Autopsy Rd 11 Vent thread Carlton vs ... some team

Remove this Banner Ad

Devastating loss but we are glossing over some real positives ... LEVI, Waite, our backline, Cachia/Brock/Curnow and the manner we dominated general play for most of first half.

The mistake we made tonight was give them a sniff. Everyone is claiming how weak we were, but stopping momentum is hard.

Now I don't like bagging my players, but please let's take our blindfolds off when watching Lucas. His awareness, skills, decision making and physicality are abysmal. I don't care what anyone says, he kicks the goal .. We win!

You also wanted to buy Crameri and pay him more than Thomas.

How did he go against White tonight?

Crameri is a handy player. But I never said we should pay him Thomas money, I said that he would be a more valuable acquisition for the club and would cost us less.

I also wanted the club to lure over Taylor Walker in 2011.

Mick takes time to settle on a list. He's a good coach and can emotionally energise his team. On the downside, his style means he'll back in some fat-arse wombats who shouldn't play. But give it some time.

Bad luck tonight.

People are confusing turning points (Lucas miss) with poor games (Lucas had a solid game). Remember when Simmo played a blinder against the cheats, only to commit a howler late in the game? Need to be clear about Lucas. His form this year has been good. Like all young players, he has areas for improvement.

I think Robbo is the guy whose position is under threat. Yarran looked like he was dirty he was sub, and based on MM's comment before the game about how the sub feels like they've been dropped, I wonder whether Yaz made his displeasure known before the game. If so, not good enough. Eddie will hopefully be better for the run, but shows the problem with coming back in after weeks off. We need to exercise some caution with Carrotts, even if fit for the Hawks.

Devastating loss but we are glossing over some real positives ... LEVI, Waite, our backline, Cachia/Brock/Curnow and the manner we dominated general play for most of first half.

The mistake we made tonight was give them a sniff. Everyone is claiming how weak we were, but stopping momentum is hard.

Now I don't like bagging my players, but please let's take our blindfolds off when watching Lucas. His awareness, skills, decision making and physicality are abysmal. I don't care what anyone says, he kicks the goal .. We win!
Actually, if Judd kicks the goal, we win. That would have put the game beyond reach.

I am so sick of people defending Kane Lucas.

Lucas has been very average all year long, we are 11 round's into the season, there are no more excuses. He has the most perfect, front-running role ever so is made to look ok on occasions with easy goals.

His game tonight was absolutely terrible and it wasn't just that 'one shot' (which was also terrible). His indecision is horrible, he can't stick a tackle, he gets the ball 35m out and doesn't make the distance (a play that hasn't had much spotlight because Eddie managed to create a goal). Essendon's first goal of the game he decides to leave Hocking to try to affect the ball carrier, another wrong decision. He is just not up to AFL standard and there is no reason to continue to play him.

We would benefit a lot more from having Bell in the team or even Menzel, anyone who can man up an opponent and not make glaringly terrible mistakes.

It's not completely Lucas's fault, Malthouse has to stop naming him in the 22. :mad:

I think we were very lucky. The amount of turnovers we gave up meant we nearly deserved to lose. I was blown away by Waite and Casboult, and as you can imagine, am gaga over getting a good result. You won't see me gloating though. Carlton the better team for about 80% of the game
Well done Lance, you have genuinely come to our board for discussion about the game and appear to have continued in this fashion after yet another epic finish.

I thought we were the better side for the majority of the night and thought Waite and Casboult were terrific also, but just couldn't put the game on ice when we needed to.:thumbsu:

Agree 100%. I can't get over his defenders anymore. His role requires him to never man up, to float into space and then he turns the ball over.

People are confusing turning points (Lucas miss) with poor games (Lucas had a solid game). Remember when Simmo played a blinder against the cheats, only to commit a howler late in the game? Need to be clear about Lucas. His form this year has been good. Like all young players, he has areas for improvement.

Lucas did not have a solid game. His form this year has not been good.

Lucas has been very average all year long, we are 11 round's into the season, there are no more excuses. He has the most perfect, front-running role ever so is made to look ok on occasions with easy goals.

His game tonight was absolutely terrible and it wasn't just that 'one shot' (which was also terrible). His indecision is horrible, he can't stick a tackle, he gets the ball 35m out and doesn't make the distance (a play that hasn't had much spotlight because Eddie managed to create a goal). Essendon's first goal of the game he decides to leave Hocking to try to affect the ball carrier, another wrong decision. He is just not up to AFL standard and there is no reason to continue to play him.

We would benefit a lot more from having Bell in the team or even Menzel, anyone who can man up an opponent and not make glaringly terrible mistakes.

