Rankine on Starc.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the right question. It is insanity that pure chance = 4 weeks.

The MRP deserves a lot of criticism, but it doesn’t help when people criticising it simply refuse to learn the guidelines and interpretations.

The Rankine situation has been well-established for years now.

It’s really simple. If you choose to bump when you had a better alternative, you incur full responsibility for the outcome. What you “were trying to do” is entirely irrelevant.

It was off the ball, so Rankine had a clear alternative… don’t bump him.

Once he makes the decision to bump, the rest is easy. It’s an intentional act to bump. Whether he intended to hit him high or not doesn’t matter in the assessment of intentional. Put that grading in the book.

He hit him high, it’s high contact. Put it in the book.

The only ground for appeal might be whether the impact was severe. Not sure if that was based off any medical information or not. If the Crows roll the dice, it will be on that.

I acknowledge the 4 weeks but out of interest would there be any sanction if there was no incidental head contact?
No. It's a painful quirk.

It's one that the AFL could eliminate but they aren't interested in making the game safer, they are interested in covering their behinds with litigation

Was a weak act, the hilarity to see some Crows supporters say Rankine was bracing for contact lmao. Dude lined him up for a chest bump and caught his head. 3-4 weeks is about right considering he's put Starce out for 2 weeks with concussion.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

For the record I agree that he deserves the ban, noting that he chose to bump so deals with the consequences. I was just curious that it seems he wouldn’t have been sanctioned if he flattened him with 100% chest contact, off the ball.

Was a weak act, the hilarity to see some Crows supporters say Rankine was bracing for contact lmao. Dude lined him up for a chest bump and caught his head.

To be fair, the first video going around from the AFL was awfully edited and starts too late into the incident, giving people the impression they were basically going at each other.

Live from a better angle it was clear that Rankine lined him up. Not sure if any behind the goals footage has been released yet but when it is, it will dispel any notion of Rankine “bracing for contact” or that it was a case of both players going at each other.

Last edited:
For the record I agree that he deserves the ban, noting that he chose to bump so deals with the consequences. I was just curious that it seems he wouldn’t have been sanctioned if he flattened him with 100% chest contact, off the ball.

Very likely.

2 players contesting for position off the ball and Rankine just got the wrong timing on him.

Regardless of the outcome it won't make any difference in Adelaide's season and it is pointless to challenge this.

2 players contesting for position off the ball and Rankine just got the wrong timing on him.

Regardless of the outcome it won't make any difference in Adelaide's season and it is pointless to challenge this.

What? Starc was clearly heading into the defensive 50 while watching to see where the ball was likely to go, Rankine SHOULD have also been looking to move back into the 50 incase the ball came in quick and fast. He chose instead to put his hip and shoulder into a player running back to their position and in the process smacked him in the chin with his shoulder.

How hard is it to just...NOT bump someone off the ball who is unaware its coming?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what it matters that he wasn't trying to hit him in the head. Its a weak act off the ball even if he didnt get him high but the fact it did means he can miss a month. If it wasn't an "accident" then he would be on the side lines for half the year

2 players contesting for position off the ball

Stopped reading there. You are wrong.

When I said above that people have been misled by the first edit video put out by the AFL, this is a textbook case.

It was not players jostling for position. Starcevich was clearly running back towards defensive 50 and had no idea that Rankine was there. Rankine took the juicy opportunity to line him up fair and square but messed up the bump by getting him high.

When you see other angles of the video you will absolutely see it the same way.

Well I don't think they can claim it was intentional. High impact, high contact, reckless maybe, but isn't that 2 or 3 weeks?

The reckless grading doesn’t exist anymore. There is only careless and intentional.

There has recently been the tendency to grade careless if the bump was part of a footballing act. E.g you went the bump to win a contest for the ball and you had no other realistic alternative.

Once you do it off the ball though, you generally lose the benefit of the doubt and they are more likely to grade as intentional. It might seem harsh but it’s the only way to adjudicate it without the ability to read player’s minds.

Last edited:
Well then you don't know the rules. He intentionally hit him off the ball and the fact he collected him high in the process is his responsibility
The reckless grading doesn’t exist anymore. There is only careless and intentional.

There has recently been the tendency to grade careless if the bump was part of a footballing act. E.g you went the bump to win a contest for the ball and you had no other realistic alternative.

Once you do it off the ball though, you generally lose the benefit of the doubt and they are more likely to grade as intentional. It might seem harsh but it’s the only way to adjudicate it without the ability to read player’s minds.
Fair enough. Unlucky for Rankine but he took the risk I guess

The MRP deserves a lot of criticism, but it doesn’t help when people criticising it simply refuse to learn the guidelines and interpretations.

The Rankine situation has been well-established for years now.

It’s really simple. If you choose to bump when you had a better alternative, you incur full responsibility for the outcome. What you “were trying to do” is entirely irrelevant.

It was off the ball, so Rankine had a clear alternative… don’t bump him.

Once he makes the decision to bump, the rest is easy. It’s an intentional act to bump. Whether he intended to hit him high or not doesn’t matter in the assessment of intentional. Put that grading in the book.

He hit him high, it’s high contact. Put it in the book.

The only ground for appeal might be whether the impact was severe. Not sure if that was based off any medical information or not. If the Crows roll the dice, it will be on that.

I think you're getting confused between not learning something and criticising it. I hope it was therapeutic for you to summarise the rule, but what I'm criticising is this (helpfully summarised): "'Whether he intended to hit him high or not doesn’t matter in the assessment of intentional". It should.

Compare this to other 4 week incidents (e.g. Tom Stewarts hit on Prestia which was miles worse), this is a crazy outcome.

Yeah nah he should have 360 vison at all times.
Animated GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Rankine on Starc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back