Preview RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geel need to win , a few comments re players mentioned

Occonor cant agree someone said he played a good game last week , there is no creativity or dash with his play at present , he basically picks up the ball like a rugby league player , stands his ground and braces himself for the tacklers , as to say im not going to lose any territory , on last weeks game you could drop him

Mullin , ive been a supporter , thought he was improving , however he took giant strides backwards last week , he was terrible , looked totally lost , subbed off early in the 3rd qtr , on last weeks game you could drop him

Bowes was bitterly dissappointing last week , but has played some decent games this year so he will probably keep his spot , but last week you can see why Gold Coast got rid of him

I think Geel have to either promote players from the 2nds or try other senior players in the midfield

You think at times what good are assistant coaches , when Dogs won their flag , Beveridge said , at h/time in GF both Stephen King and Joel Corey were instrumental in getting the midfield match up right fot the 2nd half

Well King has come to Geel , a much heralded experienced midfield coach , yet Geel midfield is pathetic . Corey has been the midfield coach at Frem for the past 2 seasons , and the Fremantle midfield is hopelessly inconsistent

Geel need to win , a few comments re players mentioned

Occonor cant agree someone said he played a good game last week , there is no creativity or dash with his play at present , he basically picks up the ball like a rugby league player , stands his ground and braces himself for the tacklers , as to say im not going to lose any territory , on last weeks game you could drop him

Mullin , ive been a supporter , thought he was improving , however he took giant strides backwards last week , he was terrible , looked totally lost , subbed off early in the 3rd qtr , on last weeks game you could drop him

Bowes was bitterly dissappointing last week , but has played some decent games this year so he will probably keep his spot , but last week you can see why Gold Coast got rid of him

I think Geel have to either promote players from the 2nds or try other senior players in the midfield

You think at times what good are assistant coaches , when Dogs won their flag , Beveridge said , at h/time in GF both Stephen King and Joel Corey were instrumental in getting the midfield match up right fot the 2nd half

Well King has come to Geel , a much heralded experienced midfield coach , yet Geel midfield is pathetic . Corey has been the midfield coach at Frem for the past 2 seasons , and the Fremantle midfield is hopelessly inconsistent
Added king and James R.
Not much improvement 😕.

I’m certainly not in a rush to get rid of him.

I’d do it in a heartbeat for #1 alone though.

Im just saying that he is no longer in the gun category… I do hope he gets back there and I’m not ruling that out.
The last 6 years have had kids come through where they were pretty clearly elite, with the exception of 2020 where pick 1 misses JUH and the next two selected were Thilthorpe and Phillips.

You don't have to go back too far to see Patton and McGrath. Or guys whose careers were ended prematurely like Boyd and McCartin. Does FOS really stand out enough?

I would not do the trade.

Zuthrie says "Hi" 👋
View attachment 2031266

View attachment 2031267

Yes, Zuthrie was 19yo when drafted in 2017 + now 25yo, 188cm + 84kg
SDK is 23yo, 204cm + 87kg. Unfair to compare to his brother, who is 24yo, 204cm, yet 16kg heavier, has two years more preseason + 18 months natural development.

To quote an experienced + knowledgeable poster:

Considering SDK's horrendous facial injury, which I believe has hindered his form + development, he needs two years for further development. If he is to remain as a backup ruck, we're all aware rucks need a longer time to develop, consequently, he would be considered three years behind another ruck aged 23yo.
How has a fractured maxillary and nasal bone disrupted his gym work since he has gotten back?? Maybe form which is very soft mentally if true... His injury is being exaggerated alot.

I look forward to him putting size on amd being physically competitive. Right now, he is mentally and physically weak and opoonents have worked that out. He doesnt like the physical side of footy

The last 6 years have had kids come through where they were pretty clearly elite, with the exception of 2020 where pick 1 misses JUH and the next two selected were Thilthorpe and Phillips.

You don't have to go back too far to see Patton and McGrath. Or guys whose careers were ended prematurely like Boyd and McCartin. Does FOS really stand out enough?

I would not do the trade.
Wouldn't trade SDK for #1?

We need to get you doing the negotiating with North, we might come out with their R1 + R2.

But IMO (which means nothing)... I'd take Smillie or even FOS every day of the week over SDK.

Not 2022 SDK... but SDK 2023/2024.

I have no idea what this post means in regards to SDK not playing like a "gun" anymore.
He is young.

He is not muscly.

He is laconic, meaning he appears to amble about a lot of the time without a care.

He gets sooky looks on his face when things don't go so well.

Put that all together and it is easy to conclude he is not hard, does not care so much and is basically a wimp for not caring.

Let's trade him to Norf and see how that goes down the track.

Wouldn't trade SDK for #1?

We need to get you doing the negotiating with North, we might come out with their R1 + R2.

But IMO (which means nothing)... I'd take Smillie or even FOS every day of the week over SDK.

Not 2022 SDK... but SDK 2023/2024.
I'm also assuming that North get our first back in that scenario.

I'm just not that impressed with the top end so far. I did like Jagga Smith in his game against WA though. That kid looks like a number 1 pick

How has a fractured maxillary and nasal bone disrupted his gym work since he has gotten back?? Maybe form which is very soft mentally if true... His injury is being exaggerated alot.