It's not completely Lucas's fault, Malthouse has to stop naming him in the 22. :mad:

I second that - I'm fed up with the Lucas apologists.

My record speaks for itself, I rarely, if ever, criticise our own players. If you look back at my post history I was an advocate of Carazzo back when he was much maligned by people on this board, and I've always backed Mclean, Armfield, Robinson, and the list goes on. But it is plainly obvious for all to see, that Lucas is continually letting the team down on a number of fronts. Cachia has well and truly surpassed him in his 6 games for the club.

Yep, premierships incoming right!?

Sorry to break it to you but we have more pain coming.

There might be some good wins and there might be some finals but there are no premierships in our future right now.

Premiership teams finish top four. Premiership teams win the games they should win.

We are a bottom of the eight team. Again. Geelong would have won tonight. Sydney would have won tonight.

The whole thing is about premierships is that you win the games you should win.

We are not that kind of team yet. With retirements coming up soon, we don't look like becoming that team anytime soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sick of people bashing Lucas like he's been dreadful.

Why would Mick play someone who had nothing to offer?

I gues the experienced coach sees it differently with Lucas equalling his games from the last two years (first and second year were ruined by injury) in season 2013.

Actually, if Judd kicks the goal, we win. That would have put the game beyond reach.

Said the same thing.

Why oh why did this have to happen? Why couldn't we put them away? Why was Waite and Casboult the only forwards that fired? Why was Robbo subbed off when it should've been Lucas? How did Lucas miss that goal? How did we allow them to run over the top of us?

FML!!!

"You can actually hurt Watson because he's so slow in defence. He doesn't defend very well at all. They all say he's getting better, I disbelieve that. He's a great pusher of the ball forward." Mark Maclure.

It's a bit of a worry but having watched a few NB games this year I'd agree. I wouldn't have him in the ones. He doesn't look like an answer to me.

I gues the experienced coach sees it differently with Lucas equalling his games from the last two years (first and second year were ruined by injury) in season 2013.

Similar to dropdead1, I don't bag our players, almost at all. I've given Lucas 10 games and week after week I find myself thinking he is costing us games. Is he developing? I don't see any positive differences from his Round 1 match to now.

We aren't exactly blessed with an awesome amount of gut running players who break lines so I'm happy to see him develop since the guy hasn't actually played that many games yet and still has plenty of upside.

Said the same thing.

Why oh why did this have to happen? Why couldn't we put them away? Why was Waite and Casboult the only forwards that fired? Why was Robbo subbed off when it should've been Lucas? How did Lucas miss that goal? How did we allow them to run over the top of us?

FML!!!
I would have subbed Betts out at half time, to give Yazz a better run at it. Betts showed that the lack of match continuity had caught up with him.

Murphy: Pretty good, but is still lacking something........
Judd: Thought he was good.
Gibbs: Quite good, too cute by foot though still
Betts: Was he playing?
Garlett: Tried, was well held.
Waite: Very good, disappointing that we couldn't keep him going late.
Jamison: Same as always. Reliable at the back.
Henderson: Much like Jamison, reliable, bad mistake at the end but not just his fault.
Walker: Is it just me or was he a step slower than usual? Was his hamstring playing up? Saw him hobbling right before half time....
Robinson: Unable to impose himself on the match.
Kreuzer: Thought he was good in the ruck. Tired late.
Cachia: Great job on Watson. It really should've been match winning......
Scotland: Looking a bit old, getting into sticky situations but was quite good.
Simpson: Probably his best game this season.
Yarran: Tough to be the sub, but his last effort was poor. Had to get it out of bounds.
McLean: Good, not his best though. Needed to slot that late goal.
Lucas: Gets the ball fine, but still unsure of what he's going to do with it.
Tuohy: Good game from him.
Casboult: Could be important if he can clunk them every week like that. I hope he's been taught how to kick better.....
Curnow: Not sure how to rate his game.
Armfield: A bit quite from Dennis.
White: Okay
Some pretty good points there NBA. Would just mention I thought Curnow played his role pretty well. He was on Stanton much of the time and Stanton has been one of their best this year.

White also played well against Crameri who can turn it on at times.

Having said that your other comments generally pretty fair.

I'm not sure whether you watch games on tv or at the ground, but having watched him live just about every game this year, in my eyes he has not had a year that justifies the number of senior games he's got. Credit to MM for giving him a go, but the experiment has to stop!

The coach is still learning the capabilities of the list - there's no doubt that MM has made a number of strategic errors this season. Whether that be playing the 3 rucks, or not using a tag in round 1.

It won't be long until Lucas is dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 11 Vent thread Carlton vs ... some team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back