look at both teams.
Both us and Norths last quarters, the energy levels looked a little low.
Two things I’m interested in is how many marks they’re tall players clunk against us, they’ve got a few of ‘em and the other is how well we spread from stoppage and defend them getting out in the first half.
Riddell and Garner are having great seasons but Mia King is ave about 11 tackles a game as well as getting plenty of it.
Had 17 tackles against Port when they thumped em.

Always good to get a win but running into them at this point of the season I dunno we’ll get an accurate look at both teams.
Two things I’m interested in is how many marks they’re tall players clunk against us, they’ve got a few of ‘em and the other is how well we spread from stoppage and defend them getting out in the first half.
Riddell and Garner are having great seasons but Mia King is ave about 11 tackles a game as well as getting plenty of it.
They all had huge games v blues last night fwiw , our midfield class and depth is better than their recent opponents tho , so they’ll have plenty to think about

The overall tackle count in that Nth v Port game was insane. 129.

Jenna Bruton will also come in after being rested last night.

I think poppy isn’t going to be available at against Norf. Her wrist had a different bandage on it and it looked more than just a week off.

I like cj has genuine ability often bobs up for a goal , squanders a few easy ones which prob cost her a posi , tbh I think should be in ahead of bacon I’m ok with her getting some runs on the board right now tho , just for the mo

I like CJ too. Problem for her is that Yassir, Ford and Hosking are better defensively and with us winning, forward line clicking AND with those players hitting the scoreboard, its damn hard to break back into that forward line.

Don't see the CJ for Bacon idea. Bacon gives us a defensive option CJ can't. Moves well. Not getting a lot of it but finding her feet. Will be good. Think Charley Ryan is ahead of CJ too. Bit stiff to be dropped after the Giants game.

I like CJ too. Problem for her is that Yassir, Ford and Hosking are better defensively and with us winning, forward line clicking AND with those players hitting the scoreboard, its damn hard to break back into that forward line.

Don't see the CJ for Bacon idea. Bacon gives us a defensive option CJ can't. Moves well. Not getting a lot of it but finding her feet. Will be good. Think Charley Ryan is ahead of CJ too. Bit stiff to be dropped after the Giants game.
The other thing about Hosking, the other players are younger and newer additions.
Hoskings is a bit shifty and tries to cheat now and then and get out the back.
The newer/younger players might not be confident enough to risk getting the hairy eyeball from KB or the coach to try as many as she does.
I think she’s got into some good spots ahead of her def a cpl of times.

Kicked 4.3 so far ave 60% game time
That’s pretty good.

I think Bacon has more upside than either Jones or Ryan.
Problem is that they are probably fighting over the last spot and n the bench and therefore would only be getting 50% game time at most.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Rd 5, Richmond vs Port 24/09 7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back