I look forward to him putting size on amd being physically competitive. Right now, he is mentally and physically weak and opoonents have worked that out. He doesnt like the physical side of footy
I'd say that the fitness guys along with the coaches have planned out how they want SDK to grow into himself without over burdening his body (to where soft tissue injuries could be more common).

The facial fracture has nothing to do with that anyways. It has more to do with how he goes for the ball, how he feels in contested instances. What I had noticed was that he was not flying for marks like 2022 ... until the second half last week - there was finally the agression for the ball again! I think we need to thank his brother for roughing him and getting him to forget about his face.

Here's hoping we sere more of that this week and beyond.

Hardie isn't a bigger body though

Edit/addition - from FootyWire, and we know the weights may not be up to date,

Mannagh: 178cm & 80kg
Parfitt: 180cm & 82kg
Atkins: 180cm & 86kg
Clohesy: 184cm & 77kg
Bruhn: 184cm & 83kg
Hardie: 185cm & 84kg
Tuohy: 187cm & 94kg
Stevens: 189cm & 101kg (def dropped a few kgs though)
Knevitt: 192cm & 85kg

Stevens looks our next genuine bigger bodied mid, while Knevitt has the height but currently looks more suited to the wing
But Stevens is slow. Could fit in if he just does inside work. How recent are those weights? Hardie looks a lot heavier than Mannagh and Atkins. Atkins looks a lot lighter than 86kg. If Parfitt and Atkins ran into each other Parfitt would come out the better.

He is young.

He is not muscly.

He is laconic, meaning he appears to amble about a lot of the time without a care.

He gets sooky looks on his face when things don't go so well.

Put that all together and it is easy to conclude he is not hard, does not care so much and is basically a wimp for not caring.

Let's trade him to Norf and see how that goes down the track.
Hmmm

I think i remember the exact same post about Tom Hawkins in the early days…

Of course ok to have a view…as long as when he develops and proves you wrong you come back on and say so. Which I am sure you will be happy to do so.

My prediction (which I will also come back in a few years and see how it goes) will be a very very important player in our next premiership. I am not at all suprised that he is having a tough couple of years as it is quite normal (even after a break out year) for a 200cm+ player to take 5-7 years to be a “beast”. (Actually can’t think of too many in that 23-25 yo 200cm+ that I would say is a dominate player - but lots in that 26yo+)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty simple, win the ball first!

If they can’t win the ball then they need to hunt all over the ground.

Anyone who can’t or doesn’t want to do these two things can piss off IMO.

I love how when things go badly for the team supporters want to pin it on certain players they have deemed soft or mentally weak because of… reasons. Too many harsh armchair critics on here.

He may look laconic and that he doesn’t care, but this kid does. Had it all his own way in his first year as a cog in the most dominant AFL side since Geelong 2011. Had a fair bit against him last year (injuries, physical attention, weaker team). This year he’s finding his way in a defense that is getting pummeled. He will find his way, you don’t trade away your future, this kid is no Rory Lobb.

I'd say that the fitness guys along with the coaches have planned out how they want SDK to grow into himself without over burdening his body (to where soft tissue injuries could be more common).

The facial fracture has nothing to do with that anyways. It has more to do with how he goes for the ball, how he feels in contested instances. What I had noticed was that he was not flying for marks like 2022 ... until the second half last week - there was finally the agression for the ball again! I think we need to thank his brother for roughing him and getting him to forget about his face.

Here's hoping we sere more of that this week and beyond.
Kind of what Scotty was saying about playing him in the centre, want him around the ball and getting his confidence back. You forget what an excellent ground ball player he is & it was great to see him flying for marks again. Would be hard to be a defender in this team at the moment, the way the ball is coming in. I mean Henry and Stewart are guns and have looked very average at times this year.
Getting him around the ball and being attacking might just spark him back to/or better than 2022 form

He may look laconic and that he doesn’t care, but this kid does. Had it all his own way in his first year as a cog in the most dominant AFL side since Geelong 2011. Had a fair bit against him last year (injuries, physical attention, weaker team). This year he’s finding his way in a defense that is getting pummeled. He will find his way, you don’t trade away your future, this kid is no Rory Lobb .

I remember Hawthorn once trading away a young Croad + McPharlin for some draft picks.

As a rule trading away good young players would not be the norm.

Under certain circumstances, I think rules are worth breaking.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only change was Neale for Hawkins. The MC is going to keep playing the same players hoping they get their mojo back.

Are you saying no to Doritos...

Coaches votes from the VFL:

9 Mitch Knevitt (GEE)
6 Jimmy Miller (PM)
5 Fraser Rosman (PM)
4 Shannon Neale (GEE)
3 Tom Hird (PM)
3 Toby Conway (GEE)

Give Mitch a game

Hmmm

I think i remember the exact same post about Tom Hawkins in the early days…

Of course ok to have a view…as long as when he develops and proves you wrong you come back on and say so. Which I am sure you will be happy to do so.

My prediction (which I will also come back in a few years and see how it goes) will be a very very important player in our next premiership. I am not at all suprised that he is having a tough couple of years as it is quite normal (even after a break out year) for a 200cm+ player to take 5-7 years to be a “beast”. (Actually can’t think of too many in that 23-25 yo 200cm+ that I would say is a dominate player - but lots in that 26yo+)
Spot on.

Plus he has the premiership medal on his shelf already which may impact in the darker moments.

I have no doubt he will come good and be a great player for us in the next year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back